Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:24 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times

Advertisements

The prof calls you: Joe
You call him: John
How complicated is this?

Old 11-04-2013, 07:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I'm not sure why you quoted me to say this when I clearly said I would call him Mr lastname.
Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I agreed with you.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:18 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Hi,

Is it ok to ask that your Prof call you Mr. and your last name? I do not like being addressed by my first name.
While I don't need to be called Mr. LBTRS I do have a bit of a problem with how little respect I'm given as a student when I'm paying nearly $15k per year to them for the education. I'm older (nearing 50) so maybe that has something to do with it and a 20 something wouldn't give it a second thought.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:53 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,989,230 times
I think you are reading too much into this. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I prefer formality. I travel a lot for work and school--I have a unique life as I was injured as as a civilian contractor and thus came away with a large settlement--and in DC when I check out of a hotel it's Mr. In Vegas after dropping a small fortune for four days I was called by my first name. I politely corrected the desk agent and now, at the Cosmo, I am referred to as Mr. I normally address most people as sir and mam.

I had class tonight and the professor addressed me as I requested. It was not a big deal.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:55 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,989,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
While I don't need to be called Mr. LBTRS I do have a bit of a problem with how little respect I'm given as a student when I'm paying nearly $15k per year to them for the education. I'm older (nearing 50) so maybe that has something to do with it and a 20 something wouldn't give it a second thought.
There is a lack of respect demonstrated throughout the country.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:40 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
I think you are reading too much into this. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I prefer formality. I travel a lot for work and school--I have a unique life as I was injured as as a civilian contractor and thus came away with a large settlement--and in DC when I check out of a hotel it's Mr. In Vegas after dropping a small fortune for four days I was called by my first name. I politely corrected the desk agent and now, at the Cosmo, I am referred to as Mr. I normally address most people as sir and mam.

I had class tonight and the professor addressed me as I requested. It was not a big deal.
It goes without saying that it is not a big deal. People here are trying to educate you that everyone is going to grant you your wish and call you Mr. Datafeed. Done! Some people simply are not going to think twice. But also recognize that a very large subset of the population is going to pretend they don't think you are odd and still call you "Mr. Datafeed". Just realize that behind your back they are going to wonder what crawled up your butt and politely keep you in an odd-duck category. So if I am right, your Prof still may of thought "now THAT guy was kind of odd". If that is the way you want to roll, I say go for it!

Next up. You mention about $$'s a lot (how someone one should be addressed because of it). How much you pay or get paid doesn't have anything to do with the subject at hand. That includes how much you drop in Vegas or if you pay $$'s to go to college it completely immaterial. This ^^ is just another example of some odd viewpoints. I don't beat to your drum.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:26 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
The prof calls you: Joe
You call him: John
How complicated is this?
I think that the correct protocol is situationally dependent.

First, I am unalterably opposed to an 18-year-old addressing a 55-year-old full professor (for example) by his or her first name. How completely inappropriate, ignorant, and ill-mannered.

On the other hand, the last time that I taught I had several Navy retirees in my senior-level engineering class (one had himself taught at Nuclear Power School, a really excellent guy). We easily called each other by our first names, and it never occurred to me or to them to expect otherwise -- sort of a man-to-man thing, I guess.

In-between ages, or across sexes, maybe the protocol is not so clear, because we don't have much tradition to draw from of older students interacting with young faculty or of young men addressing accomplished, senior women by their first names.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:34 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
so are you saying you can't legally take attendance in your class because it is a Ferpa violation?

To OP, how will you choose to have this handled at work? Will you ask your boss to refer to you as Mr. Datafeed?
We are told not to take oral attendance. Instead, we are given pictures of every student to take attendance silently. (But this is also to prevent cheating issues.)

Old 11-05-2013, 04:36 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
You aren't paying "them" $15k. Even in my smallest classes, I am getting paid no more than $1k per student. (And in large classes, it can be less than $100 per student.)

Old 11-05-2013, 04:48 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
You aren't paying "them" $15k. Even in my smallest classes, I am getting paid no more than $1k per student. (And in large classes, it can be less than $100 per student.)
By "them" I was talking about the entire institution, not just the Professors. Students are given very little respect in college when they are paying a lot of money to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities