Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:08 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
that's even more disrespectful. i would not call my professor Dick and he should not call me Dave. There is nothing wrong with Prof. Smith and Mr. Smith in the classroom. First names are for peers in an informal setting. i don't like such familiarity...my rank is Mr. Just as your's is Prof.

or they can not address me at all....it really irks me but i do not wish to be rude about my demand so i must couch it carefully.
Most of my students do call me by first name. I have a military designation as well as authority in my classroom. I don't need students to acknowledge it every time they speak to me. Perhaps this has to do with the place and time I grew up. There are well established professors at my university that demand Dr. That is fine as well.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:11 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,174 times
Quote:
Hi,

Is it ok to ask that your Prof call you Mr. and your last name? I do not like being addressed by my first name.
Depends on what you mean by "OK".

If there is some way your professor may not like the hassle of having to consciously factor in a special address for you and that could risk your academics, then it is not OK. He is human after all.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:46 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,894 times
One other factor here is FERPA. I really should not be addressing students by first name in class, but addressing them by last name is absolutely a FERPA violation unless they have signed an op-in release to be personally identified in class. All the instructors in my department have adopted the habit of never using last name in class under any circumstances unless a student has signed the university wide information release waiver.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:35 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
One other factor here is FERPA. I really should not be addressing students by first name in class, but addressing them by last name is absolutely a FERPA violation unless they have signed an op-in release to be personally identified in class. All the instructors in my department have adopted the habit of never using last name in class under any circumstances unless a student has signed the university wide information release waiver.
It is only a FERPA issue for people who don't understand FERPA because it is not a FERPA violation. Directory information is not FERPA protected unless the students decides to opt out. "Opt in" is the default setting and does not require anyone's permission or a form. If your institution requires people to "opt in" it is doing it backwards and contrary to the regulation. In addition, CFR 99.37c specifically states that a student's identity is not protected in the classroom setting.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:42 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Addressing students by name in class is NOT a FERPA violation.

FERPA provisions are clear in that they do not include a right to remain anonymous in class, and that they are not to be used to impede routine classroom communication and interaction.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:44 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,174 times
Quote:
I do not like being addressed by my first name.
Man, I wish my college experience was so easy that I actually spent 0.000000001% of my energy worrying about this.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:34 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Everyone is making too much out of this. The OP would feel more comfortable being addressed as Mr., so what? That's not a big deal at all.

Nope, it isn't. It is his preference. Of course, he will be disappointed because this isn't going to happen.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:40 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Datafeed. We all of have our hot buttons. Yours happens to be the need to be called "Mr." by people who you are not friends with. Our former two neighbors were in the military. One was a Lieutenant Colonel and the other was a Major. Both mandated they be called "Mr." with the kids in the neighborhood. Their own kids had to call every adult "Sir or Ma'ma or Mr. So-and-So." If I said "you call call me Joe", their father would pipe in and say "no, they are to address you as "Mister" and they did.

But both fathers still don't feel comfortable hearing my 22 year old address them by their 1st name after hundreds of conversations. Go figure.

That said, you viewpoints are factually old school. Realize that if thousands of other Americans shake your hand in a formal introduction, they WILL think it is odd you say your name is "Mr. Datafeed". So the overwhelming majority of people are going to wonder what is up your butt. So get ready to be judged time and time again. Luckily for you, someone who doesn't know you is telling you what is the norm. I'm going to jump to an (inaccurate conclusion) that you are odd or have a chip on your shoulder. The Prof is just another person who is going to think your request is strange.
Lol, not as weird or as eccentric as you may think...you pegged it right: it's just my pet peeve...that and people who insist on traversing an intersection and camping out on the median until a suitable moment arises for them to skirt into traffic.

I just like formality...and my last name is more mundane that datafeed....

Old 11-04-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Nope, it isn't. It is his preference. Of course, he will be disappointed because this isn't going to happen.
Au contraie mon frere....I emailed my professor this am with the request and his reply was "Ok. Did you ask me this sooner?, Mr.XXX.

I don't think he really cares.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Depends on what you mean by "OK".

If there is some way your professor may not like the hassle of having to consciously factor in a special address for you and that could risk your academics, then it is not OK. He is human after all.
do you really believe a professor--an adjunct nevertheless--would be so unprofessional, immoral, and unethical to screw my grade because I politely asked to be called Mr.? Really, my oh my do you walk among small men

Last edited by Datafeed; 11-04-2013 at 01:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities