Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:55 PM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times

Advertisements

Meh... respect is earned, not bought.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:07 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
By "them" I was talking about the entire institution, not just the Professors. Students are given very little respect in college when they are paying a lot of money to be there.
Colleges are academic institutions, and students are on the lowest rung in the academic pecking order.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:18 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Most of my students do call me by first name. I have a military designation as well as authority in my classroom. I don't need students to acknowledge it every time they speak to me. Perhaps this has to do with the place and time I grew up. There are well established professors at my university that demand Dr. That is fine as well.
I've yet to run across a professor that demanded to be called "Dr. Professorperson" once they got to know a student.

Maybe for freshmen in undergrad, but I didn't really decide to pursue full-time college work until I was 23, and I was a parent by then and my professors knew it.

I chose to call some of them "Dr. Professorperson" because they were as old as my grandparents and it seemed respectful. The ones my parents age or younger I called by their first names. This was in undergrad.

By the time I got to grad school, I was 37 and I called everyone by their first names once we had been introduced and I was taking classes with them. I'm doing a 2nd master's now and that's pretty much how it's going so far with that program as well.

I think that one can be very respectful toward another person without having to be so formal. Especially as one adult to another.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:22 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
I think you are reading too much into this. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I prefer formality. I travel a lot for work and school--I have a unique life as I was injured as as a civilian contractor and thus came away with a large settlement--and in DC when I check out of a hotel it's Mr. In Vegas after dropping a small fortune for four days I was called by my first name. I politely corrected the desk agent and now, at the Cosmo, I am referred to as Mr. I normally address most people as sir and mam.

I had class tonight and the professor addressed me as I requested. It was not a big deal.
I'm glad the professor humored you, but you really do need to realize that not everyone you meet in life is a bellhop or a desk clerk that wants to pacify you so they'll get a good tip.

I am, however, fascinated by your impression than you spending a lot of money means that people will address you formally. I get called Mrs. Meh_whatever at the Four Seasons AND at Holiday Inn Express.

That's what you get from the service industry.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
By "them" I was talking about the entire institution, not just the Professors. Students are given very little respect in college when they are paying a lot of money to be there.
I see that students are not referred to as "Mr" and "Miss" but I don't see that student's are given very little respect. Professors generally respect their students for the effort they put into academia and higher education.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:22 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Meh... respect is earned, not bought.
Nonsense, the consumer marketplace respects the customer that spends their money and keeps them in "business". I'm a consumer of the universities educational product and should be afforded basic respect as such. I'm not talking about respect for my academic work as I have to earn that, I'm talking about general respect by the institution for choosing their educational product to spend my money on.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:25 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Hi,

Is it ok to ask that your Prof call you Mr. and your last name? I do not like being addressed by my first name.

Since he is the Professor (not Prof) and you are the student it is perfectly acceptable for the Professor to address you by your first name.
He is there to teach you not to refer to you differently than any other student no matter what your age.

If you don't like it, go to a different University.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:28 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Nonsense, the consumer marketplace respects the customer that spends their money and keeps them in "business". I'm a consumer of the universities educational product and should be afforded basic respect as such. I'm not talking about respect for my academic work as I have to earn that, I'm talking about general respect by the institution for choosing their educational product to spend my money on.
Academia is not a business.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I see that students are not referred to as "Mr" and "Miss" but I don't see that student's are given very little respect. Professors generally respect their students for the effort they put into academia and higher education.
Again, I'm not talking about respect for my academic achievement, I'm talking about respect for me as a consumer of their product.

Everything at my university is on their schedule for their convenience and very little thought is given to what I want or what my schedule is. I'm told how I can pay for my tuition (no credit cards), when/where I have to be to register for classes, what times I have to meet outside of class for group work, what classes I can and can't take (have to take some BS elective instead of an elective that will actually do me some good), a change in class start times for the benefit of the Professors and no students wanted it, etc.

I always feel like I'm bothering someone when I need to use the advising office, registrars office, admin services, etc.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Academia is not a business.
Haha, you're kidding me right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities