Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 04:06 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,167,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Clearly, you didn't take business 101.
Clearly a non-profit is a business organization. I suspect he did in fact take business 101.

"Nonprofit Organizations:

A nonprofit organization exists to provide a particular service to the community. The word "nonprofit" refers to a type of business -- one which is organized under rules that forbid the distribution of profits to owners. "Profit" in this context is a relatively technical accounting term, related to but not identical with the notion of a surplus of revenues over expenditures." From Two Basic Types of Organizations: For-Profit (Business) and Nonprofit

Quote:
A business has to churn a profit. The OP's school, Columbia University, and my university, both spend more than they take in from tuition and public aid. This is true of most good schools.
Then you should know that a non-profit business must churn revenue in order to keep it's doors open. That means endowments are crucial as well as research dollars. Colleges that have bright students (who eventually do well in life) allow them the resources to "give back" later on.

As I said, The folks running the show deep down always understand that it is a business. Many of those illogical decisions that you see being made are to follow the money. Columbia customers are the organizations who give the grants, the students who partially pay the overhead, the government who subsidizes the tuition (FAFSA), and especially the former students who give to their Alma Mater.

The department heads who are busy applying for grants and research funds know it is a business. The administration has done a great job selling you that they exclusively have a higher cause. But rest assured the officers and deans absolutely understand that education is a business.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:34 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times
Quote:
Clearly, you didn't take business 101.
Lol, I'm a Business Major so that would have been hard to accomplish.

There are many non-profit businesses and there are many "businesses" that fail to "churn a profit" so your definition can't be correct.

A business must generate revenue to fund continuous operations and academia spends a lot of effort in maintaining or increasing revenues and keep the "business" in business (athletics, recruitment, tuition hikes, obtaining endowments, obtaining government funding, etc.). Heck, there are MANY for-profit colleges and universities today that are part of academia and trying to "churn a profit".

It is most definitely a business.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post

There are many non-profit businesses and there are many "businesses" that fail to "churn a profit" so your definition can't be correct.

A business must generate revenue to fund continuous operations and academia spends a lot of effort in maintaining or increasing revenues and keep the "business" in business (athletics, recruitment, tuition hikes, obtaining endowments, obtaining government funding, etc.). Heck, there are MANY for-profit colleges and universities today that are part of academia and trying to "churn a profit".

+1. I tried repping you again but I couldn't. Some think churches aren't a "business" either.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post

My son goes to a service academy. He gets paid $48K to attend. On average, the government spends in the low $400K range per student. That is one of very few colleges that isn't a business per say. It's 100% government owned and operated. That said, I don't think the students want to call their instructors by their 1st name.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
My son goes to a service academy. He gets paid $48K to attend. On average, the government spends in the low $400K range per student. That is one of very few colleges that isn't a business per say. It's 100% government owned and operated. That said, I don't think the students want to call their instructors by their 1st name.
I agree, the service academies are not in the business of generating their own revenue. They are government organizations that are funded completely by taxpayer dollars with the exception of some athletic programs that are funded through foundations (which are businesses) setup to support athletics and make it more like a regular college experience.

Congrats to your son, which academy is he attending?

Last edited by LBTRS; 11-08-2013 at 09:25 AM..

Old 11-08-2013, 10:24 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,300,531 times
I have had plenty of students ask to be called things other than their first name, and I have always honored the request unless I thought it would be disruptive, as in the case of the student who wanted to be called by his baseball number. I can't imagine any professor would have a problem with this. I often call students Mr. or Ms. Firstname Lastname due to an abundance of students with the same names.

It is a department policy that our first and second year lecture students call us by our titles (Dr., Prof., etc.) but once a student joins my research group or is a senior major then we switch to first names. Most of my students are traditional students 1 year out of high school, but when I have older students we address one another much more symmetrically when outside of the classroom.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I have had plenty of students ask to be called things other than their first name, and I have always honored the request unless I thought it would be disruptive, as in the case of the student who wanted to be called by his baseball number. I can't imagine any professor would have a problem with this. I often call students Mr. or Ms. Firstname Lastname due to an abundance of students with the same names.

It is a department policy that our first and second year lecture students call us by our titles (Dr., Prof., etc.) but once a student joins my research group or is a senior major then we switch to first names. Most of my students are traditional students 1 year out of high school, but when I have older students we address one another much more symmetrically when outside of the classroom.
What I hate are the Professors that insist we tell them and the class what we want to be called and don't mention what they want to be called. Several times I've went the entire semester confused as to what I should be calling them so I always error on the side of their title while other students are calling them by their first names. I then feel that the other students think I'm a "butt-kisser" for calling them Professor Smith or Dr. Smith when everyone else is calling them Dave.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:57 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
I am a junior at an Ivy League school...I love it and have had a wonderful experience.
Of course you are, Columbia no less. What are the odds, one of mine is a sophomore there as well. I doubt you are in the same program.

Anyway, unless you are planning for a business degree I strongly discourage you from considering a graduate degree with that chip/boulder on your shoulder.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Of course you are, Columbia no less. What are the odds, one of mine is a sophomore there as well. I doubt you are in the same program.

Anyway, unless you are planning for a business degree I strongly discourage you from considering a graduate degree with that chip/boulder on your shoulder.
Does the OP even attend?

Fremont Street getting out of control?

Quote:
I live downtown and what's worse than the panhandling is that the homeless use the side of my highrise as a port a potty...nothing like going for a run in the am and seeing a man defecate as you turn the corner....

we can pay for more cops, more jails, or more shelters....but we gotta do something...

Quote:
Admittedly, I have a an inferiority complex and feel ashamed when savvier people boast about their elite educations.
Quote:
honestly, I am a little messed up from that line of work: little social skills,few friends, no experience in the real world, an inability to relate to most people, and no gf sans some vegas gold digger types. i was hoping that school will help me reintegrate and meet some decent people.
Yet in people trying to correct him and assist in relating to the real world, he ignores all advice.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-08-2013 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: removed rude comment

Old 11-08-2013, 01:36 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

I go to GS...I am an undergrad...non traditional student...MBAs are silly and useless...Thank you Sir
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities