Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 11:33 AM

151 posts, read 424,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
Considering the number of threads the OP posts on this subject, I'm wondering if Wavelength is:
A) an engineer, doctor or accountant and truly wants to help future students
B) a holder of a degree in the liberal arts (non STEM) and has a good job from this degree and wants to maintain his/her hold on the market
C) a holder of a degree in the liberal arts (non STEM) and does not have a job in his/her chosen field and thus disgruntled and wants to hate on these majors
D) a non degreed person who just doesn't understand the value of any degree that s/he doesn't come directly in contact with
E) a non degreed person who just hates on the college educated
F) someone who really does care about any of it but really likes pushing buttons
Well, I have two degrees, both of them stem. So that eliminates B-E.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 12:25 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
I think it is a very good idea for people to warn future college students not to pursue worthless degrees. I will agree that there are other jobs besides STEM available. Just do your homework. Also, there is nothing wrong with going into the trades. Again, do your homework.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:07 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
That's right. It's already June again. The month dedicated to spreading awareness of worthless degrees.

Captain Capitalism: Worthless Degree Awareness Month

In a few months, the next generation of college students are going to begin classes. We all need to do our part to ensure that they don't waste time or money pursuing worthless degrees which will leave them with huge debts and low wage jobs that provide them with no hopes of repaying those debts.

Remember kids. Think engineering, medical doctor, accounting and other such fruitful career paths.

Check the links below for more information on avoiding financial ruin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGx3TAj7qwA
They are no worthless degrees but there are clearly worthless people as in the attached video in your post...

When Your College Grad Studies Something That Won't Get Her a Job | TIME.com

Not everyone needs a STEM degree or choose the trades to be "happy"....

A motivated student with a humanities degrees is just as likely to find success and happiness in life, particularly if they are doing something they love not something their parents think they should do...

Old 06-01-2014, 01:15 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I think it is a very good idea for people to warn future college students not to pursue worthless degrees. I will agree that there are other jobs besides STEM available. Just do your homework. Also, there is nothing wrong with going into the trades. Again, do your homework.
Who decides what is worthless??? Have you investigated all the possible career opportunities available to someone with a supposedly "worthless" degree???

Study after study has shown that a college graduate, any college graduate with any degree, will out earn the high school graduate over a lifetime. If someone doesn't want to be an engineer, doctor or plumber but would like to teach, perform social work or write children's books for a living then they should follow their passion.

There is clearly nothing wrong with going into the trades for someone who really, really wants to pursue those jobs. The constant romanticizing of "trades" on a college message board always intrigues me though...

How many of the folks here who keep pushing the "trades" ever worked in the "trades" themselves???

Most "trades" are demanding, physical,potentially dangerous jobs....jobs that need to be done but not ones I would ever push on my children...

My dad was a tradesman and he never wanted any of his children following in his footsteps...

Old 06-01-2014, 01:21 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
I hate idiotic threads such as this one. Most people without STEM degrees have gone on to have very good, high-paying careers. Heck, my degree was in English and, thirty years later, I will stack up my salary and career accomplishments up against any of the people who, in college, told me "Pshaw, good luck with a degree in THAT." I have more fun and, chances are, I earn considerably more money.

I've always tried to understand the motivation behind the people who start these threads. Behind that preening self-congratulation has to be some really serious insecurity.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:29 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,715 times
It works better reordered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223
that preening self-congratulation
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I have more fun and, chances are, I earn considerably more money.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:49 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Who decides what is worthless??? Have you investigated all the possible career opportunities available to someone with a supposedly "worthless" degree???

Study after study has shown that a college graduate, any college graduate with any degree, will out earn the high school graduate over a lifetime. If someone doesn't want to be an engineer, doctor or plumber but would like to teach, perform social work or write children's books for a living then they should follow their passion.

There is clearly nothing wrong with going into the trades for someone who really, really wants to pursue those jobs. The constant romanticizing of "trades" on a college message board always intrigues me though...

How many of the folks here who keep pushing the "trades" ever worked in the "trades" themselves???

Most "trades" are demanding, physical,potentially dangerous jobs....jobs that need to be done but not ones I would ever push on my children...

My dad was a tradesman and he never wanted any of his children following in his footsteps...
I believe the job market decides what degrees are worthless. I also believe I did say in my post that not everyone had to go into STEM. As far as the trades go, if people aren't college material this could be a good option. Yes, they are dangerous and demanding, hence not for everyone.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
My father was a tool and die maker and he used to tell my brother and I to go to college so we didn't have to work the way he did.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:08 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Amazing how every single reply is based on the assumption that everyone is going to get a degree.

Did any of you ever consider the possibility of not going to college at all? It seems that the brain washing of modern grade schooling is quite strong these days.
Funny, but my post ... the first response BTW ... had absolutely zero to do with any assumption about getting a degree at all. My post was about what an incredible blowhard AH the commentator is ... That isn't you, is it? Keep in mind that perception is about 90% the ability to persuade. And, if the viewer can't even stomach watching you ... much less listening to what you have to say ... you have a problem. So, my opinion on the value of an advanced non-STEM degree has absolutely nothing to do with my reaction to the video.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:27 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
It works better reordered:
Not really, chiefly because I didn't start the thread in the first place. In fact, if the original post wasn't discussing the worthlessness of any degree that isn't in science or engineering, it wouldn't have come up at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities