Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 11:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
We need to not be so narrow minded and obtuse, and realize that the world needs art teachers, social workers and librarians.
I couldn't have said it better. It's clear that the OP did not achieve a college education by the narrow-mindedness towards higher education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 11:48 PM

146 posts, read 241,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Ah yes, the bulletproof "Steve Jobs didn't graduate!" argument. Here's the thing, all of those guys you mentioned are once in a generation entrepreneuers/visionaries and are outliers. Their IQs are in the top .00001% of the curve. 99.99999% of people aren't going to start the next great software innovation company at 20 and need some sort of education to get into the workforce.
Not to mention they got into an industry right when it was young and just staring up. Try becoming an innovator in the software or computer industry now and see how far you get without a lot of experience in a software firm already. People back then also didn't need college degrees to get into computing which they obviously need now in addition to some certifications.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:29 AM

151 posts, read 424,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Auditing college courses won't help you really learn what you learn in college however. Since most of the education occurs outside of the classes, you're really just setting yourself up to be less educated. Which would be fine if that's what you want... but most people who go to college want an education.
Quote:
But to get a higher education, you need to go to college. And not just to attend classes.

The good news is that you can go to college for free if you wanted.
I'm not understanding what you're missing by auditing courses. You're attending the same lectures, you can do the same homework and the same projects as everyone else.

While in college, I audited somewhere around 10 classes. I kept up with all the other students just fine. Some professors even offered to let me take the exams and have them graded.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:18 AM

778 posts, read 823,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
I'm not understanding what you're missing by auditing courses. You're attending the same lectures, you can do the same homework and the same projects as everyone else.

While in college, I audited somewhere around 10 classes. I kept up with all the other students just fine. Some professors even offered to let me take the exams and have them graded.
You sound like you haven't been in a college classroom in a while.

Most of the classes I've been enrolled in for the last few years are full to capacity with enrolled students, and usually have 10+ people on the wait list. People who tried to sign up for the class are turned away because there's no room.

The idea that you can just drop in an audit a course of your choosing is odd to say the least.

It's also a bit insulting to the people who paid (or were willing to pay) to be there. Why are you so special that you get for free what others have to pay for?

Old 06-05-2014, 01:21 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,024 times
Quote:

Yes, but how hard do you really work in those classes?

I've taken a few audited courses myself. The desire to excel in those isn't there by half.

In short, that is dabbling with no consequences.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:

You're missing all the outside-of-the-classroom learning (the college education, essentially). Classroom learning is a small portion of what you learn in college. The tacit knowledge that you learn is what college is all about. And there's very little of that in the classes. Thus auditing classes, alone, will leave you quite uneducated (in terms of a college education). It's basically the same as going to college just to take classes and nothing else.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
You sound like you haven't been in a college classroom in a while.

Most of the classes I've been enrolled in for the last few years are full to capacity with enrolled students, and usually have 10+ people on the wait list. People who tried to sign up for the class are turned away because there's no room.

The idea that you can just drop in an audit a course of your choosing is odd to say the least.

It's also a bit insulting to the people who paid (or were willing to pay) to be there. Why are you so special that you get for free what others have to pay for?
Auditing a class is not free (at least at any decent college I know of).

Old 06-05-2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:
You're missing all the outside-of-the-classroom learning (the college education, essentially). Classroom learning is a small portion of what you learn in college. The tacit knowledge that you learn is what college is all about. And there's very little of that in the classes. Thus auditing classes, alone, will leave you quite uneducated (in terms of a college education). It's basically the same as going to college just to take classes and nothing else.
So when I did the homework and projects, what part of the outside-of-the-classroom learning did I miss?

Quote:
Auditing a class is not free (at least at any decent college I know of).
I've never paid to audit a class.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Yes, but how hard do you really work in those classes?

I've taken a few audited courses myself. The desire to excel in those isn't there by half.

In short, that is dabbling with no consequences.
Sounds like a personal problem.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:37 AM

Quote:
So when I did the homework and projects, what part of the outside-of-the-classroom learning did I miss?
Based on your description (homework and projects), you got just the underlying foundation to support the college education. But you missed out on the college education itself. It's not too late, however. It never is, for education.
Quote:
I've never paid to audit a class.
Which school allows you to audit for free?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities