Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 06:15 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times

Advertisements

Private liberal arts colleges often massively defray their sticker price with grants and scholarships. They are able to, due to significant endowments, benefactors, and scholarship funds. At full price, four years at my alma mater would have been a little over $100,000, total. However, at the end of the day, the cost to me was not even 1/5 of that. It was cheaper than my local large state school, and definitely more in line with what I was seeking.

When you see the price tag at private colleges, don't assume that's what the average student pays to attend. Most do not.

FWIW, I did actually have one roommate who majored in art history (actually, a double major with classics). She was a brilliant individual, and is now an art conservator at a major museum and instructs at a university due to the PhD she eventually obtained. She didn't pay full price for her undergrad degree, either. She doesn't seem to be sweating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 06:23 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,867,662 times
The CHEAPEST public schools here in VT that are $20k a year. UVM is $30k versus $20k, probably because of expensive room/board (the tuition is "only" a few thousand higher per year).

http://www.collegecalc.org/lists/ver...state-tuition/
Based on that it would not be hard to end up with $80-$120k of debt , starting with nothing. I don't know if they will let you rack up that much of a student loan debt, but if you had nothing to start, how else would you attend school? unless you were also working full time...

What do you mean by a fluffy degree? Those do not sound like easy majors to me.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:41 AM

836 posts, read 1,032,560 times
Grade school teachers can move on to becoming professors where a phD is a requirement (unless they want to be an adjunct).

Who's to say grade school teacher is the last stop? Just like those w MBAs aren't automatically going to be CEOs/CFOs. They will still have to gain experience before moving up.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:49 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Average student loan dept is $30,000. Those borrowing $100,000 for undergrad are the exception rather than the norm. How many people do you know personally that have a degree in Art History. I know one, but she also inherited several million dollars from her Grandmother and didn't need to work. She does work at an Art Museum though, and has for over 25 years. The people I know at Liberal Arts colleges attend those because they got significant scholarship money and are paying little to none to attend. They, however, have fluffy majors like Math, Computer Science, Biochemistry, etc.

Federal loans are capped at about $30,000 for undergrads....
Or they have family money and just don't have to worry about the cost. Some people live to brag that their kid goes to xyz college or university.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:51 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
The CHEAPEST public schools here in VT that are $20k a year. UVM is $30k versus $20k, probably because of expensive room/board (the tuition is "only" a few thousand higher per year).

Cheapest Colleges & Universities in Vermont by In State Tuition
Based on that it would not be hard to end up with $80-$120k of debt , starting with nothing. I don't know if they will let you rack up that much of a student loan debt, but if you had nothing to start, how else would you attend school? unless you were also working full time...

Wow, 20 k for a cheaper public university. That blows my mind. In Texas you can go to UT or similar colleges for 10k.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:36 AM

48 posts, read 139,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post

Cheapest Colleges & Universities in Vermont by In State Tuition

I take it you never went to college --- try getting a degree in biochemistry or electrical engineering at a competitive university and you will know the full meaning of "fluffy degrees" like art history or psychology or primary education.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:47 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,858 times
People DO borrow 100K for low-paying majors, and teacher is one of them. The number is growing every day. In fact, it's not the teacher majors that are really stupid - it's the history and literature majors. At least teaching gets you a job, and in fact that one happens to come with a loan forgiveness plan. But I still think borrowing that much for any job other than, say, doctor or something else truly likely to pay off financially, is just plain stupid. And I can say this because I am one of the stupidest people I know - well over 100K for a literature degree. We also have to remember that even if you only borrow 50K, that can quickly balloon into 100 with interest and deferment if you don't find work. It's all just stupid, stupid, stupid.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Wow, 20 k for a cheaper public university. That blows my mind. In Texas you can go to UT or similar colleges for 10k.
State schools in our area are $20-27K (living on campus). UT Austin is $25,808 if you live on campus....$14,446 if you live at home--plus commuting costs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
People DO borrow 100K for low-paying majors, and teacher is one of them. The number is growing every day. In fact, it's not the teacher majors that are really stupid - it's the history and literature majors. At least teaching gets you a job, and in fact that one happens to come with a loan forgiveness plan. But I still think borrowing that much for any job other than, say, doctor or something else truly likely to pay off financially, is just plain stupid. And I can say this because I am one of the stupidest people I know - well over 100K for a literature degree. We also have to remember that even if you only borrow 50K, that can quickly balloon into 100 with interest and deferment if you don't find work. It's all just stupid, stupid, stupid.
In most states you need to major in History (or Social Science really) in order to teach at the middle/high school level...same thing if you want to teach English classes, you need an English major. You then either double major or minor in Secondary Education.

How many people do you know personally that borrowed that much for an undergrad degree?

Old 06-07-2014, 08:40 AM

48 posts, read 139,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
And yet so many geniuses in here will tell you that ALL private school students got grants and scholarships to cover 100% of that pricey tuition!

There are LOTS of people like you who got sold a bill of goods and were told to go ahead and sign those enormous student loans because "everybody who gets a college degree will land a cushy high-paying job".

It's the biggest fraud ever perpetuated in U.S. history.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:41 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
State schools in our area are $20-27K (living on campus). UT Austin is $25,808 if you live on campus....$14,446 if you live at home--plus commuting costs...

In most states you need to major in History (or Social Science really) in order to teach at the middle/high school level...same thing if you want to teach English classes, you need an English major. You then either double major or minor in Secondary Education.

How many people do you know personally that borrowed that much for an undergrad degree?
The point is, you can't teach with just a subject degree. You need to have an education program. Subject degree by itself is not helpful. I had one.

I know a lot of people with that amount of debt, but it is mostly from grad school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities