Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 01:44 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,482,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
There are tons of students that have no idea student loans can't be discharged and they certainly aren't told by the lenders, the financial aid office, or there counselor. And yet default rates continue to rise. Have you ever seen an entrance or exit counseling? You go online, read some questions, and click a few boxes.
Yes, I've completed them a few times. They actually do provide valuable information. A person who can't be bothered to read the information that's put right in front of his/her face when borrowing thousands of dollars is not very bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 05:16 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
Quote:
There are tons of students that have no idea student loans can't be discharged and they certainly aren't told by the lenders, the financial aid office, or there counselor. And yet default rates continue to rise. Have you ever seen an entrance or exit counseling? You go online, read some questions, and click a few boxes.
At one of my kids colleges they had a mandatory class for all students before graduation about paying back their loans. At my current students college they have an actual mandatory class in finances that included student loan repayment. People complain all the time that they didn't know something, but in truth, they just chose to sign something that they didn't read. And yes, even when I was 20, I read papers that I was signing, particularly if it had to do with money. My 21 year old son (in college) told us just a couple of weeks ago what his loan total was so far. We're not talking about hidden information here.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:54 PM

205 posts, read 245,304 times
My friend has a degree in general studies and personally, I think it is a waste. She ended up interviewing for a year and she got a receptionist job paying 12/hr, but you don't need a degree for it. You have 6 classes you take that make up a "concentration" or whatever that is, and hers were in management, marketing, and criminal justice. FWIW, if I was hiring people(and I have been in the position before), I wouldn't hire someone with that degree if I was looking for someone for the above concentrations, unless I had no applicants and I needed someone now, but that is just me.

It also depends on where you go too. Since I live in a small area, I have seen people with a BGS and BAAS(applied arts and science) get decent jobs, white collar jobs, but I don't think those jobs needed a degree. I think that they either got a job and worked their way up, or it was just used to check off a box to get the job. Personally though, I wouldn't major in it, but that's me.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:33 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anony-Momma View Post
Is this true, in your experience? Is an honors program on a big scholarship at a lesser known school comparable to Ivy League or just under Ivy League?

Honors Programs: Get an Ivy-League Education at a Public School - Smart College Visit

no no stop. stop spreading the idea that a honors program at a decently ranked college is comparable to top ranked schools. just stop. i fell for that, and i got screwed over. It's not.

whoever may read this: GO TO THE TOP SCHOOL. A "HONORS PROGRAM" IS A WASTE OF TIME.

**currently a UGA honors student who got into prestigious colleges like NYU and Vanderbilt. Fell for that line of lies. DO NOT make the same mistake***

Old 06-11-2014, 03:42 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post

You should tell the engineers I know who didn't graduate from MIT how worthless their engineering degree is.
In many ways, this is really true: it is a worthless degree. Engineering/IT jobs are easy to outsource to China/India. It extends to most majors. Unless you find something that needs to be done domestically[healthcare & trades], businesses will export your job unless you have exceptional talent[generally found in top 10 schools]. Labor costs too much in America.

Why hire one american for 100k/year, when you can hire 2 Asians for 35k/year? This is a real thing going on. No one talks about it though.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:57 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,714,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
At one of my kids colleges they had a mandatory class for all students before graduation about paying back their loans. At my current students college they have an actual mandatory class in finances that included student loan repayment. People complain all the time that they didn't know something, but in truth, they just chose to sign something that they didn't read. And yes, even when I was 20, I read papers that I was signing, particularly if it had to do with money. My 21 year old son (in college) told us just a couple of weeks ago what his loan total was so far. We're not talking about hidden information here.

I am sure some colleges offer that type of class but most don't. A lot of people aren't saying they didn't know anything but simply cannot find work, or a job that will cover their payment. However lenders do hide information, just look at how they hid the interest rates from service members.

By the whole signed something they didn't read argument why don't you apply that to all loans? It seems unfair people can sign up for a credit card which I'm sure most don't read the terms, and rack up $50-100k in random crap(or even tuition) and still have consumer protections.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
I am sure some colleges offer that type of class but most don't. A lot of people aren't saying they didn't know anything but simply cannot find work, or a job that will cover their payment. However lenders do hide information, just look at how they hid the interest rates from service members.

By the whole signed something they didn't read argument why don't you apply that to all loans? It seems unfair people can sign up for a credit card which I'm sure most don't read the terms, and rack up $50-100k in random crap(or even tuition) and still have consumer protections.
Credit Cards applications do spell out that they are governed by fair credit laws. Anyone who reads those would know this.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:22 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,171,296 times
I feel like General Studies is pretty much the same as any other liberal arts degree. And from there you can turn that into a big career or not. Stem aren't the only paths to prosperity. I also feel like General Studies is just checking a box to say, yea, I've got a Bachelor's degree, now you've no reason to deny me advancement.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:28 AM

205 posts, read 245,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I feel like General Studies is pretty much the same as any other liberal arts degree. And from there you can turn that into a big career or not. Stem aren't the only paths to prosperity. I also feel like General Studies is just checking a box to say, yea, I've got a Bachelor's degree, now you've no reason to deny me advancement.
I have to disagree. I don't think it is the same as any other liberal arts degree. I would hire someone with a degree in X subject before I would hire someone with a general studies degree. And I have before too.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:58 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,781,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
I have to disagree. I don't think it is the same as any other liberal arts degree. I would hire someone with a degree in X subject before I would hire someone with a general studies degree. And I have before too.
So you look at a person's education, while completely ignoring their work experience and other credentials?

Most hiring managers focus on work experience first and foremost, then the ability to train/adapt (which a degree can signify) secondly. I felt pretty confident earning my Liberal Arts degree in general studies because I already had 8 years of professional work experience behind me. My main goal of earning a bachelor's degree was so that I could go to graduate school. Also my program wasn't even open to traditional students. You had to be a non-traditional student, who earned your HS diploma more than 6 years ago.

If I were fresh out of high school, then no, I would not have taken the route that I did. But that wasn't the case for me. And I've been hired by 3 employers since I've earned my degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities