Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2014, 07:02 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times

Advertisements

I didn't know that Psychology and Sociology degrees are "Fluff", good thing I got mine in Criminal Justice huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 07:12 AM

584 posts, read 1,137,127 times
Is this true, in your experience? Is an honors program on a big scholarship at a lesser known school comparable to Ivy League or just under Ivy League?

Honors Programs: Get an Ivy-League Education at a Public School - Smart College Visit

Old 06-08-2014, 07:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
The point is, you can't teach with just a subject degree. You need to have an education program. Subject degree by itself is not helpful. I had one.

I know a lot of people with that amount of debt, but it is mostly from grad school.
Which is why I said that along with their major they get a second major or minor in education. I don't know of any state that you just major in "secondary education" and can teach. To be highly qualified you need to have a degree in your subject area for secondary education. Elementary education is a major in itself however. Keep reading....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
what do you think isn't a fluffy major?
Sarcasm is lost on the internet ....

Old 06-08-2014, 08:08 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,958,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I am fully aware that a lot of students go to college for a piece of paper with no intention of getting an education and that is how these students actually live. It's just sad.
What is it sad that people go to college for the piece of paper? Trying to have better career opportunities and making more money is sad?

Old 06-08-2014, 09:31 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,482,537 times
Quote:
I'm not suggesting that they do. In fact, I've suggested many times that the vast majority of students don't get a college education. They just attend classes and do coursework.

The biggest problem with all these newer colleges is that they don't focus on higher education. As a result, they result in degreeholders without a college education.

The skillset of learning and demonstrating what is learned is used in a wide variety of careers beyond academia.

As you imply, it is extremely sad that students are too busy with work to get the most benefit out of college. That shouldn't even be an option.

It helps to familiarize yourself with college.
Your idea of how an undergraduate program should operate is also in contrast to how many 50-100+ year old colleges operate.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:36 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,351,599 times
Quote:
I'm not suggesting that they do. In fact, I've suggested many times that the vast majority of students don't get a college education. They just attend classes and do coursework.

The biggest problem with all these newer colleges is that they don't focus on higher education. As a result, they result in degreeholders without a college education.

The skillset of learning and demonstrating what is learned is used in a wide variety of careers beyond academia.

As you imply, it is extremely sad that students are too busy with work to get the most benefit out of college. That shouldn't even be an option.

It helps to familiarize yourself with college.
You just love to imply that the manner in which MOST colleges operate, and the type of education most of us receive, is not a college education.

That tells me a lot about your personality.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:39 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,482,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Star View Post
Oh my goodness. Several threads you don't agree with in the same month? What is the world coming to? Obviously, this naysayer needs to be banned immediately.

But, yeah. You're general studies education is useful because it lead to more education. Now I'm convinced. I think I'm going to go get a general studies PhD so that I can work in a general lab and solve general problems. Maybe one day, my work will lead to a Nobel prize in generality.
You do know that many PhD programs don't require a specific undergraduate degree, right? They often only require a handful of prerequisite courses that can be included in a general studies degree plan. You also don't need a specific degree to get into law school or medical school. Law schools don't even have course prerequisites. By the way, some schools do offer an interdisciplinary studies or similar option at the graduate level.
http://www.bgsu.edu/graduate/interdi...y-studies.html
http://www.gse.upenn.edu/aphd/ishd/phd
http://www.marquette.edu/grad/programs_interdis.shtml

Those are just a few of what I found.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:03 PM

53 posts, read 69,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antsy994 View Post
You nailed it on the head --- take a kid fresh out of high school in 2003 and tell him to invest 100,000 in Google stock instead of going to college and see how much he has in the bank today in 2014 --- versus a useless 4-yr. degree that will take him 25+ years to pay off.
No sane person will give a kid out of high school a 100k to invest. It is no different than opening a savings account for a child. Who is giving free money? High school graduates bound for college are given a 100k as student loans not capital. I will take a leap and say the average successful person has a BA and that is why money is available as scholarships and grants.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:30 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,714,200 times
Tuition prices would change drastically if consumer protections were restored to student loans.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:38 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,714,200 times
What is sad is how students want to attend these universities with 20k students and never get any special attention.....especially for gen ed classes!

Also what is sad is how most young gullable students are told there art history major will land them a job. Or how taking out a student loan has no consequences because they will have a degree and it will open doors. Or how they don't tell any student that taking out a loan they can't get rid of their debt....ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities