Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 02:19 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,077,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's great opportunity for research and academic progress in all areas of study. Even what people consider useless like sociology and psychology... we're seeing an increased demand in academia. More college students are dropping out of college after achieving their bachelors and never finishing. It's created a gap in these areas of study.
A bachelor's degree is often a terminal degree: people simply don't want to study more.
It used to be that you could count on getting a PhD to teach, but universities have fewer and fewer tenured positions, so that career choice is often not lucrative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 02:30 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,166,055 times
Quote:
Nonsense. Everything isn't about the labor marketplace.
With the exception of the very few who take college courses for personal enrichment, it is indeed all about the labor marketplace.

Quote:
Especially when it comes to higher education. For every kind of degree, there is opportunity in the academic field.
There is no point in earning a degree in underwater basket weaving if all you can do with it is become a professor of underwater basket weaving.

In other words, self-perpetuation in the realm of academia is worthless.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:52 AM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryIsMine1 View Post
The following and common excuse I hear as to why people get useless degrees:

1.) I like studying "X". (X = Useless major)

No one cares what you "like". Unless you are independently wealthy, your goal is to get a job that pays well after college. You better study something that gives you an actual skill set so you can earn a decent living to support the lifestyle that you want.

2.) I'm smart enough to study "Y", I was just too lazy. (Y = Useful major such as engineering, accounting, etc.)

Sure you are... This is a very common excuse as no one like to admit to being too stupid to pass the required math, science, and engineering classes to get an useful degree.

What is useless is this post.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:46 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,395,110 times
The educational system doesn't do a great job of preparing students for the real world. I definitely think following one's interests is a good thing, but practicality has to be taken into account as well. It's about finding the bridge.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:03 AM

3 posts, read 3,962 times
I am getting a Bachelor's in General Studies because nothing interested me at the time at my university. I will graduate May 2015, and have pinpointed my interests. I will then get a Master's in Human Resource, and eventually get a PhD in Human Resource. I know; my projected end date is April 2022. I just cannot imagine 2022. However, I am very happy I was not forced to specialize my bachelor's degree, because it is just a start. With a General Studies degree I have any job open to me, as long as I get the experience.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:15 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,969 times
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a General Studies degree. I graduated 20 years ago with a double major, in economics and English. Neither of them really had that tough of requirements, as far as required classes. I may not have the designation of "General Studies" but honestly, it's pretty much what I got. I had classes in math, both physical and biological science, and ethnic studies, in additional to my classes in econ and English. I know that I only needed 4 specific econ classes, plus 4 additional econ classes of my choice, to complete the major's requirement. I would have only had to take one per semester, if I had decided on it as a major right away.

But, I think "General Studies" as a label doesn't sound quite as marketable as a more specific major, to an employer. To me, it just sounds like an extension of high school, like you couldn't make up your mind about what you wanted to do.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:18 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Choosing to study something in which you have an interest isn't an excuse, it's a reason.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:09 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,077,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post

There is no point in earning a degree in underwater basket weaving if all you can do with it is become a professor of underwater basket weaving.

In other words, self-perpetuation in the realm of academia is worthless.
Some people do want to become a professor of underwater basket weaving BUT the labor market of being a college professor has suffered as universities try to make teaching as cheap as possible.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:21 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,771,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
The educational system doesn't do a great job of preparing students for the real world. I definitely think following one's interests is a good thing, but practicality has to be taken into account as well. It's about finding the bridge.
That's because it is not at all the educational system's job to prepare students for the real world. That is the workplace's job. The problem here is that the American workplace has abandoned the concept of on-the-job training and the entry level job. It used to be the expectation that you came into a new industry with no marketable skills for that industry, only the potential to develop those skills.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:56 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,166,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Some people do want to become a professor of underwater basket weaving BUT the labor market of being a college professor has suffered as universities try to make teaching as cheap as possible.
Those people need to choose a field that serves a purpose other than self-perpetuation. More importantly, universities should stop offering these pointless programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities