Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:35 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times

Advertisements

Have you looked at your old college transcripts recently? I did not too long ago since they were required for a government job I applied for (and was just called back to schedule an interview).

The first 2 years were great (As and Bs), then I got into my heavy upper level accounting courses and they started turning into Cs and a couple of Ds. There were also a few Ws.

It made me depressed. Oh well, at least I have a decent career and don't have to go through college again.

BTW, for those of you still in college, let me let you in on a little secret.... GPA doesn't matter after your first professional job. Nobody cares. Just make sure that you graduate. For the government job I'm interviewing for, it's just a check the box thing. In the grown up world, experience is what counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 06:02 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Have you looked at your old college transcripts recently? I did not too long ago since they were required for a government job I applied for (and was just called back to schedule an interview).

The first 2 years were great (As and Bs), then I got into my heavy upper level accounting courses and they started turning into Cs and a couple of Ds. There were also a few Ws.

It made me depressed. Oh well, at least I have a decent career and don't have to go through college again.

BTW, for those of you still in college, let me let you in on a little secret.... GPA doesn't matter after your first professional job. Nobody cares. Just make sure that you graduate. For the government job I'm interviewing for, it's just a check the box thing. In the grown up world, experience is what counts.
GPA counts in many careers, especially the first job. Just because it didn't count in your field means it doesn't count in your field. Also, many grad schools have a GPA threshold, so if you are thinking of going back to college for a masters or doctorate, a low GPA could hold you back.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:47 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,011 times
I looked at them earlier this year when applying to grad school. I did pretty well, but am disappointed in a few B's that I know could have been A's if I hadn't been a little burned out on school and convinced I hated accounting. Since graduating, I've always worked in various accounting jobs and now, thirteen years later, I found a job I like and discovered I don't hate accounting after all. So, now I'm working on my Masters. I think the time off and the experience I've gained have been a good thing, and I'm glad I didn't go to grad school years ago.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:08 AM

27 posts, read 111,185 times
It's true. No one has ever cared about my GPA other than when I've applied to grad schools.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:00 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:

Yep. I'd been out 15 years when I had to produce my transcript for a government job. I graduated with honors, so I've never sweated how my grades looked. For various jobs, both my academic background and my professional background mattered. My exact GPA never mattered, but a proven track record of diligence and pride in my work, both in school and in jobs, certainly has.

And, obviously, my GPA mattered for grad school.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:50 AM

45,427 posts, read 60,623,477 times
It will depend. The manufacturer I worked for didn't want them until I was being considered for management. The Navy did. The school system did. The Department of Natural Resources would have had I been offered the job I interviewed for a couple years ago. At age 60. Having graduated from college in 1977.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
The federal government wanted my HIGH SCHOOL transcripts when I was 37.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
No one has ever cared about my grades, either, but I do know a few people whose starting salary was higher due to a high GPA. It just depends on the employer.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:56 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,402,986 times
I've been out of undergrad for a little over a decade and I recently had to look at my undergraduate transcripts because I'm toying with the idea of getting another degree. I'm definitely not the same person now that I was back in undergrad- those transcripts are embarrassing. I was in the top 5% of my class in law school and scored in the 99th percentile on the GMAT, but I cringe when I think of an admissions officer looking at that undergrad transcript.

I recently started making >$200k and have experienced years of relative career success (over $150k for the past 4 years or so), but my lazy/crappy performance in undergrad still follows me. It also made it more difficult getting into a decent law school- I had to go to a mediocre law school and crush the curve in order to transfer up to a top 25 school. The way I see it, there were probably a total of about 20 hours per semester during undergrad that if I had studied instead of whatever else I did (drank, putzed around, etc), I would have had a much easier decade. Luckily I grew up since then and can perform at a high level to compensate for my lazy past, but what I wouldn't give to go back in time and shake some sense into my undergrad self.

For the record, a "B" average is not good enough if you want to be successful in the future. Sure, you can still be successful if you screw around in college, but man, it is so much harder.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:03 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Quote:

I had to provide official transcripts after being chosen as the final candidate to confirm I had the required degree for the job.

I still have my college and grad school gpa on my resume... although since I have been in the same job for 5 years now it's only gotten minor revisions... I would probably move the education section to the end now that I have several "real" jobs to put up front.

I never look at transcripts or care about gpa when doing hiring. We allow applicants to put unofficial transcripts as optional documents. Most end up attaching them. The only time I look at them is if something is iffy in the rest of the app. Ie: they can't write worth crap & are applying to a job where writing skill is an integral component of the job like grant writer. It's not that I care that much, but it makes me wonder what college awarded them a degree & I look to see if the grades match the low competency of the app out of curiosity. One time I saw several VERY badly worded cover letters in the same group of apps and they all came from the same college. Let's just say there is a certain branch university in the midwest that I have a low opinion of as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities