Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 12:19 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
We have an account from the OP only. I would not jump to any conclusions at this point, except to encourage the OP to act like an adult and address the specific concerns with his/her educators. There are mechanisms to address these issues and the OP has said he/she has zero desire to address them like an adult. That is the real problem here.
Well, there are all these Californian students that skip classes to go protest with their .... TEACHERS.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:42 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,709,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I also find it hard to believe that he was "required" for a class assignment to include a couple of sentences bashing Trump in an essay. Unless he was at a flaming liberal school like Oberlin, professors don't dictate what opinions must go into an assignment. .
Actually I do believe him, and yes, professors do dictate that you share their political opinions, or they can and will fail you out of their courses. Many professors at colleges these days are doing nothing but pushing their political beliefs on their students.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Yeah, ok.

You really think a kid has the cajones to stand up to a professor/teacher? Few and far between...because they know the game. Instant bad grade.
True.

I took some education courses at a state university not too long ago, and was shocked to find out a lot of my grade was based on online discussions with other class members, that often veered into political territory.

The professor can simply fail someone out of the course. The student has little or no leverage at all.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Exposure to other views is important and should be part of college. However shaming or bashing should not be permitted.
I witnessed a young college student in one of my classes being shamed and yelled at by his professor, because he stated that he was pro-capital punishment. This was a political science discussion course and the professor was trying to find out what our viewpoints were. He bashed this person over and over again, calling him "stupid", a moron and every other name you can think of, because the student simply said he believed in capital punishment. Also, this was a very conservative college campus, and the professor was one of the few "liberal" ones there. So it just goes to show that even if a student does research and chooses a college that aligns with his political views, it doesn't make him immune to being shamed, ridiculed or receiving a failing grade based on his views.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
We have an account from the OP only. I would not jump to any conclusions at this point, except to encourage the OP to act like an adult and address the specific concerns with his/her educators. There are mechanisms to address these issues and the OP has said he/she has zero desire to address them like an adult. That is the real problem here.
I was taking online classes with Penn State until December.

One of my teachers made a comment on my paper about my essay regarding NAFTA. She was assuming I am a Hillary supporter. She was talking nasty about Trump while being convinced that I agree even though my essay was kept neutral. I don't think that was very appropriate. And I don't think that teachers should force their opinion on students.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:07 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I witnessed a young college student in one of my classes being shamed and yelled at by his professor, because he stated that he was pro-capital punishment. This was a political science discussion course and the professor was trying to find out what our viewpoints were. He bashed this person over and over again, calling him "stupid", a moron and every other name you can think of, because the student simply said he believed in capital punishment. Also, this was a very conservative college campus, and the professor was one of the few "liberal" ones there. So it just goes to show that even if a student does research and chooses a college that aligns with his political views, it doesn't make him immune to being shamed, ridiculed or receiving a failing grade based on his views.
I was in a political discussion/debate class in college, when we were given an in-class exercise of dividing into teams to discuss capital punishment, pro and con. No one chose the "con" argument at all, so I volunteered for that (a "team" of one). The only people who batted an eye were the students on the "con" side; certainly not the professor, because the assignment was to demonstrate your analysis and arguments to support whichever side of the topic you were on. None of us had any idea what the professor's personal values were with regard to the topic; his personal views weren't relevant.

What college were you in at the time, tassity?

Old 02-23-2017, 03:35 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,946 times
Quote:
Actually I do believe him, and yes, professors do dictate that you share their political opinions, or they can and will fail you out of their courses. Many professors at colleges these days are doing nothing but pushing their political beliefs on their students.
Quote:
The professor can simply fail someone out of the course. The student has little or no leverage at all.
In response to professors failing students because they don't agree with your opinion, they can't do that. At the beginning of the course you get a syllabus, I haven't attended or taught at a university where that syllabus doesn't include a clear explanation of the course work, the objectives and learning out comes and an explanation of the grading policies.

If you truly think you're professor failed you because he didn't like your view point, you can file an appeal or contest the grade. I can't imagine a student who feels they got a low grade for this reason not contesting the grade if this truly happened.

Quote:
Did anyone report it? Because like I said above, if that actually happened and a professor yelled at and belittled a student for ANY reason, the incident should be reported. There are systems in place to handle these situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I was taking online classes with Penn State until December.

One of my teachers made a comment on my paper about my essay regarding NAFTA. She was assuming I am a Hillary supporter. She was talking nasty about Trump while being convinced that I agree even though my essay was kept neutral. I don't think that was very appropriate. And I don't think that teachers should force their opinion on students.
Again, you could of done something about this, I certainly would of if I felt it affected my grade or crossed a line and was inappropriate.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post

Again, you could of done something about this, I certainly would of if I felt it affected my grade or crossed a line and was inappropriate.
Okay, so she makes a remark about how horrible Trump is and I report her and then what? She might get a little speech by her supervisor - if this is not a liberal either - and then what?

She finds a reason to give me a bad grade in the next assignment. No thanks. Not worth it. I don't want to have my GPA drop because of a stupid remark she made.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:49 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times
Quote:
If true, this was almost assuredly a violation of the ethics code. Administrators will almost always take the student side in this.

There are few things that will get a professor fired, but public shaming or other forms of public disrespect to students most DEFINITELY will. I've seen it happen, and actually been on the side of non-renewal in committee reviews of this kind of thing. Tenure will not protect them because tenure does not protect against code of conduct violations. Tenure simply assures that a committee like the one I was on verifies the veracity of the claim.

Was this a professor, an adjunct or a grad student? In my experience the people more likely to do this kind of thing are the ones without tenure or experience.

Last edited by redguard57; 02-23-2017 at 06:34 PM..

Old 02-24-2017, 06:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
What exactly is, "special privileges for gay people or trans people, minorities etc."??
Laws providing special protection in employment, special consideration for college admission, special guarantee of service, guaranteed rights to marry where, when and by whom they want, protection against anyone making them feel bad. . .

Last edited by Coldjensens; 02-24-2017 at 06:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities