Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 06:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Students at reputable institutions of higher learning are rarely, if ever, singled out or ridiculed by educators for their religious or political beliefs. In my experience, and from conversations with friends who have attended other institutions, professors expected their students to be capable and respectful thinkers, listeners, and speakers. They did not expect students to espouse homogeneous viewpoints on issues both political and non-political, and they most certainly did not expect students to have the same approach to problems. Part of the excitement of an academic atmosphere is interacting with bright young minds who are brave and innovative enough to challenge the paradigm. They are the ones who will come up with novel ideas and solutions.

I would say that professors at reputable institutions, even ones more traditionally aligned with "liberal" atmospheres, are more often left speechless because of a student's lack of opinion or lack of introspection. The ability to think, defend, and disagree politely? That's expected and rarely leaves anyone speechless.

If one finds his or her professors frequently speechless because of differences in opinion (that are well-thought-out and well-articulated), then it might be time to consider attending a more rigorous institution.

In what context was your daughter "singled-out" or "ridiculed"? In what context did she express her "Christian viewpoints"? It's impossible for us to sympathize since we don't have all the facts, but I do hope it wasn't blatant religious intolerance. And if it was, I hope she brought the matter to the administration's attention.
Your ideal is what it is supposed to be that is correct, but it is not reality. The two often get confused.

She did nto "offer" her Christian viewpoints, she was asked to give the class the "Christian viewpoint" on topics being discussed in class. I do not know the specifics, if I ever knew them I have forgotten. It was a couple of humorous episodes not something I am going to memorize the details and retain for years. She might remember since it was significant enough for her to tell me about it, but maybe not. She told me sabot a lot of thing that happened especially things that were funny. In the past five years, four of my five kids were in college, all of them told me amusing stories about their professors while I remember the events, sorry, I am not going to be able to recall every detail for you, what words were said, etc. Not sure why you are getting so defensive about this unless you are a college professor who stereotypes your Christian students. What I do recall is they were social issues being discussed. Not sure what the calss was or whay they were discussing those particular issues. The professor and most of the students were simply agreeing on the far left viewpoint, so the professor called on her thinking they woudl get an opposite viewpoint that they could then tear apart for further "discussion" That is what they do.

What left them speechless were her often very liberal responses. Because they were aware she was Christian, they expected her to have all the beliefs they attributed to their stereotype of Christians. It appears you have trouble following what I wrote. Try reading it again.

When she expressed opposing viewpoints and they tried ripping her viewpoints apart, she was able to hold her own. Trust me, that never left them speechless. They had plenty to say, but she never expresses a viewpoint unless she is has through it through completely and is completely prepared to back it up with reasoning.

Although they enjoyed picking on her and trying to rip her viewpoint up for spirited classroom discussion, they did not hold it against her. She got all As and even good reference letters even from the professors who liked to use her as a target.

And Yes, it was a major university. Actually a branch of one of the leading research universities in the US and recognized in many fields for exemplary education on its own.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 02-24-2017 at 06:30 AM..

Old 02-24-2017, 06:51 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The OP is not a K-12 public school student, but rather a young adult who has chosen a private college that is more socially liberal in character than he is comfortable with. He obviously has every right to attend or not attend. College is not compulsory, nor is it necessary that he enroll or remain enrolled at a school that is not a good fit for him.

To the OP, it is interesting that you appear to be of the opinion that parents of young adults in college ought to have a say in how private liberal arts colleges are run and what the overall political atmosphere at a given school is.

If you are not happy with the political climate at your school, and you feel it is negatively impacting your learning experience, transfer to a school that better suits your preferences. You are, after all, an adult. What does parental opinion of how colleges are run have to do with anything?
I agree that another college might be a better fit. There is value, of course, in being exposed to other points of view, but even a left leaning conservative like me could not tolerate being someplace like Berkley, for example.

OP should keep his eye on the objective, and ask if this school is best to meet his goals, or not. It is healthy to have our preconceived notions poked at, as long as he isn't overwhelmed with negativity.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:55 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,765,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Laws providing special protection in employment, special consideration for college admission, special guarantee of service, guaranteed rights to marry where, when and by whom they want, protection against anyone making them feel bad. . .
Last time I checked, those laws were enacted to ensure equal rights and protections. Nothing "special" about equality.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:24 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Laws providing special protection in employment, special consideration for college admission, special guarantee of service, guaranteed rights to marry where, when and by whom they want, protection against anyone making them feel bad. . .
Right. So laws against lynching and anti-discrimination laws mean Blacks are "privileged"? Laws against sexual harassment in the workplace, or creating a "hostile environment" against any particular demographic type means women and others are "privileged"? We're privileged by no longer being subject to physical assaults by bosses? (Unless we work for The Groper In Chief) Do you have any idea how nonsensical (and outrageous) that sounds? Gays are (finally) granted the right to marry whom they want, like the rest of the population, so that means they're "privileged"? Because they finally achieved parity?

Old 02-24-2017, 09:48 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
I call BS. Feminism means the superiority of women over men. That was Clinto saying she wanted men to be 1/10 of the human race and people my age saying that straight white males are the scum of the earth.

It seems to me that you have a warped, overly politicized perspective that may benefit from studying abroad rather than in the States.

I'd try for New Zealand.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:53 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,359 times
Quote:
I do not know the specifics, if I ever knew them I have forgotten. What I do recall is they were social issues being discussed.
Just like the OP, you weave a narrative of oppression with vague memories of events and forgotten details. The story is always a progressive faculty out to victimize the student with a minority viewpoint. It certainly makes for a nice tale - so noble, so brave to fight against the liberal juggernaut, David and Goliath. Thoughtful individuals, however, consider context, details, and facts before making a judgment about an accusation this broad. It may very well be that she was treated unfairly, I don't know. But without the facts and the details, it is difficult for us to sympathize. As I said before, I hope it was not blatant religious intolerance in her case.

Quote:
Not sure why you are getting so defensive about this unless you are a college professor who stereotypes your Christian students.
Making unfounded assumptions is unbecoming.

Quote:
The professor and most of the students were simply agreeing on the far left viewpoint, so the professor called on her thinking they woudl get an opposite viewpoint that they could then tear apart for further "discussion" That is what they do.
Again, for someone who gets his information from hearsay and who doesn't even remember the details of these accounts, you are certainly very adept at making pointed and broad accusations like "that is what they do". It fits the narrative you are trying to weave though.

Quote:
What left them speechless were her often very liberal responses. Because they were aware she was Christian, they expected her to have all the beliefs they attributed to their stereotype of Christians. It appears you have trouble following what I wrote. Try reading it again.
Your original comment was worded ambiguously. What left them speechless? Her liberal views? Her opinion that some views were impractical? Her ability to defend her position? Asking me to read your original post again does not resolve the ambiguity in your writing. Your clarification here does make your point more precise, so thank you. Do refrain from blaming others for not being telepathic. We will not dwell on this point any longer.

Quote:
When she expressed opposing viewpoints and they tried ripping her viewpoints apart, she was able to hold her own. Trust me, that never left them speechless. They had plenty to say, but she never expresses a viewpoint unless she is has through it through completely and is completely prepared to back it up with reasoning.
I'm sure they weren't speechless.

Quote:
Although they enjoyed picking on her and trying to rip her viewpoint up for spirited classroom discussion, they did not hold it against her. She got all As and even good reference letters even from the professors who liked to use her as a target.
And there we have it. I would encourage the OP to pay attention to this last bit. Despite all the histrionics about oppressive regimes that some paint universities to be, students with different viewpoints do get excellent grades and even good references from their professors. If you truly feel you have been treated unfairly, please be an adult and address your specific concerns with your educator. All the best to you.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:58 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I witnessed a young college student in one of my classes being shamed and yelled at by his professor, because he stated that he was pro-capital punishment. This was a political science discussion course and the professor was trying to find out what our viewpoints were. He bashed this person over and over again, calling him "stupid", a moron and every other name you can think of, because the student simply said he believed in capital punishment. Also, this was a very conservative college campus, and the professor was one of the few "liberal" ones there. So it just goes to show that even if a student does research and chooses a college that aligns with his political views, it doesn't make him immune to being shamed, ridiculed or receiving a failing grade based on his views.
The more important question for me is, what did YOU do when you witnessed this abuse?

Old 02-24-2017, 03:08 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Your ideal is what it is supposed to be that is correct, but it is not reality. The two often get confused.

She did nto "offer" her Christian viewpoints, she was asked to give the class the "Christian viewpoint" on topics being discussed in class. I do not know the specifics, if I ever knew them I have forgotten. It was a couple of humorous episodes not something I am going to memorize the details and retain for years. She might remember since it was significant enough for her to tell me about it, but maybe not. She told me sabot a lot of thing that happened especially things that were funny. In the past five years, four of my five kids were in college, all of them told me amusing stories about their professors while I remember the events, sorry, I am not going to be able to recall every detail for you, what words were said, etc. Not sure why you are getting so defensive about this unless you are a college professor who stereotypes your Christian students. What I do recall is they were social issues being discussed. Not sure what the calss was or whay they were discussing those particular issues. The professor and most of the students were simply agreeing on the far left viewpoint, so the professor called on her thinking they woudl get an opposite viewpoint that they could then tear apart for further "discussion" That is what they do.

And Yes, it was a major university. Actually a branch of one of the leading research universities in the US and recognized in many fields for exemplary education on its own.
How on earth did the professor a) know she was Christian and b) know how that impacted her beliefs?

It sounds like she interjected herself into discussion and held her own, and good for her! I'm not sure how that is translated into being targeted or being ripped apart. When I spoke up in class, my professors ripped apart my viewpoints, too, in order to make me defend myself with facts even when I guessed that they personally agreed with me. That's what professors are SUPPOSED to do.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:22 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
I doubt you support equality, because then you'd now that all that basic feminism entails is a demand for equality for women.

I'm trying to be gentle, because, yes, I'm a liberal. But it does happen to be true that most Trump supporters really have no facts. That's exactly why even Kellyanne Conway made up the term "alternative facts." Because she knew that there was no true evidence. Many of Trump's ideas do in fact go against tradition, and even against basic American values.

However, I have never heard of a class required to go to a rally, so that sounds suspicious to me. It could be good writing practice to write something that's contrary to your opinion, but on the other hand, you could have spoken up and asked if you would have the option of writing on the other side of the argument.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Actually I do believe him, and yes, professors do dictate that you share their political opinions, or they can and will fail you out of their courses. Many professors at colleges these days are doing nothing but pushing their political beliefs on their students.
This is utter and complete crap. Teachers keep their tenure based on student surveys and enrollment numbers. The notion that professors are failing out kids for their differing point of view is laughable to anyone who actually knows anything about what being a college prof actually means.

A handful of kids who whine about failing classes does not equal evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities