Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 01:50 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree with you. There needs to be an "anti-Education" sub forum on City Data.

Career success has nothing to do with education, interpersonal skills, friendships, character, or compassion.

The student debt crises is mainly concentrated on in low end, for profit, "career schools". They should NOT be eligible for federal financial aid.

"Career Schools" are the problem, not the solution.
The debt is also concentrated among people who have gone to graduate school, and they usually make more money anyway. A lot more people are choosing to go to graduate school now that it's easier with online programs, so that's helping to drive up student loan debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 04:42 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
Those wanting to go to college can always live at home. Earn an associate's degree at a junior college and then earn a bachelor's degree at their local state college.

It's a joke to be taking on major debt because of choices to enroll in out of state schools with dorm and/or apartment living.

Additionally students living at home can work part time if necessary. This would also allow them to work locally in their field of study and possibly gain full employment after graduation.
What about people living in rural areas far from any sort of junior college or university? Some people have no choice but to live away from home thus they need student loans. Sometimes going out of state is necessary if the colleges in their state don't have the degree they're looking for. Most sane people don't take out loans if they don't need to.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:59 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
What about people living in rural areas far from any sort of junior college or university? Some people have no choice but to live away from home thus they need student loans. Sometimes going out of state is necessary if the colleges in their state don't have the degree they're looking for. Most sane people don't take out loans if they don't need to.
Take a job and work for your living costs? Like everyone else in the world

Being a college student doesn't mean you can live on loans with no effort to minimize it

And the excuse that they can't work and be a full time student isn't a real excuse. If they worked full time and studied part time and took 6 years instead of 4, it is still worth the 2 additional years. How many years would the 4 year grad spend paying off the loans? Likely more than the 2 years.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:51 AM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

Being a college student doesn't mean you can live on loans with no effort to minimize it

And the excuse that they can't work and be a full time student isn't a real excuse. If they worked full time and studied part time and took 6 years instead of 4, it is still worth the 2 additional years. How many years would the 4 year grad spend paying off the loans? Likely more than the 2 years.
I'm not sure it's a trend but I like what my daughter in law and prospective son in law did and it seems to be a growing phenomenon both finished their BS degrees in 3 years.

I see your point but among the many facing longer educational paths those two "extra" years can be phenomenally expensive.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:44 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

Yeah no, I would not recommend adding 2 more years. Either you finish early, 3 to 3.5 years, or you plan ahead and work summers as soon as you can. This builds strong work and savings habits, and reduces debt accumulation habits.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:56 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
No one is getting a blank check. And no that's not why college is so expensive. Makes a nice meme but no correct.
Of course, it is just a huge coincidence that college cost increases has outpaced about everything else it can compare to.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
Those wanting to go to college can always live at home. Earn an associate's degree at a junior college and then earn a bachelor's degree at their local state college.

It's a joke to be taking on major debt because of choices to enroll in out of state schools with dorm and/or apartment living.

Additionally students living at home can work part time if necessary. This would also allow them to work locally in their field of study and possibly gain full employment after graduation.
You can do that as a residential student, as well. I worked part-time as an undergraduate, and I didn't live at home. Additionally, I worked as an RA, and received room and board as part of my compensation package for that. I also did internship practicum as part of my course of study, both for undergrad and graduate school, which gave me practical experience in the field. All of these things can be accomplished whether one lives on campus or at home.

I also received scholarships and grants that covered about 75% of my undergraduate tuition, so loans comprised a minimal portion of my total cost. For graduate school, I was 80% grant-funded.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
You can go to a cheap state school and get a degree for 1/5th what the elite schools pay, and get the same jobs

Nobody wants to do that because then they can't graduate and impress their friends with their UCLA degree
You may.

Or you may get different jobs, based on name recognition of prestigious or specialized programs and perception of better training, due to connections made through alumni networks and internship opportunities, and due to internship placements received via school connections.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:23 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
The problem is government involvement. These colleges charge what they do because they assume zero risk. This is in addition to the fact that people make poor financial decisions all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus;
Of course, it is just a huge coincidence that college cost increases has outpaced about everything else it can compare to.
IDK about all colleges, but state universities have been forced to raise tuition to very high levels by state legislatures, that eliminated most support for higher ed. This began in the 80's in Washington State, and at the end of the 70's in California, when CA's taxpayer-revolt initiative, Proposition 13, was passed, which related to how property taxation was handled. The state gov't had to slash costs overnight, and support for the state higher ed system was one of the first things to go. And the cutbacks in allocations to the universities kept coming.

So it's actually about state government DIS-involvement; the abandonment of higher ed by some state legislatures.

I don't know why state governments, in the absence of a monumental tax policy change like CA had, would gradually undermine their state universities by cutting their budgets time and time again. Have state economies been declining decade after decade, since the 80's? And if so, why?

This doesn't address sharply rising costs at private colleges, which presumably have pretty solid endowments. This has been discussed here before, and some point out, that universities have added to the administrative hierarchy over the years, adding deans, raising the pay of university Presidents to cushy levels, and so on. There's some truth to that.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:27 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
You can go to a cheap state school and get a degree for 1/5th what the elite schools pay, and get the same jobs

Nobody wants to do that because then they can't graduate and impress their friends with their UCLA degree
The problem is, that in some states, the "cheap state schools" are no longer cheap. They're no longer subsidized by their state budget, hardly at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities