Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2018, 02:23 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COJeff View Post
Your post makes no sense. Nobody inherits graduating in debt. Taking on debt is a choice.
I don't know if you're just being obtuse or not, but I made it as clear as I can. I never said they inherited debt, they inherited a system that requires accruing large amounts of debt in order to obtain a degree which is necessary to succeed for most in said economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 03:24 PM

949 posts, read 572,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What ocnjgirl said plus:

If your program advises you NOT to work, you probably shouldn't work. DD said the students who did work had a harder time. Bosses tend not to be real flexible when you say "I have a final, paper/project due, and can't work as much this week".

What makes you think a student in a professional graduate program doesn't understand hard work and its value? Not to mention, the clinicals my daughter did were at numerous different "business models", e.g. a non-profit hospital, a for profit PT business, etc. "The real world" is one's world.
Business wont expose low level staff to anything complicated. They do the basic stuff that greases the wheels. School is not hard work or real work. The skills required to do real work become very apparent when you get into the trenches and see the real moving parts of an operation.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:29 PM

172 posts, read 107,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't know if you're just being obtuse or not, but I made it as clear as I can. I never said they inherited debt, they inherited a system that requires accruing large amounts of debt in order to obtain a degree which is necessary to succeed for most in said economy.
I think the problem is you think a person needs a college degree to succeed in the economy. The fact is most jobs (emphasis on jobs) don't even need a college education to do.

Unless a person is majoring in eningeering, business, or medical that requires a form of professional registration and licence a person is wasting their time and money in getting a college degree.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:51 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Business wont expose low level staff to anything complicated. They do the basic stuff that greases the wheels. School is not hard work or real work. The skills required to do real work become very apparent when you get into the trenches and see the real moving parts of an operation.
This mindset is astonishing.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:00 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
I think the problem is you think a person needs a college degree to succeed in the economy. The fact is most jobs (emphasis on jobs) don't even need a college education to do.

Unless a person is majoring in eningeering, business, or medical that requires a form of professional registration and licence a person is wasting their time and money in getting a college degree.
You are full of beans.

2016 numbers all families across the US (source Federal Reserve Bank St. Louis):
Median wealth college degree - $238,000
Median wealth non-college grad - $54,000

You should add finance, accounting, computer science, law, various health (not just MD/DO), myriad agriculture degrees and dozens of others.

https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-ec...grads-nongrads

Old 10-05-2018, 04:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
To quote EDS above, you are full of beans. In addition if it is true that "(b)usiness wont expose low level staff to anything complicated. They do the basic stuff that greases the wheels." (which with I agree), what's the point of working?

"School is not hard work or real work." Are you serious? Have you gone to physical therapy school?

Old 10-05-2018, 04:49 PM

884 posts, read 1,172,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
You are full of beans.

2016 numbers all families across the US (source Federal Reserve Bank St. Louis):

You should add finance, accounting, computer science, law, various health (not just MD/DO), myriad agriculture degrees and dozens of others.

Later in life when said person is still making $12/hr and barely making it this is the same kind of person who says you should have gone to college or trade school to get an advanced degree. Everyone I know who is all anti-college or whatever also looks down on low wage earners.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:02 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:

That's a whole different argument. I do think a BA is the new high school diploma. I agree with you about the "general" degrees like psychology. This has nothing to do with working while in college though.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:27 PM

172 posts, read 107,970 times
Quote:
You are full of beans.

Right, that is thanks in part to high paying engineering and medical professions.

Finance is not a regulated profession. That can be learned without going to college.

Computer science is another degree that can be learned without going to college.

Accounting is included per my original "regulated profession" depending on career path.

Should of included law as that is regulated.

Medical, only worth is to major if becoming a MD or equivalent.

Agriculture you don't need a degree to garden or farm.

Dozens of others? You tell me.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:36 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
You are full of beans.

because colleges tend to select people who show traits that lead to them being successful... college didnt make them successful, they would have figured something else if college had not been there for them to use

you ever go to a basketball match and say wow playing basketball makes people taller? no, because they were tall already which made them good at it. or being fast or anything else... coaching lets you get better at things you already do well and teach you to do things you didnt. but it does not "make" people successful, you do that yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities