Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2018, 07:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
and if you arent working while in school, you are paying people to support you... and if it is with a loan, they charge interest

how come people dont get this, if you take a loan out, you are paying them... the same way you are paying the school to let you attend class

besides, you can make near $9-10k in the summer break, this lets people have $1k/month during the school year to live on without needed loans. then they can work during the other breaks or 10-15 hours/week and manage to get by. they "work" 60-70 hours per week for school? they can do that during the school breaks too.

60-70 hours is normal for young people, either school+job now or doing the same 60-70 hours once they graduate. in a "difficult" field, those tech and financial jobs work their new hires long hours, on the low end of the job market they end up working those same hours but at two jobs...

difficulty isnt an excuse, its either you do it or not. if not then pick a different job because you wont make it for a lifetime career.
Document what kind of a job a high school grad with 0-3 years of college can get that will pay at least $3K/mo. Using 4 1/3 weeks a month, that is ~$775 per week; ~$19/hr.

I do not know any young person working those hours week in and week out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 08:04 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Document what kind of a job a high school grad with 0-3 years of college can get that will pay at least $3K/mo. Using 4 1/3 weeks a month, that is ~$775 per week; ~$19/hr.

I do not know any young person working those hours week in and week out.
im not basing the job around a 40 hour work week... there are "short" 8 week (or so) courses they can do to get certified for around $15/hour jobs during the school year, then work overtime during the break. and a dozen or so hours while in school during school term. or even during the transition between high school and college. but few people plan to get skilled for a job during that transition before college.

for example, if they work a food service job and stick with it. a lot of those food service jobs were their only options due to age restrictions of being under 18... no need to stick with it as an adult. But they need to know that an alcohol license can go a long ways once they hit 21 if they want to stick with food service but this puts them in their junior year already so already this is a slow start. a high school grad need to figure out what they can do for the next four years to pay the bills. going to college doesnt exempt them from bills, unless they choose to delay them at cost. Stick with working in the food industry and eventually they will need to sell alcohol to earn more money, or leave this field as soon as possible. there arent many jobs in food service that make money without alcohol involved. But I see a lot of college students or even college grads working jobs that minors can do, not for lack of options but because they didnt look for other types of jobs

Old 10-04-2018, 08:08 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
im not basing the job around a 40 hour work week... there are "short" 8 week (or so) courses they can do to get certified for around $15/hour jobs during the school year, then work overtime during the break. and a dozen or so hours while in school during school term. or even during the transition between high school and college. but few people plan to get skilled for a job during that transition before college.

for example, if they work a food service job and stick with it. a lot of those food service jobs were their only options due to age restrictions of being under 18... no need to stick with it as an adult. But they need to know that an alcohol license can go a long ways once they hit 21 if they want to stick with food service but this puts them in their junior year already so already this is a slow start. a high school grad need to figure out what they can do for the next four years to pay the bills. going to college doesnt exempt them from bills, unless they choose to delay them at cost. Stick with working in the food industry and eventually they will need to sell alcohol to earn more money, or leave this field as soon as possible. there arent many jobs in food service that make money without alcohol involved. But I see a lot of college students or even college grads working jobs that minors can do, not for lack of options but because they didnt look for other types of jobs
Anyway, how did you do it?

Old 10-04-2018, 08:18 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
OT like other schools havent changed much in tuition rates, its the room and board portion that increased more. going down the page, the room and board fees cost more than the tuition part
https://www.collegetuitioncompare.co...ional-Therapy/

i lost the link but there were a site that compared room and board to tuition from the 1960s to 2000s, and it showed about the same thing.

putting the onus on colleges and dismissing personal responsibility in taking out loans doesnt help anyone either

no, you dont HAVE to work a job, but if you need a loan for living costs... you had a spouse willing to support you, thats fine... now you help him out. bank "supports" the student, and now they help the bank out with monthly payments.
I looked up my school and what the tuition is now, it is 3X higher. I am telling you working would not have been possible with my major. But no I don’t put the onus on students. We are the only developed country n the world where kids graduate with mortgages, they didn’t create that, they inherited it. We owe them more than this.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:42 AM

172 posts, read 107,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I looked up my school and what the tuition is now, it is 3X higher. I am telling you working would not have been possible with my major. But no I don’t put the onus on students. We are the only developed country n the world where kids graduate with mortgages, they didn’t create that, they inherited it. We owe them more than this.
Why was working not possible for you?

Why do "we" owe these kids anything? Why don't you do something about this?

Inherit debt? What are you talking about? Debt is a choice.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:49 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COJeff View Post

I worked a few semesters, but mostly it wasn't realistic. Several semesters I had 3, sometimes 4, lab sciences. On the weekends I was in doing lab work. Especially the last two years.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:52 AM

172 posts, read 107,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
what was your niche?
Not going to give away all my secrets.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:11 AM

949 posts, read 572,981 times
The marketing of certifications and on-line university/college have likely fueled to this behavior. People are easily lured to these types of "easy" solutions to solve their problems. If you are too lazy to get up and drive to class what makes you think online schooling and shortcut certifications are going to solve their problem? Lazy is lazy no matter how you slice it.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:

Many graduate/professional programs do recommend not working. My daughter is a PT and they were advised not to work during school. For one thing, at times they did 40 hour a week clinicals. Try fitting a job into that. And you have to set priorities. If you're in school, the priority should be school, not the minimum-wage or barely above job.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:04 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:

I explained it in detail in not one but two threads. Look under my name if you want to read the posts. I didn't say inherit debt, I said they inherited the current economy and exhorbitant college costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities