Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2018, 01:08 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,300,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Unless something had changed drastically, the pre med curriculum for both is really the same, bio I/II, chem I/II, organic, statistics, intro anatomy and physiology, genetics, etc.
The curriculum is essentially the same, although vet schools have less standardized admission requirements than medical schools.

Because vet school is so competitive in some regions of the country, though, 3+ years of working with animals can be critical. A good pre-professional health adviser can help identify internships/volunteer/job opportunities that can be applied towards both career paths though.

I have a number of former students and advisees who are now vets. All of them had their hearts set on veterinary medicine since high school. It is much harder for a junior or senior premed to switch to vetmed than the reverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 01:45 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,425,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'm just some dude on the internet. However, unless your kiddo has a burning passion for animals IMO she should manage undergrad such that she has a realistic shot at medicine or vet. medicine. It might be best if she made the medicine v. vet. medicine call after a year or two in college.

Vet. schools are fiendishly hard to get into, there are far fewer open slots per year vs. MD/DO paths. Vet. schools tend to cost about as much as most public medical schools and average vet. pay is not close to what MDs and DOs make. It's true, however, the path to becoming an MD/DO is generally three or four or more years longer.

FWIIW - between our son, his wife and our daughter all either are or will be MDs. Further, we own a ranch as such I know a number of vets. quite well.

Just some ideas, best of luck to your kiddo and you too!
Thanks! She will definitely be in a prevet program majoring in Biology first, maybe MSU. As well as working under a vet clinic. She has been at the Humane Society for 2 years as well as working on a farm.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Suze Ormon advises people to take their basics at a community college for 2 years, then transfer to a state university. And work part time while in college. People who follow this advice wind up with far less debt.

Having said that, many community colleges and state universities are starting to increase their tuition as well. If this trend does not reverse, only the very wealthy will be able to get degrees in the future.
Suze is wrong.

Point 1: You have to be careful about what will transfer. Also, don't believe that BS about how the first two years of college are exactly the same for everyone. Most students start taking courses in their majors freshman year. You wait too long and you'll end up going to school longer. Some programs, like some nursing programs, require very specific courses from the very beginning that a CC doesn't offer, even if they have a nursing program.

Point 2. Working has been discussed. Most jobs available to college students are low wage and if you're going to school, there is only a certain amount of time you can dedicate to the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Depends on the field. Some programs are so difficult that it is almost impossible to go to school full-time and work as well.
Agreed. But I don't want to get into this argument again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Join the military, get free education, problem solved.

That’s what I had to do.

If you’re parents are poor and cheap like mine, you don’t have many options.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"; H L Mencken. The military is not meant to be a scholarship fund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t recall hearing anyone forced in a trade at an early age. Usually kids who are involved in the trade and early age have a parent who is in a trade a family business, they are taught a skill. These are not the kids who need to go to trade school. The reason trade school students are in so much debt is that the schools pray on areas of poverty and tell these kids are this is going to be the answer to their dreams. All of the schools are located near poor neighborhoods. They take out loans and these kids names and half the time they don’t even understand what is being done to them. These are not blue color trades trade schools cover everything from certified nurses aids to x-ray techs To working in a restaurant. But they don’t provide a good education. And a documentary, they had to nursing students who went through the entire program I never set foot in a hospital. Neither had been able to get a job in nursing because their training had not been adequate. There of been investigations into them on and off, but nothing ever happens to them.

Community colleges I’ve never heard of satellite kids with that unless the kids just keep keep changing majors and never graduate. My community college experience was awesome but I graduated there with no debt it was only in my transfer program that I accrued debt.
There are many people on this forum who encourage people to send their kids to trade schools straight from high school.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:13 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Suze is wrong.

Point 1: You have to be careful about what will transfer. Also, don't believe that BS about how the first two years of college are exactly the same for everyone. Most students start taking courses in their majors freshman year. You wait too long and you'll end up going to school longer. Some programs, like some nursing programs, require very specific courses from the very beginning that a CC doesn't offer, even if they have a nursing program.

Point 2. Working has been discussed. Most jobs available to college students are low wage and if you're going to school, there is only a certain amount of time you can dedicate to the job.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"; H L Mencken. The military is not meant to be a scholarship fund.

There are many people on this forum who encourage people to send their kids to trade schools straight from high school.
I have nothing to add. Katerina said it all.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:38 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Suze is wrong.

I think it's a great idea, but not for CNA or something like the mills offer. There are legit trade schools for plumbing, electrician, well paying jobs that have a perpetual shortage.

Suze is not wrong, and we have argued about this before. Doing my first 2 years at CC was the best decision I made (along with my major). It is not difficult at all to make sure credits will transfer before you take them.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:20 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,493,300 times
I have a lot to say on this, but I will start by saying that my parents paid for my college. When I got out, I asked my father if I could pay them back. He said, "YES! You can. You can pay us back by providing college for your own children."

I was determined at that time that I would indeed do that.

I have three children. I calculated that the only we we could actually provide them with "parent paid" education was to tell then to either start at community college and transfer to the local 4 year school, or go directly to the 4 year school while living at home. We have told them the "plan" since they were little. With only one income (I stopped working when one child needed me at home, but that isn't the purpose of this thread.)

Our local CC is (roughly) $3,000/year for tuition and fees.
Our local 4 year college is (roughly) $7,000/year for tuition and fees.
There is a reciprocal agreement between the two for *most* degrees.

Our children had the potential to spend $20K plus books and car/gas and get a full 4 year education. I didn't think that was too shabby, especially since there are some private Kindergarten-12th grade schools that run far more than that PER YEAR for tuition.

It has turned out that I have gone back to work full time, and we have been able to send our older two (currently in college) to schools that cost more. But my POINT is that you can spend far less on college than you think you can.

There are so many options! And scholarships. And even some community colleges across the country who offer selective 4 year degrees at CC college costs.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:52 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Unless something had changed drastically, the pre med curriculum for both is really the same, bio I/II, chem I/II, organic, statistics, intro anatomy and physiology, genetics, etc.
Yea. Both have the same college pre-reqs., generally anyway. It's the volunteer efforts, intern work and MCAT v. GRE (most vet. med programs will take one or the other), AMSA v. pre-vet club etc.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
The curriculum is essentially the same, although vet schools have less standardized admission requirements than medical schools.

Because vet school is so competitive in some regions of the country, though, 3+ years of working with animals can be critical. A good pre-professional health adviser can help identify internships/volunteer/job opportunities that can be applied towards both career paths though.

I have a number of former students and advisees who are now vets. All of them had their hearts set on veterinary medicine since high school. It is much harder for a junior or senior premed to switch to vetmed than the reverse.
Bingo.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Thanks! She will definitely be in a prevet program majoring in Biology first, maybe MSU. As well as working under a vet clinic. She has been at the Humane Society for 2 years as well as working on a farm.
OK her mind is made up. Good for her.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think it's a great idea, but not for CNA or something like the mills offer. There are legit trade schools for plumbing, electrician, well paying jobs that have a perpetual shortage.

Suze is not wrong, and we have argued about this before. Doing my first 2 years at CC was the best decision I made (along with my major). It is not difficult at all to make sure credits will transfer before you take them.
At the very least, Suze is making a blanket statement that does not apply to everyone. Here is the University of Colorado electrical engineering curriculum.
https://www.colorado.edu/engineering...ate-curriculum

Tell me how you can fulfill that at the local CC, Front Range CC.
https://www.frontrange.edu/programs-and-courses/catalog

Granted, there is an articulation agreement between the community college system in Colorado and some of the public universities regarding accepting certain courses, but some will count for elective credit only. As you can see, some of these special courses which FRCC nor any CC in Colorado likely offer need to be taken freshman year.

Here are the degree requirements for the nursing program at my university:
https://www.nursing.pitt.edu/degree-...2018-2019-2020
Find some of these courses which must be taken freshman/sophomore year, in any CC catalog. Most of these are nursing courses specific to this university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities