Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2018, 10:18 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Errm, apparently, Suze said it. See below.

The one making the blanket statements is Suze. No one commented on my engineering example, either.
It is good advice. She’s not saying don’t do research first to make sure it’s a good fit for your goals, but there is no disadvantage to looking into it. You seem to be actually hostile toward CCs and I think it colors your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 10:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It is good advice. She’s not saying don’t do research first to make sure it’s a good fit for your goals, but there is no disadvantage to looking into it. You seem to be actually hostile toward CCs and I think it colors your advice.
I don't know where you got such an idea. Perhaps you could elaborate on this bit of keyboard psychology.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
I don't know where you got such an idea. Perhaps you could elaborate on this bit of keyboard psychology.
It’s just the attitude that comes across in your posts about it, they sound angry to me. There seems to be a “challenge” component to some of your responses like ‘oh yeah, I dare you to find an equivalency for THIS’ kind of thing.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s just the attitude that comes across in your posts about it, they sound angry to me. There seems to be a “challenge” component to some of your responses like ‘oh yeah, I dare you to find an equivalency for THIS’ kind of thing.
Keyboard psychology.

For all that some people say "the first two years are the same for every major", that's untrue, even in a plain vanilla liberal arts major. Unless you want to spend extra years, one usually starts on courses in their intended major by second semester freshman year. Some courses have various pre-reqs that need to be taken. These majors are designed to be completed at one school. Granted, people can and do transfer, but it almost always involves additional time.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-04-2018 at 08:40 AM..

Old 10-04-2018, 05:34 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Depends on the field. Some programs are so difficult that it is almost impossible to go to school full-time and work as well.
depending on the field??? yeah sure, if i bought that argument, then i will say that the field they are planning on going into is going to be difficult too...

fyi life doesnt get easier once you leave school...

again figure out how to work a job if you have to rely on loans... because you either spend your time working as a student or working two jobs as a college grad to make up for the money you spent earlier

if they cant manage a job and school, how are they going to manage a job and raising a family? oh, i forgot, millennials these day tend to skip the raising a family part of life

a standard of responsibility is if you cant manage it, then the field is too hard for you... all that extra credit in school? no one cares about it... you dont get credit in life for turning in homework

Old 10-04-2018, 05:50 PM

^^We've had this, er, discussion before. It's sometimes very difficult to combine working with school. Someone always comes along and tells us how they went to school FT and worked FT and yada, yada. However, it takes up every bit of time you have and then some sometimes.

It's not analogous to working and raising a family. When you're doing that, you pay someone to watch the kids; you don't do both. Sometimes married couples can swing it with little to no day care; it depends on the jobs, their locations, the kids, etc.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
^^We've had this, er, discussion before. It's sometimes very difficult to combine working with school. Someone always comes along and tells us how they went to school FT and worked FT and yada, yada. However, it takes up every bit of time you have and then some sometimes.

It's not analogous to working and raising a family. When you're doing that, you pay someone to watch the kids; you don't do both. Sometimes married couples can swing it with little to no day care; it depends on the jobs, their locations, the kids, etc.
and if you arent working while in school, you are paying people to support you... and if it is with a loan, they charge interest

how come people dont get this, if you take a loan out, you are paying them... the same way you are paying the school to let you attend class

besides, you can make near $9-10k in the summer break, this lets people have $1k/month during the school year to live on without needed loans. then they can work during the other breaks or 10-15 hours/week and manage to get by. they "work" 60-70 hours per week for school? they can do that during the school breaks too.

60-70 hours is normal for young people, either school+job now or doing the same 60-70 hours once they graduate. in a "difficult" field, those tech and financial jobs work their new hires long hours, on the low end of the job market they end up working those same hours but at two jobs...

difficulty isnt an excuse, its either you do it or not. if not then pick a different job because you wont make it for a lifetime career.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
and if you arent working while in school, you are paying people to support you... and if it is with a loan, they charge interest

how come people dont get this, if you take a loan out, you are paying them... the same way you are paying the school to let you attend class

besides, you can make near $9-10k in the summer break, this lets people have $1k/month during the school year to live on without needed loans. then they can work during the other breaks or 10-15 hours/week and manage to get by. they "work" 60-70 hours per week for school? they can do that during the school breaks too.

60-70 hours is normal for young people, either school+job now or doing the same 60-70 hours once they graduate. in a "difficult" field, those tech and financial jobs work their new hires long hours, on the low end of the job market they end up working those same hours but at two jobs...

difficulty isnt an excuse, its either you do it or not. if not then pick a different job because you wont make it for a lifetime career.
I couldn’t work full time in OT school. I had an hour commute each way and no ability to choose class days and times as our schedule was set for us and we attended each class as a group. We were assigned community projects all over the city which we did in groups meeting after classes. We had clinical affiliations three months long each that were full time with no pay. I often spent hours in the library after and before classes. And yes, it was a hard program, with a lot of research required.

This was my future, and to me it would have been stupid to screw if up trying to make an extra $50 a week. No one paid for me here, I was an older student of which there are many now. My spouse supported me, I was lucky. I graduated Magna *** Laude in a very hard program after dropping out of high school 15 years earlier. You have no business judging me or anyone.

But regardless of whether someone can get a job, it does not justify why the costs have increased so much between then and now. As I said OTs now are graduating $100,000 in debt from the same school I graduated from $30,000 in debt 20 years ago, over 3x more the cost increased while salaries have increased by about 20% in that time.

Putting the onus all on the student and dismissing it as a non-issue is just evidence of the frog simmering in the pot to me.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:47 PM

OT like other schools havent changed much in tuition rates, its the room and board portion that increased more. going down the page, the room and board fees cost more than the tuition part
https://www.collegetuitioncompare.co...ional-Therapy/

i lost the link but there were a site that compared room and board to tuition from the 1960s to 2000s, and it showed about the same thing.

putting the onus on colleges and dismissing personal responsibility in taking out loans doesnt help anyone either

no, you dont HAVE to work a job, but if you need a loan for living costs... you had a spouse willing to support you, thats fine... now you help him out. bank "supports" the student, and now they help the bank out with monthly payments.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:02 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,819,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
OT like other schools havent changed much in tuition rates, its the room and board portion that increased more. going down the page, the room and board fees cost more than the tuition part
https://www.collegetuitioncompare.co...ional-Therapy/

i lost the link but there were a site that compared room and board to tuition from the 1960s to 2000s, and it showed about the same thing.

putting the onus on colleges and dismissing personal responsibility in taking out loans doesnt help anyone either

no, you dont HAVE to work a job, but if you need a loan for living costs... you had a spouse willing to support you, thats fine... now you help him out. bank "supports" the student, and now they help the bank out with monthly payments.
So, how did you do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities