Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:40 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
The OP said in his other post that he was embarrassed to go to a community college.

My advice...get over it!
Wow...if he is allowing embarrassment to get in the way of even considering what may be be a very appropriate vehicle for his education, he is maybe not ready for college in more ways than grades....People go to community college for a lot of different reasons and with the economy like it is, I think we'll be seeing a lot more people making this choice for purely economic reasons.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:56 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,605,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Ha Ha!

The OP has a non-verbal learning disability, he is not mute.

WOW I must have read it wrong. I though the OP said he has a "learning disability--non-verbal" meaning he's non-verbal.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:00 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
I've got to agree with the majority of the posters here - your priority has to be your grades over your EC's. You have a semester to bring everything up - go for it! A study group or a tutor can make a world of difference because you would be forced to focus, something you have said you have trouble with. I would drop everything except the newspaper, including your job if possible.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:37 AM

356 posts, read 808,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I'm diagnosed and as ADD as they come. It's something you're just going to have to deal with. Pills are not the solution and they are unsustainable. Anyone can study harder when they are wired on speed, you just have to learn to deal with tedium and boredom.

This is it. You've got 2 quarters to fix a problem. No pep-talk is going to help, you just have to realize how much trouble you're in and you have to realize that you can still get out of it and you have to realize that there is only one way to do it.

So do it. Don't give me this "I just never live up to my potential" bullbutter, it's time to cowboy up. Successful people have learned to make what they want happen. They aren't born that way. You'd better start learning to do it now because your life will never get any easier.

I apologize if this sounds harsh, but no one is doing you any favors by blowing sunshine up your shorts.
Cowboy Up??

Go back to Boston!

But seriously...it is true. I have 4.0 potential. My IQ is 158 but I'm lazy. Simple as that.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:48 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,065,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesGiantsRangersNYK View Post

But seriously...it is true. I have 4.0 potential. My IQ is 158 but I'm lazy. Simple as that.
There's not much we can do to help with that. Ever try to inflate a balloon by pulling from the outside? It just won't work. You have to blow it up yourself. You can get 1000 people to tell you right thing, to encourage you, to pull on that balloon, but if you won't take a breath and blow it will lay there flat on the table. That balloon is your potential, your future....you can make it SOAR or not. It's up to you. You have all the knowledge and answers you need (you even knew before you asked), now is time for action. Good luck.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
That's a huge issue. If that is truly your problem that will be a bigger hindrance throughout life than any learning disability. You've been all over here looking for a quick and easy answer to get into a school that wouldn't be "embarrassing". You've been given good answers which basically boil down to 2 things: suck it up and do what it takes to improve your grades or change your mindset regarding community or "lesser" colleges. That's pretty much it. It really doesn't matter what your IQ is or what your "potential" is. What you choose to do with whatever gifts or disabilities you have is a character issue that has much more implications in life that what college you get into. Think about it and make a decision. Stop whining and looking for easy or convenient answers and do something about it.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:51 AM

Community Colleges are for kids with NO future.

I've been told I'm a GIFTED writer.

That is why I cannot go to Community College.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesGiantsRangersNYK View Post
Community Colleges are for kids with NO future.

I've been told I'm a GIFTED writer.

That is why I cannot go to Community College.
You can, you just don't want to. "Gifted" is a generic term which frankly means nothing unless you're willing to do the work to develop it. Kind of like "potential" - excuses for the lazy or unwilling.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:57 AM

Community college is only for kids with no future?? Really?
Wow, I'll have to let the engineers and project managers I work with who started out in CC's know that.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:57 AM

But I have developed it.

I've gotten much better over time. I'm a writer for my local paper...covering 3 sports...and i'm on the editorial board for my HS paper.

Community College??? Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities