Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:01 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times

Advertisements

okay, listen up, because I'm kind of losing patience with you and your excuses!

1) NO ONE is going to care about the fact that you started out at a community college! your assertion that community college is only for kids that are failures is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard! I know you're a high school kid, so I've been laying it easy on you, but seriously, it's time to put away these silly childish thoughts and start thinking of your future like a real adult! there are countless of highly successful adults that have gone to community colleges and thrived. in the end, no one is going to care, and frankly, given the tough economic times we're in now, it's just plain DUMB to waste money taking English Comp 101 for almost $2k at a fancy 4 year school when you could take the exact same class at a community college for a fraction of the costs (unless you get a terrific finaid package from a 4 year school). so please, let's let go of this silly, outdated notion that community college is for losers; most of those "losers" will have transferred into great 4 year colleges and graduate w/ little debt while many kids that go to a 4 year school right out of high school will have dropped out with thousands of dollars in debt hanging over their heads. of these two groups of people, who do you really think are the failures here?

2) your snobby attitude is really getting to me. you go to a fancy high school? hooray for you. got a 158 IQ and got the label "gifted" stuck onto your head? well, ain't that special. guess what? if you're lazy and have a crap GPA in high school, these won't save you! if you're lazy and seem to refuse to pinpoint the problem regarding your dropping GPA, these won't save you! in the end, if you can't do the work, the fact is that you could have a genius level IQ and it won't mean squat b/c if you can't or won't do the work, you will FAIL in college, simple as that. you claim you try, yet you've admitted that you're lazy and your GPA has dropped since you last posted. if you're trying, you aren't trying nearly hard enough

and kid, I've tutored so many college English students who claim they are the best dang gifted writers on Earth (I've even had one tell me that his second drafts are always better than the first because that's when "the genius" (his words, not mine) really comes out and "works its magic" (again, his words, not mine)). mind you, I'm tutoring these kids and spend most of these sessions explaining to them how to write an intelligible essay. as a fiction writing major, I've come across far too many snobby classmates who like to compare themselves to the big wigs, yet have nothing to prove their skill. colleges won't care how much of a great writer you think you are, the truth is in the pudding. if you've own awards for your writings or if your articles of gotten you widespread recognition, then you've got something to work w/. otherwise, you're just another student writer w/ big dreams and little else to show for them

3) you keep going on about your ECs when multiple people have stated that they aren't spectacular. the fact that you write for your school paper doesn't mean squat if you get a C in English and an I in journalism! time to get your priorities straight. right now, it doesn't look like you can manage both your course work and your ECs, so drop the ECs. if you can afford to, drop the job. a college is not going to look over and forgive a low GPA just b/c you write for the sports section of your school paper.

4) if you think you can improve your grades, fine, do it. no need to convince anyone here of the fact. it is quite silly that you're on here debating about the term "cowboy up" when you should be more worried about raising your GPA, regardless if you have a free period or not. hint: you may want to use those free periods as actual study periods and not times to roam the internet. get some classmates together and start a study group. look for a tutor. check to see if you can meet w/ a guidance counselor at this time. check to see if you can meet w/ your teachers at this time and work out ways to salvage your remaining year. don't waste your time b/c frankly, you have very little of it left to fix things up

look, in the end, it's your life, so you can take all our suggestions with a large grain of salt. if you're so sure you can bring up your grades this year and pull off a 3.0+ GPA, go for it. come up with the motivation and go for it. if you think you can get in and want to apply to a school like Emerson, go for it. if you still want to forgo community college and head straight into a 4 year school, well, that's your prerogative. in the end, it's your life, and I doubt anything we say here will change your mind. however, realize that many of us here have already played this game, and we're coming from a different place of thinking than you. I know it's hard to see the big picture when you're in high school, but realize that some of the things people are suggesting to you come from personal observations and real life.

I went to a well regarded high school w/ lots of kids that had big ideas just like you. some of these kids accomplished exactly what they wanted and went on to big name 4 year colleges like Harvard and MIT. some of these kids ended up going to lesser known 4 year colleges or going to a community college before hand. and more than a few of these kids are working retail jobs right now with no college degree at all (and many of them w/ $20K+ in loan debt w/ nothing to shoe for it b/c they dropped out of college their freshman year). only thing that really separated most of these people wasn't intelligence, but motivation. want to prove us wrong, pass w/ a high GPA this year, get into a top tier college, and graduate with honors? please, go right ahead!

ETA: in hindsight, this post came off a bit harsher than I'd planned, but I don't feel like editing down and sugarcoating anything anymore

Last edited by eevee; 02-13-2009 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: inappropriate langage

Old 02-13-2009, 09:37 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

1) NO ONE is going to care about the fact that you started out at a community college! your assertion that community college is only for kids that are failures is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard! I know you're a high school kid, so I've been laying it easy on you, but seriously, it's time to put away these silly childish thoughts and start thinking of your future like a real adult! there are countless of highly successful adults that have gone to community colleges and thrived. in the end, no one is going to care, and frankly, given the tough economic times we're in now, it's just plain DUMB to waste money taking English Comp 101 for almost $2k at a fancy 4 year school when you could take the exact same class at a community college for a fraction of the costs (unless you get a terrific finaid package from a 4 year school). so please, let's let go of this silly, outdated notion that community college is for losers; most of those "losers" will have transferred into great 4 year colleges and graduate w/ little debt while many kids that go to a 4 year school right out of high school will have dropped out with thousands of dollars in debt hanging over their heads. of these two groups of people, who do you really think are the failures here?

2) your snobby attitude is really getting to me. you go to a fancy high school? hooray for you. got a 158 IQ and got the label "gifted" stuck onto your head? well, ain't that special. guess what? if you're lazy and have a crap GPA in high school, these won't save you! if you're lazy and seem to refuse to pinpoint the problem regarding your dropping GPA, these won't save you! in the end, if you can't do the work, the fact is that you could have a genius level IQ and it won't mean squat b/c if you can't or won't do the work, you will FAIL in college, simple as that. you claim you try, yet you've admitted that you're lazy and your GPA has dropped since you last posted. if you're trying, you aren't trying nearly hard enough

and kid, I've tutored so many college English students who claim they are the best dang gifted writers on Earth (I've even had one tell me that his second drafts are always better than the first because that's when "the genius" (his words, not mine) really comes out and "works its magic" (again, his words, not mine)). mind you, I'm tutoring these kids and spend most of these sessions explaining to them how to write an intelligible essay. as a fiction writing major, I've come across far too many snobby classmates who like to compare themselves to the big wigs, yet have nothing to prove their skill. colleges won't care how much of a great writer you think you are, the truth is in the pudding. if you've own awards for your writings or if your articles of gotten you widespread recognition, then you've got something to work w/. otherwise, you're just another student writer w/ big dreams and little else to show for them

3) you keep going on about your ECs when multiple people have stated that they aren't spectacular. the fact that you write for your school paper doesn't mean squat if you get a C in English and an I in journalism! time to get your priorities straight. right now, it doesn't look like you can manage both your course work and your ECs, so drop the ECs. if you can afford to, drop the job. a college is not going to look over and forgive a low GPA just b/c you write for the sports section of your school paper.

4) if you think you can improve your grades, fine, do it. no need to convince anyone here of the fact. it is quite silly that you're on here debating about the term "cowboy up" when you should be more worried about raising your GPA, regardless if you have a free period or not. hint: you may want to use those free periods as actual study periods and not times to roam the internet. get some classmates together and start a study group. look for a tutor. check to see if you can meet w/ a guidance counselor at this time. check to see if you can meet w/ your teachers at this time and work out ways to salvage your remaining year. don't waste your time b/c frankly, you have very little of it left to fix things up

look, in the end, it's your life, so you can take all our suggestions with a large grain of salt. if you're so sure you can bring up your grades this year and pull off a 3.0+ GPA, go for it. come up with the motivation and go for it. if you think you can get in and want to apply to a school like Emerson, go for it. if you still want to forgo community college and head straight into a 4 year school, well, that's your prerogative. in the end, it's your life, and I doubt anything we say here will change your mind. however, realize that many of us here have already played this game, and we're coming from a different place of thinking than you. I know it's hard to see the big picture when you're in high school, but realize that some of the things people are suggesting to you come from personal observations and real life.

I went to a well regarded high school w/ lots of kids that had big ideas just like you. some of these kids accomplished exactly what they wanted and went on to big name 4 year colleges like Harvard and MIT. some of these kids ended up going to lesser known 4 year colleges or going to a community college before hand. and more than a few of these kids are working retail jobs right now with no college degree at all (and many of them w/ $20K+ in loan debt w/ nothing to shoe for it b/c they dropped out of college their freshman year). only thing that really separated most of these people wasn't intelligence, but motivation. want to prove us wrong, pass w/ a high GPA this year, get into a top tier college, and graduate with honors? please, go right ahead!

ETA: in hindsight, this post came off a bit harsher than I'd planned, but I don't feel like editing down and sugarcoating anything anymore
Wow! Can I nominate that for post of the year?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:43 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Now I think we should stop giving the OP any more reason to stop by here searching for validation. It's time to ignore him.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:54 AM

301 posts, read 804,609 times
I'm in a similar boat.

You're not going to get into an Ivy-League... but because you're involved in so many things, that may be valued at many colleges.

I would just say... apply to as many places as possible... including your local state colleges. I think that as long as you graduate, you have a chance at getting into college. There are some colleges that AREN'T community colleges that accept 100% of students. Also... going to a community college for two years is reputable. It saves you in tuition and allows you to transfer into a 4 year university without having to worry much about high school grades.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:12 AM

356 posts, read 808,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

I'M NOT MAKING EXCUSES! I'M TELLING YOU FACTS ABOUT ME! I WANT TO IMPROVE!

And I hate the term cowboy up because I'm a Yankees fan and apparently you dont remember who Kevin Millar is and how he inspired all those a-hole Red Sox fans to wear Cowboy hats with the slogan "cowboy up".

I'm not snobbish. Its not my fault kids in my school make fun of Community College. If stupid Norwalk Community College didnt embarrass itself with commercials that made them look like a school for retarded kids I'd have no problem with going to a Community College. But since that happened NCC became a joke and anybody who goes there is instantly considered to be "retarded". Not fair.

I DONT WRITE FOR THE HIGH SCHOOL PAPER! I'm on the EDITORIAL BOARD! I edit the sports section AND write articles. I will have done that for 3 years of my high school life. Its not like I'm just some writer for the paper. I'm an editor. I'm not just gonna drop that! Theres even an outside shot I become editor in chief next year! How amazing would that be? I'd be extremely proud of myself.

OK, got it, good...now calm down.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-14-2009 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 02-14-2009, 09:14 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
::: shaking head :::

Some people will NEVER get it.....

Old 02-14-2009, 09:17 AM

What? What did I do now?

Old 02-14-2009, 09:44 AM

I'm trying not to come across as a jerk

Old 02-14-2009, 11:40 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesGiantsRangersNYK View Post
I'm trying not to come across as a jerk
Well you are. Maybe this will help; whenever you feel the urge to respond to a post, stop for a second or two, and then write the opposite of what you originally intended to write.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Well you are. Maybe this will help; whenever you feel the urge to respond to a post, stop for a second or two, and then write the opposite of what you originally intended to write.
How am I coming across as a jerk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities