Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 06:46 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesGiantsRangersNYK View Post
How am I the arrogant one when I have self confidence and believe I can get my grades up and you guys are basically telling me "No You Cant, your not smart enough you lazy bastard". Its extremely unfair and kind of mean. All I asked for was advice and I get ridiculed for using the word retard in a sentence when I didnt even call anybody retarded.

I think I'm smart. I dont need people to tell me I'm an idiot like you guys do. Charles Barkley once said, "I dont care what people think. People are stupid." I know I'm smart. I feel like I'm smarter than most people just lazy sometimes.
You are arrogant because you asked for advice and then proceeded to tell those who gave you advice that they were full of it. You are arrogant because you believe that your IQ is going to magically pull you through at the last minute.

No one is calling you an idiot. Lazy, yes. That you are possibly making a mistake by taking the week off, yes. Calling you dumb, no. Personally, I could care less about whether or not you get into college. That has no bearing on my life. I do, however, have knowledge and experience with college and how it works. Many others on here do as well. You asked for advice, and we gave it. Take the week off. Take the rest of the year off, too, if you so see fit. Just do not plan on entering a top tier university like you desire.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:04 PM

356 posts, read 808,894 times
I have no choice.

I have to take the week off.

I cant take the rest of the year off.

That would be terrble.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:43 PM

Charles Barkley is not my role model. I'm a Knicks fan. I dont even root for a team he played on.

I just laugh at some of the stuff he says.

Such as the "people are stupid" quote.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:30 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
Enough of the pile on. Let's let Yankees.... get back to work, okay?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,786,110 times
Let's just sum it up for him:

Study extra, like you said you would.

Take the SATs/ACT (pray that your supposed high IQ will get you a super high score....).

Apply and let the colleges decide.

As most of the adults here have already stated, you can't blow a balloon up by sneezing on it (paraphrased).

Once you apply to all your colleges, you'll get your answers...
Luckily, community colleges usually let you enroll at the last minute!

And in ten years, maybe you will be lucky enough to have a kid who's your age now and in a similar situation ask you the same question -- I'll bet you'll have a much better answer than what you're giving yourself now!

Good luck.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:05 PM

What? You think I'll do bad on the ACT/SAT?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:58 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesGiantsRangersNYK View Post
I have no choice.

I have to take the week off.
Yeah, I know, your school is closed, but if you come across a few spare minutes it would be to your advantage to do some homework.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:20 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,786,110 times
Quote:
YankeesGiantsRangersNYK: What? You think I'll do bad on the ACT/SAT?
Yeah, it could be that way. If you really are a genius, then it's a surprise to me that you're not as astute as you could be, and that your grades are that bad, and your spelling and grammar are horrible on here. Those things show that you may not be as sharp as you claim to be.

The others are correct: hard work can take you far. When you figure statistically how low the percentage of geniuses are for the population, and then you figure in the percentage of those who succeed....well, it doesn't take a statistician to figure out that it's mostly regular, hard-working, dedicated people who succeed.

If you are that smart, it's a shame that you never channeled it into something ..... like grades .... that will get you into college. The others are correct -- all those extra-curricular activities are nothing in comparison to grades and test scores. If you're only getting Cs in English, well, odds are you don't have the rules of English down, and that will be covered on those tests....doesn't take a genius to learn them, but a genius may not learn them...it happens.

So, if you're really smart, you'll quit the quips and take some advice from the good folks here who have actually tried to help you. And if you don't get into a "real" college/university, it is only your own fault -- be grateful community colleges exist.

That's all I have to say because I can tell you're the kind of poster who is going to have a snappy come-back each time and just push things to the limit. I think you've received plenty of good advice. It's time to hit the books!

Good luck to you -- it's up to you.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:31 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
Stop worrying about ADD. Get your head out of that dark place and decide what it is you want to do with your life. It is not easy to concentrate on boring subjects, but that is what you have to do in class -- like it or not.

If you really want to be a journalist, go buy a copy of the Associate Press book. Dictionaries, Strunk and White and spend ALL bloody summer in Math and English classes. You probably will never need Geometry in Journalism, but you will need basic math most every day of your life.

Then go to a Junior college close to home for a year or two. By then you might be ready for prime time if you teach yourself to concentrate. You can do it. You do not have to be the social butteerfly. .

Drop the clubs. The election is over. You need to buckle down and concentrate on your school work. The troops will survive without you. You have a year to catch up. If you want a great GPA.

Education is the greatest gift you can give yourself. Education is the one thing in life that no one can steal from you, nor can you sell it or give it away. You can only share it. You'll need it when you have children and they want mommy or daddy to help them with their homework.

How on earth did you get into geometry if you cannot do basic math and algebra? You do not need a hypotenuse to write a grammatically correct sentence. You need Stunk and Whie.

If you think Spanish is tough, try Latin, Chinese or Russian. You do not have to be bilingual in America, but you do need to know math, and how to speak and write correctly with pen or computer.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:08 AM

272 posts, read 730,436 times
You don't have to be bilingual in America, but those who are bilingual will have a distinct advantage over you if your're not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities