Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:20 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times

Advertisements

Sexism, racism, ageism, and disgust with homosexuals is alive and well.

I'm saying that one must still be alert to those problems that can still occur in the work force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Many people work as paralegals to get experience in the field before law school...

Sexism kind of died out a few decades ago...

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-30-2009 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 01:21 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew2341 View Post
I'm a 24 year old junior liberal arts major at a mediocre state university with an above average, but not spectacular GPA. I have 30K in student loans already, and 4K in credit card debt. I work a job 30 hours a week making slightly above minimum wage in fast food. I feel like the epitome of a loser going nowhere fast. I couldn't land an internship; employers literally would not talk to liberal arts majors at my career fair on campus, and I've exhausted every online/in person resource available. Nobody wants anything to do with me.

I'm not wallowing in self pity as I did a lot of this to myself. I failed math in high school and have a non existent math background, thus limiting myself to a liberal arts major. I could have a 4.0ish gpa to offset this and try the law school thing, but I didn't pull it off. Frankly, I'm scared and without a clue. I think of nothing but my future all day to the point of obsession with no light at the end of the tunnel. I feel I have no future, no options. I get partial scholarships, yet I don't even know if I should go to school next fall. Tons more debt to finish this thing, and for what? So my parents can feel proud while I remain unemployable and without an employable skill or talent?

Should I spend another 15K (min) in student loans and finish off my bachelor degree in liberal studies, or should I start a trade at a a community college this summer? Something else?

Any thoughts or general ramblings are appreciated.
If I woke up in your shoes tomorrow I would enroll in a technical program that would give me a certificate/diploma/whatever for a medical technical speciality, something like occupational therapy, physical therapy, etc. The medical field is huge and will only get bigger.

If you do not care for the medical field, then I suggest that you learn a trade. It is not nearly so glamourous as say.... being a Computer Programmer, etc., but HVAC guys, plumbers and welders can write their own ticket. In the times where computer geeks are working for minimum wage, welders are making $30 or $40 thousand a year.

If I had it to do over again, I would not waste my time (and the government's money) on a worthless english degree (yeah, hard to tell from my posts, I know). But instead head to the technical side of town.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-30-2009, 01:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
now is always a good time to get out of a mistake. too many people keep rolling the dice and yelling double or nothing.
i like VE at a jr college or military. my favorite is RN. 3 year program no debt good pay.
americans are fixated on fulfilling their dreams. nonesense its about the money. dream on your own time.
hang in there.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:24 PM

Absolutely true.

Also if you cannot afford it, then it is not worth getting into debt for it. Don't do that.

Save up money for your education, and do what some of the others have suggested. Technical school, RN, or an associate degree.

RN does require math and hard science though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
now is always a good time to get out of a mistake. too many people keep rolling the dice and yelling double or nothing.
i like VE at a jr college or military. my favorite is RN. 3 year program no debt good pay.
americans are fixated on fulfilling their dreams. nonesense its about the money. dream on your own time.
hang in there.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:34 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,070,702 times
college is a waste of time unless you are planning on becoming an engineer or it or doctor/related to doc. the point of lfie is to make money and it is very possible to make lots of money without having to ever go to college, plus it depends on what you want from life. do you want to spend a lot of money on stuff you don't need or do you want to just have a steady income and live life? Sometimes with more things you don't really get to enjoy life.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Sexism, racism, ageism, and disgust with homosexuals is alive and well.
What on earth does homosexuality have to do with anything? Where did that come from?

You said something sexist and I commented on it, I don't care if you are attracted to guys, girls, trees, dogs, whatever. Sexuality has nothing to do with this thread, please stay on topic.

Andrew - if you drop out of college now there is a 0% chance you will ever become a lawyer. I know people who are currently in medical school who did post-bac work for 3 years (applying for med school every year) before they got in. If they would have given up, they would never have been able to achieve their dream. If you want to go to law school, take it one step at a time. The first step is getting a bachelor's degree. Don't settle for something less than your ideal career.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:49 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,700,734 times
have you considered law inforcement? or criminal justice, they have some decent jobs in that field. I had a friend who after college, got a job, and went to law school at night. He really never wanted to pratice law, but enjoyed school.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:03 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,005,094 times
Andrew, as a law professor, I very strongly urge you to stay in school and finish your degree, because as a junior, you have only a year to go to get the B.A. However, I also encourage you to do something while you're finishing your undergraduate degree. That is, at the same time as you're doing your senior year of liberal studies, go to the community college and get a paralegal certificate (or maybe your own university offers that program), or take education courses so you can get a teaching job when you graduate, or study court reporting. It doesn't have to be an either-or, i.e., either finish the B.A. or do something else. You can do both at the same time -- yes, it will be very difficult, and you'll add to your student loans, but at the end of the year you'll have a bachelor's degree and a marketable skill. Then you can go to work, start to pay off the loans, and think about whether law school is something you want to do. From my perspective, I've seen too many law students who enter law school just because they can't think of anything else to do.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:05 PM

Andrew there are lawyers that are in debt too and have to work up to getting $100,000 year salaries. You don't just become a lawyer and then start earning big. It is highly competitive and fierce, there will be job instabilities and insecurities, and other problems.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:08 PM

Court reporting has very low hiring rates.

A teaching job is probably better.

A paralegal certificate second best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weindell View Post
Andrew, as a law professor, I very strongly urge you to stay in school and finish your degree, because as a junior, you have only a year to go to get the B.A. However, I also encourage you to do something while you're finishing your undergraduate degree. That is, at the same time as you're doing your senior year of liberal studies, go to the community college and get a paralegal certificate (or maybe your own university offers that program), or take education courses so you can get a teaching job when you graduate, or study court reporting. It doesn't have to be an either-or, i.e., either finish the B.A. or do something else. You can do both at the same time -- yes, it will be very difficult, and you'll add to your student loans, but at the end of the year you'll have a bachelor's degree and a marketable skill. Then you can go to work, start to pay off the loans, and think about whether law school is something you want to do. From my perspective, I've seen too many law students who enter law school just because they can't think of anything else to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities