Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:12 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times

Advertisements

Oh, I hear you drjones. My middle son is a Junior in College who went in undeclared and decided to declare an English major. It was time to fish or cut bait because our kids go to College on the four year plan. My point is that you had said, "...this is why seniors in high school need to choose a career and figure out in detail how to get there." What we both agree on is that you have to figure some major by sophomore year. Actually, most colleges that I know make the students do that, and I'm disappointed that the OP's college has dropped the ball with career services.

Back to the OP. I found a website that might be helpful: Jobseekers Advice - Careers Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 11:21 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Oh, I hear you drjones. My middle son is a Junior in College who went in undeclared and decided to declare an English major. It was time to fish or cut bait because our kids go to College on the four year plan. My point is that you had said, "...this is why seniors in high school need to choose a career and figure out in detail how to get there." What we both agree on is that you have to figure some major by sophomore year. Actually, most colleges that I know make the students do that, and I'm disappointed that the OP's college has dropped the ball with career services.

Back to the OP. I found a website that might be helpful: Jobseekers Advice - Careers Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Having decided as a Senior in HS is ideal...because then if they choose they can take some entry level college courses to get a jump on things.

Deciding by your Sophomore year in college is absolutely the last minute...and even then it may mean they have to backtrack significantly to get on the right path.

Good luck to the OP with whatever happens.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:18 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew2341 View Post
I'm a 24 year old junior liberal arts major at a mediocre state university with an above average, but not spectacular GPA. I have 30K in student loans already, and 4K in credit card debt. I work a job 30 hours a week making slightly above minimum wage in fast food. I feel like the epitome of a loser going nowhere fast. I couldn't land an internship; employers literally would not talk to liberal arts majors at my career fair on campus, and I've exhausted every online/in person resource available. Nobody wants anything to do with me.

I'm not wallowing in self pity as I did a lot of this to myself. I failed math in high school and have a non existent math background, thus limiting myself to a liberal arts major. I could have a 4.0ish gpa to offset this and try the law school thing, but I didn't pull it off. Frankly, I'm scared and without a clue. I think of nothing but my future all day to the point of obsession with no light at the end of the tunnel. I feel I have no future, no options. I get partial scholarships, yet I don't even know if I should go to school next fall. Tons more debt to finish this thing, and for what? So my parents can feel proud while I remain unemployable and without an employable skill or talent?

Should I spend another 15K (min) in student loans and finish off my bachelor degree in liberal studies, or should I start a trade at a a community college this summer? Something else?

Any thoughts or general ramblings are appreciated.

That is a silly question in my opinion. If you quit, what will have changed.

Yes. finish school. Wait for the economy to get better. And take some community college classes after you are finished and think what direction you wan to go. There is no rush. You can work at a restaurant, like the rest of us, who are thinking what to do with the rest of our lives. Get a temp. job with a bank, mortgage company, the court house. There are plenty of jobs out there for people with a bachelor's degree in anything and the ability to type and talk to people.

good luck!!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:05 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I know this is too late for the original poster but I think everyone who is unsure of their future should do their first two years at a community college while working in a large company/government at an entry level job. Community colleges typically have flexible schedules because they accommodate working adults. In other words, you could get your two year degree at night. If you transfer to a university, after 4 years your 4 year degree just says you graduated from the 4 year school. It doesn't say you did the first two years in some community college. It will give you two years to sample some areas of interest to see if they're for you. It won't make you broke, while you figure out where you are going with your life. You'd be taking a lot of intro to this and that classes in the 4 year school, anyway, in those first two years. It will probably be easier to get into a school of choice as a junior transfer than as a freshman and you may find out the company/government office you are working in will hire you for a higher paying position, after you graduate, since you've already been with the company/government. If not them, someone will look upon your work experience favorably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities