Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:19 PM

87 posts, read 219,940 times

Advertisements

I commuted to Denver for 6 years three times a week...i learned NOT to go after 7am, and be sure I got back thru Monument by 2pm.. other wise it was a parking lot...
They've made great improvements but.. people will always slam in to each other twice a day everyday on the stretch of death Valley between the Springs and Monument...
Geeeze it took them decades and hundreds of deaths before they finally put in barriers in the island so the bozos with cockpit trouble wouldn't careen into oncoming traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 07:56 AM

598 posts, read 1,547,097 times
I live in Stetson Hills...couldn't be happier. Great place to raise a family...everything is close, always something to do, and we have an excellent neighborhood.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:40 PM

57 posts, read 117,744 times
I personally thought moving the Sky Sox stadium downtown would have been a neat idea. I know there are plenty of people on both sides of the argument. Just saying, I would like it.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:01 PM

641 posts, read 2,277,049 times
Interesting article. I live in Stetson Hills also. Sometimes I think CO Springs has far too many retail box stores. The "Generica" thing bugs me sometimes. Every part of the country looks like every other, with the same stores, restaraunts, and businesses. Ugh. All we need are more cell phone stores!

But I'm on Powers twice a day, to and from work, and I love my speedy commute. I also take advantage of some of the businesses along the Powers corridor almost every week, Lowes, Target, etc.

So I guess I'm a hypocrite, because I'm not a box store fan, but there's something to be said about convenience. I also know I will be frequenting the new "Jimmy John's" that the business owners mentioned in the article are building.

Last edited by Terytee; 08-30-2010 at 02:34 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 03:12 PM

598 posts, read 1,547,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
So I guess I'm a hypocrite, because I'm not a box store fan, but there's something to be said about convenience. I also know I will be frequenting the new "Jimmy John's" that the business owners mentioned in the article are building.

I hear ya...I too love the convenience. Especially with teenage daughters.

I can't tell you how many times I have run to Lowe's or Home Depot to get something quick that I was working on. Or Target or WalMart to get items for a last-minute school project...or King Soopers for a couple of items for dinner. I could go on and on. p.s. not that I would ever go to DQ for a late-night Blizzard!!!

Maybe I'll move out to a more rural area when the girls are off to college , who knows. Bottom line...I love it.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:34 PM

553 posts, read 1,636,272 times
I live in Garden Ranch, inside the triangle formed by Academy, Union, and Austin Bluffs. Established neighborhood. Trees and such. And, it takes me 10-15 minutes to get to Powers. I don't see any advantage to living any closer to Powers. Great, it takes 5 minutes to get there from Rustic Hills. You still need to get in the car to get to all those chain restaurants and big box stores.

I'll take an established neighborhood with trees and personality over a cookie-cutter development with no soul any day, particularly when the advantage of the newer homes is that they're 5 minutes closer to a retail corridor.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:45 PM

641 posts, read 2,277,049 times
Oh yeah! Well you have crab-grass!!

Old 08-30-2010, 06:04 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
The city of Colorado Springs can't seem to make up their mind about what Powers was supposed to be. First it was supposed to be a eastside freeway, one that it seems that the springs still desperately needs but may never get. Then it looked like it was downgraded to expressway from freeway -- but then in sections it appears to be mainly a retail corridor (so, basically an arterial). Yet the city still seems to have plans for it to be a major throughway. I don't know how you can be both a major transportation corridor plus a major retail corridor at the same time.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:54 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
As a new resident who lives near Stetson Hills/Austin Bluffs, I like Powers' convenience...all the stores for everyday shopping...although I would have preferred one big mall instead of a string of plazas. I think they way they did traffic along that stretch of Powers is really quite good -- no traffic coming out onto Powers directly from parking lots, instead only fed onto Powers at cross streets with traffic lights...much faster for traffic than, for example, Academy. They could smooth the flow even more with flyovers at the intersections...although maybe that would make it too fast.

And, if I want to do artsy-type shopping and dining, Old Colorado City and Manitou Springs aren't that far away.

I know that some don't like the big box stores, but back in my old state of Virginia I tried to patronize my local hardware store, which was in walking distance of my townhouse. 90% of the time they didn't have what I wanted, and, if they did, it was usually substantially more expensive than at Lowes or Home Depot. Same for the little bookstores as compared to Barnes & Noble..."we can order it for you" was so typical at the smaller bookstores, where at B&N they were fairly apt to have it. In fact, if I wanted to order something I could do it online myself. Nope, although I enjoy shopping, I don't want to spend my life doing it...so I'll take the big boxes and safe more time for the things in life that are much more interesting.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:02 PM

224 posts, read 732,788 times
I like the convenience of living off of Powers Blvd. I also live in Stetson Hills and I think it's a great neighborhood. I have trees and I live on a quarter acre lot. It's not mature trees, but I have a great view of the mountain. My house is a popular John Laing model, but cookie cutter or not, that's not what is important to me. I do like the convenience to schools and parks and shopping. Big box and popular retail is good to have. That's where we all like to shop. I love Costco! It would be nice to see other smaller stores and restaurants as well, but we all know sometimes unless they have great prices, service, and an excellent chef cooking, they won't make it. We also love going to Sky Sox games. And I can see the fireworks from my deck! I'm on Powers to and from work. Peterson Airforce Base is close as well as the government contracting companies. It's all convenient. I love my 15 minute commute. I would be fine with overpasses at the intersections too. I welcome the new stores and restaurants that open. Variety is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs