Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 08:27 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,410 times

Advertisements

I'm loving this nice drizzle that is coming down now. I love when it rains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 08:52 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I'm loving this nice drizzle that is coming down now. I love when it rains.
I think my garden is loving it, too, and it'll help to keep the foothills nice and green....

Old 07-12-2014, 08:57 PM

454 posts, read 1,224,784 times
One of the few things I miss from the East Coast is rain, so I love it right now. I hope it keeps on coming all summer long.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:13 PM

178 posts, read 173,320 times
Well, we still haven't had any good rain in Northern Springs since 7/12/14. I have only seen two very mild storms pass through here since that day, and they only produced some drizzling/light rain. The storm a few days ago (on Sunday) rolled over the mountains, passed the I-25 corridor, produced a lot of lighting just barely west of us, then came to a dead halt on our doorstep (it literally traveled 15 mph at full force in our direction, then stopped just shy of us before dissipating). We got about 10 minutes of drizzling and it was done. Everything west, east, and south of us got hammered. The storm today was the same story. There are a few more storms I am tracking on the doppler west of us right now, but I'm sure they will also move around us like always. Almost all of Colorado has some type of storm right now, yet we are staying pretty dry.

I'm sure it's not a coincidence that this part of town is avoided by these storms. There is probably something about the landscape (or HAARP ) that is preventing the storms from touching this part of town.

Last edited by Lightning_Hunter; 07-29-2014 at 06:27 PM..

Old 07-29-2014, 09:10 PM

50,783 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Hunter View Post
...The storm a few days ago (on Sunday) rolled over the mountains, passed the I-25 corridor, produced a lot of lighting just barely west of us, then came to a dead halt on our doorstep...
Clearly you're the problem!

Old 07-30-2014, 06:19 PM

The guys operating HAARP must have read my post, because we suddenly got rain all day today. However, it was more annoying to drive in than anything else, and there was no lightning or thunder to go with it. I want a good thunderstorm now (in case the guy at HAARP are reading this and answer my request ).

Old 03-05-2015, 12:15 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,268 times
Lightning Hunter, I read something today that made me think of you and this post, from Brian Bledsoe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bledsoe
I have also been discussing the severe thunderstorm season outlook with folks. I have been telling them that our severe storm season may be more active than usual this year due to our active late winter and spring. Putting moisture in the ground locally and decreasing the magnitude of drought regionally is a HUGE factor. If there is moisture in the soil (which has been a struggle for a few years to our south/southeast), we do not have to go all the way to the Gulf of Mexico to get decent moisture to fuel thunderstorms. We have moisture locally to breed and fuel storms, and this spells less complications to get storms going in the first place. We are not only putting moisture in the ground here in Colorado, but areas just to our south and southeast have been doing the same thing. Simply put, the increase in soil moisture locally and regionally, increases our chances for a more active than normal severe thunderstorm season.
Updated Spring Outlook & An Early Peek at Summer <--full link

So maybe we'll have more... sorta explains why we haven't had huge thunderstorms! I just hope we don't have the hail storm that hit downtown last May. One good thing was the number of freshly painted houses we have now...

Old 03-05-2015, 04:10 PM

432 posts, read 1,202,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
...One good thing was the number of freshly painted houses we have now...
And roofs. My house got a complete re-roof and re-guttering and re-painting. But, my, what a long hassle.

My church had $307,000 worth of damage and the repairs are not yet finished.

So, no, let's not do that again soon

Old 03-20-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
Lightning Hunter, I read something today that made me think of you and this post, from Brian Bledsoe:

Updated Spring Outlook & An Early Peek at Summer <--full link

So maybe we'll have more... sorta explains why we haven't had huge thunderstorms! I just hope we don't have the hail storm that hit downtown last May. One good thing was the number of freshly painted houses we have now...

Ah, just noticed your post (I haven't checked this thread in a while). Interesting article. I certainly would be pleased if we had an active thunderstorm season! I have noticed there are two types of storms that hammer Colorado Springs - the almost stationary cell that develops right over our heads, and the extremely fast moving (30-50mph) line of thunderstorms that rolls right over the mountains and toward us. The latter is short but severe, while the former can last for hours on end. All other types of storms usually move around us and/or dissipates before getting to us. Slow moving cells that come from North, West, or South often don't make it here. I'm sure the front range and Palmer Divide is responsible for this (or some type of weather experiment at the Air Force base ).

Old 03-20-2015, 08:03 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,515,063 times
The Navajo have names for the two types of rain you're describing. The slow, soaking rain is considered female rain, and the fast violent storms are considered male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs