Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:15 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,422 times

Advertisements

I agree that you see a wide range of driving styles in Colorado- it's the same thing up here in Denver, although I think that Denver drivers drive fairly fast for the most part.

I don't know why so many people think that fast drivers are rude. I have found the opposite to be true. There is nothing more rude than holding up a line of 20 cars behind you because you can't move to the right lane. If you have nowhere to be, are trying to save gas, don't know where you're going, or are otherwise too incompetent to push the gas pedal, PLEASE get into the slow lane and allow other drivers to get around you. Beleive it or not, it will actually make the roads safer.

It's so funny how people think that the drivers in southern California or the east coast are so horrible. Those drivers are very aggressive, but they are also efficient. I was amazed with how skilled southern California drivers were when I drove out there. When the traffic is not jammed up, traffic flows at about 85 to 90 mph right through the middle of the city. People instinctively moved out of the way of faster traffic. I saw the same thing wile driving out on the east coast- very fast drivers, but very good, skilled drivers. Beleive me: if you do something stupid on the road out east, you'll have about 2 or 3 drivers honk at you to let you know it. It's like everyone is keeping everyone else on the road accountable for their behavior- I wish that more people in Colorado would catch on to this concept. I really enjoyed driving in those places because I didn't feel that I was driving in an obstacle course trying to get around slow drivers.

Perhaps it is just more in tune with my personal driving style, but I would much rather be on the road with a bunch of speeding, aggressive drivers who know what they are doing than a bunch of slow, incompetent, mindless Sunday drivers who hold up everyone else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 12:35 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,186,222 times
It seems pretty simple to me, but in case anyone is not aware of this:
Speed Limit 40 = Drive at 40 mph
Speed Limit 55 = Drive at 55 mph
Speed Limit 65 = Drive at 65 mph

Driving significantly faster or slower than that is ILLEGAL, and, by extension, rude. Also, you risk getting a ticket. Passing lanes are for passing slower drivers, not for speeding.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:46 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,378,962 times
That's what he just said.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:23 PM

52 posts, read 230,376 times
If you are going below the speed limit in the fast lane and refuse to move over so others can get by you are the a$$hole. There is nothing wrong with driving slow, but get out of the way and let others that have somewhere they need to be go by.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:55 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,186,222 times
Ryane: what just what who said?

Others:
I mentioned the slow Piaggios in Italy, which are really quite amusing for tourists, but probably a drag for locals. But on the other end of the spectrum, you have the Autostrata highways which have no official speed limit at all. Ironically, having no speed limit made things feel safer and more organized. It forces most drivers to cling to the right lane for dear life and leaves the left lane open for passing. You have to be mighty quick about it, though.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:15 PM

sounds like my kind of highway

Old 08-05-2008, 06:38 PM

268 posts, read 1,130,279 times
I just wish cops would ticket the guys who are driving slow and rude as well as the ones who are speeding.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:52 PM

118 posts, read 445,073 times
I have a question seriously I also noticed yes people here drive WAY TO SLOW ...but what is with the on ramp things to get on powers its like they are just a straight lane and then all the sudden the main road they dont taper into the road like normal places have on ramps from side streets. people have to actually sit on the freakin street no wonder there are so many accidents. the streets here are stupid

Old 08-05-2008, 07:01 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal View Post
I just wish cops would ticket the guys who are driving slow and rude as well as the ones who are speeding.
I wish they would get the ones who are constantly running red lights. I mean, you see it in a lot of cities, but I have never seen it as bad as it is here.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:42 AM

People probably wouldn't have to run red lights if they were timed a little better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs