Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 09:45 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,692,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
There are 40,000 earthquakes a year in the USA, all over the USA, so I bet not.

Clearly people do not understand fracking either. They are not detonating nuclear bombs under the ground.
And clearly, you have a monetary stake in this, as you've already established. Money makes people forgot about what they are actually doing to the earth. We clearly don't see eye to eye on this issue, but I choose to believe my geologist friends (one of which has a masters, and the other a doctorate) when they say that earthquakes are highly likely when we inject the earth with anything, regardless if it's "harmless" or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 07:22 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
And clearly, you have a monetary stake in this, as you've already established. Money makes people forgot about what they are actually doing to the earth. We clearly don't see eye to eye on this issue, but I choose to believe my geologist friends (one of which has a masters, and the other a doctorate) when they say that earthquakes are highly likely when we inject the earth with anything, regardless if it's "harmless" or not.
Oh so because we might create economic activity with natural gas drilling, we are suddenly blinded by money and want dirty air and water and now earthquakes and we are now completely irrational? Time to get off that old saw.

Fact is I have spent tons of my personal time researching online, communicating with locals online and in person and asking questions of the local companies involved, as well as going to public meetings. I spent a lot of my own time to learn about all this, because it is all around me and I want to know what is going on. And in my research I found it's not nuclear armageddon or any of the weird and creepy scenarios crafted by lefty city slickers who have no idea how anything is actually made in this world. They only know consumption.

Actually I don't have a financial stake in this, so I don't know where you got that from. I don't currently own land with a lease nor have a job in the industry or anywhere in the area locality where I live where I could economically benefit. My parents own land with a lease which expires soon, but there is no activity planned for their land and I wouldn't get any money of significance from it if it did.

What I do care about is the land here locally, because this is where I live and if I was concerned, I'd leave as my job allows me to live wherever.

The money issue at the end of the day, is important, because we need a functioning economy with cheaper energy and I'd rather produce gas here than buy it from Qatar or Argentina or Mexico. The only way to improve technology and knowledge is to live in times of economic prosperity. Going back to obama's USSR utopian statist policies of malaise and stone ages doesn't produce prosperity and technological development. I'm glad there are jobs here for locals and that people here have had a boost in tough times.

Notice that lefties are more than happy to sink billions of taxpayer dollars into sketchy companies like Solyndra that create and produce nothing at all, but if you do produce something of value like natural gas, that's bad and we can't have that.

As I said there are 40000 earthquakes a year in the USA. They have always gone on, but the environMENTALists have somehow channeled and discovered them into suddenly being fracking related, even when they are a thousand miles away from each other. It's the same thing they do with global warming.

I call it the Area 51 syndrome. Because no one can see everything at Area 51 and know exactly what is going on there, and hence be able to prove it conclusively, it becomes a pegboard for whatever weird and wonderful fantasy they want to concoct. 40000 earthquakes go on every year in the USA, so people who like to panic seize on it and go OMG that 2.8 earthquake in Ohio was because of fracking! OMG! Run!! It's Fracking! Stop the Craziness! An Earthquake!! It's NEVER happened before!

Total nonsense from my perspective.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:59 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,988,622 times
Wink Troubling bedtime stories

"I'm simply amazed that we are using our most precious natural resource, (water) to mine for something far less valuable…"[2]
— Phil Doe

The current legal setback of fracking operations in Colorado from residential areas is 350 feet. In rural areas, only 150 feet. In either event it may be academic, as far too close.

The University of Colorado at Denver School of Public Health determined, after a three-year study, that air within one-half mile of fracking operations contained five times the level of some pollutants considered safe by the EPA. Included would be trimethylbenzenes, with chronic exposure causing such as anxiety, tension, anemia, blood clotting, etc.; xylenes, causing such as liver and kidney damage; or also alliaphatic hydrocarbons, not at all helping heart, liver, lungs, and nervous system.

If the current maximum setback required is 350 feet from hospital, children's school, and your home—one-half mile is 2,640 feet.[1]

There are now very roughly 45,000 fracking wells in Colorado. That figure could more than double. According to 2011 data, Weld County had by far the most fracking activity, with 17,388 active wells. Garfield County a distant second, at 8,928. The top six counties had 86% of active wells; the 36 other counties having a total of 6,731. It is illustrative to consider some of the maps of this reference, as Weld County in particular, but the entire Front Range and better part of northeast Colorado littered with these wells.[2] Moreover, there will be heavy concentrations of fracking in smaller pockets scattered all about the state. While high mountain areas generally avoid this, areas within, such as North and South Park do not; there is even some of this in the center of San Juan County.

One might find it interesting to know that the Energy Policy Act of 2005 conveniently exempted fracking from the Safe Drinking Water Act and the Clean Water Act.[2]

Consider reference two as a picture book on this subject. Only one perhaps best not shared with the children at bedtime, unless wishing to horrify them.

1) 'Fracking: no room to breathe,' Colorado Springs Independent
Fracking: no room to breathe | Regional View | Colorado Springs Independent

2) 'Fracking in Colorado - City of Colorado Springs'
http://www.springsgov.com/units/boar...20%20Davis.pdf

Old 10-20-2012, 09:21 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,692,057 times
Quote:
Oh so because we might create economic activity with natural gas drilling, we are suddenly blinded by money and want dirty air and water and now earthquakes and we are now completely irrational? Time to get off that old saw.

Fact is I have spent tons of my personal time researching online, communicating with locals online and in person and asking questions of the local companies involved, as well as going to public meetings. I spent a lot of my own time to learn about all this, because it is all around me and I want to know what is going on. And in my research I found it's not nuclear armageddon or any of the weird and creepy scenarios crafted by lefty city slickers who have no idea how anything is actually made in this world. They only know consumption.

Actually I don't have a financial stake in this, so I don't know where you got that from. I don't currently own land with a lease nor have a job in the industry or anywhere in the area locality where I live where I could economically benefit. My parents own land with a lease which expires soon, but there is no activity planned for their land and I wouldn't get any money of significance from it if it did.

What I do care about is the land here locally, because this is where I live and if I was concerned, I'd leave as my job allows me to live wherever.

The money issue at the end of the day, is important, because we need a functioning economy with cheaper energy and I'd rather produce gas here than buy it from Qatar or Argentina or Mexico. The only way to improve technology and knowledge is to live in times of economic prosperity. Going back to obama's USSR utopian statist policies of malaise and stone ages doesn't produce prosperity and technological development. I'm glad there are jobs here for locals and that people here have had a boost in tough times.

Notice that lefties are more than happy to sink billions of taxpayer dollars into sketchy companies like Solyndra that create and produce nothing at all, but if you do produce something of value like natural gas, that's bad and we can't have that.

As I said there are 40000 earthquakes a year in the USA. They have always gone on, but the environMENTALists have somehow channeled and discovered them into suddenly being fracking related, even when they are a thousand miles away from each other. It's the same thing they do with global warming.

I call it the Area 51 syndrome. Because no one can see everything at Area 51 and know exactly what is going on there, and hence be able to prove it conclusively, it becomes a pegboard for whatever weird and wonderful fantasy they want to concoct. 40000 earthquakes go on every year in the USA, so people who like to panic seize on it and go OMG that 2.8 earthquake in Ohio was because of fracking! OMG! Run!! It's Fracking! Stop the Craziness! An Earthquake!! It's NEVER happened before!

Total nonsense from my perspective.
Well, I interpreted your post in the other thread about your family owning gas wells for 100 years as a monetary stake. So, that's where I got that from. My mistake.

However, I have to say, you continue to make assumptions about me as well. From this post, it appears you think I'm some city slicker who has never understood rural areas and jumps on an environmental movement because others have told me to do so. How far from the truth you really are! In fact, I hold a Bachelor's degree in Forestry, worked for the USFS as a timber "beast" for almost 5 years, lived in several rural Colorado towns, and support using our natural resources in a responsible way. I just don't see fracking as responsible, considering the companies do not disclose the ingredients they use, nor are they regulated in the way they should be. We just don't know the long term effects of what they are doing.

However, this is an argument that you clearly want to "win." It's going nowhere, so I'm done. You can egg on another poor sap. The "environMENTALists" as you so eloquently state, are not the mental ones here.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:17 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Well, I interpreted your post in the other thread about your family owning gas wells for 100 years as a monetary stake. So, that's where I got that from. My mistake.

However, I have to say, you continue to make assumptions about me as well. From this post, it appears you think I'm some city slicker who has never understood rural areas and jumps on an environmental movement because others have told me to do so. How far from the truth you really are! In fact, I hold a Bachelor's degree in Forestry, worked for the USFS as a timber "beast" for almost 5 years, lived in several rural Colorado towns, and support using our natural resources in a responsible way. I just don't see fracking as responsible, considering the companies do not disclose the ingredients they use, nor are they regulated in the way they should be. We just don't know the long term effects of what they are doing.

However, this is an argument that you clearly want to "win." It's going nowhere, so I'm done. You can egg on another poor sap. The "environMENTALists" as you so eloquently state, are not the mental ones here.
It's not about me winning, it's about using some common sense and basic science. I think it's mental when people attribute every pipsqueak and fart to global warming and fracking.

My family has owned plenty of oil, gas and mining interests going back generations but my grandparents on both sides made sure they blew all that on cannabis, hookers, gambling and drink. It's questionable I would ever see anything from that. My parents, who have a brain their parents did not have, have wisely invested with their own money, but they could live for another 40 years, so I don't exactly sit around waiting for what they have to get passed to me.

Fracking has been done for 60 years, so far no one has ended up with orange hair or 3 eyes because it.

I'm all for clean water and land, but some of this has to be sensible. As long as it's done in a clean way, we need energy and that's that.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:56 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times
wanneroo wrote: Fracking has been done for 60 years, so far no one has ended up with orange hair or 3 eyes because it.

Yeah, but what about all the purple haired, 5 eyed creatures!

Old 10-21-2012, 02:20 AM

21 posts, read 38,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
"Really no one has jurisdiction but the state agency that oversees oil and gas operations . . . It's pretty frustrating to be dependent on on the industry that that creates the polluting effect to tell you the extent of pollution, and and to have a regulatory body that they either deny what happened, or they ignore you."
- Linda Bracken (sp?) [1]

This segment of the PBS 'News Hour' deals with the methods and surrounding controversy of fracking in general, and specifically with these issues in Colorado and Garfield County. Among other things, it will be seen that this industry more or less controls the rules it operates under.

This segment begins about the 29 minute mark on the Wednesday, June 15, 2011 broadcast. See also possible chapter selection within the online broadcast.

1) 'Fracking' Raise Questions, PBS News Hour
Wednesday, June 15, 2011 | PBS NewsHour | PBS Video

In the 2010 election I worked on a Garfield County Commissioner race where fracking was a main issue. I talked to a lot of western slope voters, and it seems that the majority are in favor of the economic opportunities that fracking brings to the area. They're aware of the hazards, but they're also bitter on environmentalist types driving away industry. County residents who worked for the natural gas industry were extremely loyal to their employers. The result of that campaign was that the voters ultimately booted the anti-fracking candidate.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-21-2012 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Changes made per the poster.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:16 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
The earthquake centered in Maine is completely within the normal geologic range of activity for that area.
In 1979, right after Three Mile Island happened, I was living on Westport Island, Maine, where Maine Yankee was operarting (then Maine's only reactor). Maine Yankee was closed because it supposedly couldn't withstand a small earthquake. All the locals poo-poohed the environmenalists who had supposedly been shaken up by TMI.
One night I heard a bang, like thunder, only from the ground. I thought the house owner had come home drunk and hit the house. Turns out it was a 3.8 centered right there, a mile away from Maine Yankee.
Also turns out that the evacuation plan for the island (causeway) was to drive past Maine Yankee really fast, get to the main highway, go north or south, depending on the wind direction.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:28 AM

632 posts, read 1,518,145 times
Quote:
Fracking has been done for 60 years, so far no one has ended up with orange hair or 3 eyes because it.
I'm all for clean water and land, but some of this has to be sensible. As long as it's done in a clean way, we need energy and that's that.
I know you may find this all very funny because it's not in YOUR back yard, but people in Western Wyoming who live in a community harmed by fracking chemicals have a MUCH higher incidence of cancers....we'll probably discover a connection in like 50 years after everyone affected is dead. One of them is a friend of mine. About 25 of his immediate and extended family lives near fracking activity. 9 of them have developed cancer in the last 5 years (36% rate, higher than average), 6 of them under the age of 40.

Erin Brockovich, where are you when we need you?

Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,371,820 times
"There are now very roughly 45,000 fracking wells in Colorado"......

Great, that means that roughly 315,000,000,000 gallons of precious water that have been used in the development of those wells. In a state where every drop of water is accounted for, where is this water coming from, at what expense ?

These "constituents" (or ingredients) are added to the fracking fluids used in each well bore, many are listed as hazardous:

Fracking fluid ingredients

Looks like a recipe for disaster to me.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado