Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 03:07 AM

168 posts, read 381,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post

But when I see a busy restaurant place closed (and a historic landmark of a business, too), padlocked by the sheriff, and placed up for a tax auction due to unpaid taxes ... that's pretty indicative of a cash flow/profitability problem. Especially in a place that's been in a family for awhile and they've owned the property for years.
Ok, well, since you want to talk about one specific place (which I'm not familiar with) I googled it....This came up as to the length and care of the first owners Jefferson County, Colorado - Place Names Directory and reading this next link (comments section) makes me think that the newer owners (as of last year?) were in over their heads almost immediately Hart's Corner Bar & Rest - Lakewood | Urbanspoon

That's presumption, pieced together off the internet.....I also couldn't find a menu for the newer/most recent one, so I'd have to also point out the cardinal rule of restauranting: If you have a place that's successful and you go and mess with either the menu or how the food is prepared you are courting disaster (to happen in relatively a short amount of time).....And if someone has never owned a restaurant prior, and has no business education of any kind, that is another potential way to kill it off....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 08:34 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirll View Post
(snip)
And if someone has never owned a restaurant prior, and has no business education of any kind, that is another potential way to kill it off....
I've been watching the Roller Auctions through the years (mostly for industrial equipment), and it does seem like there's been a substantial number of closed restaurant auctions in this year. While I did mention Hart's Corner ... there's been some weeks in the last few months with more than one on-line restaurant auction. And it's not just in the Denver area ... we've attended several in person in the last year throughout the region.

Your comment above is very apt re the OP and their intent to open a place in a resort area ....

Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 AM

70 posts, read 178,582 times
Investing and trying to put up something and start it with the family is fine by me. However, best to stick on to something with more meaning to you as well. This helps the ones who are doing the labor to keep them motivated and go on.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:01 PM

5 posts, read 6,073 times
Thank you everybody for being honest with me about this, I really appreciate it. And naturegirl I know what you are talking about, and that is the last thing I would do. A very nice restaurant near the resort where I usually ski changed chefs about a year ago and he changed lots of stuff and it went from being great to just ok. I mean he could have changed it for financial reasons, but the place isn't nearly as packed as it used to be.

But I will be taking the advice of many in working in a resort setting prior to opening something up (if it even comes to that, I may turn out to really enjoy working in an established setting). I also didn't realize how expensive property alone is, and I definitely don't have family money to help haha.

I just really love cooking and making people truly enjoy the experience, and all I want is to share that love in a setting which is very dear to me. I know it is going to be a challenge, but thank you for showing me just how hard it will be so I have a sense of what I am walking into.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:42 AM

168 posts, read 381,482 times
In the meantime, maybe keep an eye on property (as the Hart example suggests) if you can get a deal on it in the next few years you'll eliminate one section of the massive money problems....Another thing to watch is food prices are gonna go absolutely nuts and that could cause problems too....

In CA many restaurants produce their own food; make their own noodles as well as garden (some even raise their own meats)....some of that won't be an option up in the resort areas of CO.....

Whatever you do, don't give up until you've looked into every option that comes along, & then still don't give up....while you're being patient and keeping your eyes open, you'll still be learning.......

Last edited by naturegirll; 02-15-2011 at 04:04 AM..

Old 02-15-2011, 10:31 AM

229 posts, read 750,862 times
Hey dude,

Have you thought of culinary school with apprenticeships in one of the resort towns? Something like this?
Keystone Program - Colorado Mountain College

Sounds like you can get some culinary education and experience under your belt and still be able to enjoy some of the outdoor activities you want.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:47 AM

5 posts, read 6,073 times
You may have just become my new best friend.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
I would like to say to the OP and use that old saying of "not putting the cart before the horse..." but you do not even have the cart or the horse. "I love to cook..." bla, bla, bla...I heard this type of empty ambition and logic about cooking, opening a restaurants, my specialty food etc. etc. for so many years from so many people. "I am going to cooking school and I am going to be a Chef...", well, at least that is the beginning of a horse but think about these ideas:

You like to cook...and you have certain items you do best...but you will need to do those items, over and over again, night after night. You will get sick and tired of your most favorite dish. You will be forced to train your employees to do it the same way, everyday and they will constantly stray from instructions. Consistency is important, for people come back to eat items they have enjoyed. "Oh, I am creative, I am going to change the whole menu, everyday and I am going to cook everything."---yea, a supply and a training nightmare.

You will spend much of your time, prodding people to work, that is, if you can get them to show up for their shift. The industry is filled with bad people, bad attitudes, drug and alcohol problems--even more so at ski resort locations.

You will work long, long hours and your spirit will be drained by constant attention to small details of your restaurant. For these small problems are there everyday and must be fixed, for they will affect your business.

You are looking too far ahead to plan and know anything about this industry. Get some real hard core industry experience, even before you go to cooking school--then you will get some idea if you are going to waste a great deal of money and time. Also, put your dream about opening an Italian restaurant in a ski resort (how many times have I heard that desire with people coming here) because that is my "roots" and "love to cook Italian food" (nothing to do with nothing) on the back burner--far on the back burner, until you have more experience and knowledge. After you graduate, then work in a ski resort and you will see more and know more--that is if you do not even burn out before graduation; and think about another way to be fulfilled-whatever that means. What is even more disgusting is the "rah, rah" crowd who pushes you on--because they watch the "Food Network" where the shows and preparation have very little to do with real cooking---oh, I take that back--that loud arrogant British guy who screams is actually more of reality...

Livecontent

Oh, I did graduate from The Culinary Institute of America, in Hyde Park, NY--many decades ago, for whatever that experience and subsequent years of hard labor is worth. If I made you mad and hurt your pride---well, that is good!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-15-2011 at 09:18 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 09:20 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Anyone considering the life of a chef should read Anthony Bourdain's "Kitchen Confidential" to get a taste of what goes on in the back. It can be a fine career, but there are a lot of dues to be paid. I've read the book, it's amazing.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-16-2011 at 10:43 AM..

Old 02-15-2011, 09:50 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
How come nobody on here ever asks about moving there and opening a gas station or plumbing supply store?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado