Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:26 PM
R2F R2F started this thread

26 posts, read 85,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
You can't put your car on the semi, so you'd need to do that separately. I would figure roughly $1200-2000, possibly more, for moving a car in this day and age. Keep in mind if you go furniture shopping when you get here it doesn't usually arrive the day you pick it out. So it may be wise to bring minimal furniture, like a bed..

Personally I would just drive the car to Colorado with some of your most important possessions like birth certificates, bank paperwork, etc.

Thefts can and do occur with moving trucks.
Good advice. We will be getting newer, smaller bedroom furniture before we move (current furniture is massive and older) and will plan to bring that with us. It will be our furniture in the rental and eventually guest furniture once we get a house. I do not think we will bring our mattress though so we may need to coordinate with a company there. I believe most of the mattress specialty stores have same day delivery these days. If not, we will figure it out.

I've thought about driving and keep going back and forth, but I'm just not sure it's worth it. The gas and wear/tear will be brutal, plus we have 2 large dogs. I think any sensitive docs or expensive jewelry will fly in my carry-on. I also need to transport quite a few firearms so I'll plan to check those instead of leaving it to the movers.

One thing I forgot to ask... for those that traveled from extreme distances, how long did it take for your stuff to arrive? And were you able to purchase additional insurance for the trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 12:29 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
You can't put your car on the semi, so you'd need to do that separately. I would figure roughly $1200-2000, possibly more, for moving a car in this day and age. Keep in mind if you go furniture shopping when you get here it doesn't usually arrive the day you pick it out. So it may be wise to bring minimal furniture, like a bed..

Personally I would just drive the car to Colorado with some of your most important possessions like birth certificates, bank paperwork, etc.

Thefts can and do occur with moving trucks.
We drove our Grand Cherokee across and it held the important papers, computer and jewelry, all of which went with us into the hotel room each night we were on the road.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:59 PM

643 posts, read 2,386,005 times
There is not much wear and tear on a car when all its doing is cruising at 80 MPH for hours on end. Starting it up on a cold winter day to drive 2 miles to Starbucks and back is where you wear out the car.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:11 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
Long distance moves are priced on weight and what weighs the most is furniture. All the clothes and shoes you have dont match the weight of most couches or expensive mattresses. If you can get rid of all furniture it should not cost you an arm and a leg to move. I learned this the hard way in my move. If you really need the furniture go with a U-Haul.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:55 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
We hired movers when we moved from Dallas back to Denver last summer, and depending on where you are in FL that's anywhere from 1/2 to 1/3 of the distance your belongings will travel.

Our move cost us close to $8000. The actual move itself was around $6000, but unless you're clearing out your old house and immediately moving into a new one with no lag time in between, you also need to consider potential storage of your belongings. We sold our house there in July but didn't move into our new home here until late October. We had our stuff in storage for 4 months at a cost of about $450/mo.

You can save a crapload of money moving yourself. That being said, I personally wouldn't recommend doing it if you can't fit all your belongings into a 20 foot or smaller truck.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:52 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
The numbers below are estimates based on memory from my cross country ( Virginia Beach to Grand Junction ) move almost 6 years ago, so take it with a grain of salt. Ballpark numbers at best.

* 3 months storage in Virginia Beach.....$360
* fee to a friend who loaded up the moving truck.....$300
* fee to the moving truck.....$2700
* gasoline for 2 cars and scouting trip.....$500 ( gas was about $2.60 per gallon in the summer of '06 )
* hotels.....$1000
* plus car registration and other fees....$500 to $1000
* I took a $10,000 paycut annually ( 6yrs * 10,000 = $60,000 )
* my wife took a $12,000 paycut annually ( 6 yrs * 12,000 = $72,000 )
* bought a home just 18 months before the housing bubble burst.....loss of equity $70,000

Old 05-21-2012, 02:55 PM

284 posts, read 516,790 times
Just paid $2700 for a pod (800 Pack Rat) from Connecticut to Denver. Will probably spend about $300+ in gas on the trip out there. Plus another $300-400 for hotels and food.

Close to $4000 total.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoby23 View Post
Just paid $2700 for a pod (800 Pack Rat) from Connecticut to Denver. Will probably spend about $300+ in gas on the trip out there. Plus another $300-400 for hotels and food.

Close to $4000 total.
Thanks for posting about the pod. How was that experience? I've definitely thought about doing that. Any noticeable pros/cons?

Old 05-21-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
The numbers below are estimates based on memory from my cross country ( Virginia Beach to Grand Junction ) move almost 6 years ago, so take it with a grain of salt. Ballpark numbers at best.

* 3 months storage in Virginia Beach.....$360
* fee to a friend who loaded up the moving truck.....$300
* fee to the moving truck.....$2700
* gasoline for 2 cars and scouting trip.....$500 ( gas was about $2.60 per gallon in the summer of '06 )
* hotels.....$1000
* plus car registration and other fees....$500 to $1000
* I took a $10,000 paycut annually ( 6yrs * 10,000 = $60,000 )
* my wife took a $12,000 paycut annually ( 6 yrs * 12,000 = $72,000 )
* bought a home just 18 months before the housing bubble burst.....loss of equity $70,000
Not bad numbers until the income change and the housing bubble. Luckily my job is virtual so my pay will stay the same. Oddly enough my wife will make more there it seems (education system in FL is jacked). Sorry the bubble burst on you. We didn't get hit that bad, but are still digging out, thus the few years before we can make it out there.

I am interested to know though... was it worth it?

Old 05-21-2012, 03:18 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
R2F wrote:
Sorry the bubble burst on you. We didn't get hit that bad, but are still digging out, thus the few years before we can make it out there.

I am interested to know though... was it worth it?
We're still ahead of the game because we sold our Virginia home at the TOP of the bubble there. It tripled in value during the 15 years we paid mortgage on it, so we walked away with lots of equity. BUT, if I'd have been more tuned in to the inflating bubble, I would have rented and waited to buy and could have paid CASH for a similar house in Grand Junction at amuch lower purchase price. You can't win em all. Even Vince Lombardi and the Packers would lose a few games.

Even with the lower wages locally, I've noticed no decline in our standard of living because the cost of living is less costly here.

Was it worth it you ask? You bet it was. I'd do it again, but much sooner. The longer you wait, the older you will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado