Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,168 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a 24 year old graduate from Rutgers University 2011 with a B.A, in Sociology and minor in Psych. I lived in NJ my whole life, but after my mothers death in 2010, things started getting really depressing here. After college I went to Insurance School and was working at a small agency, but it was not for me. I got a job doing administrative work at a shoe manufacturing company in NY and am now living in williamsburg. I love the area for I am an artist myself, but it is very expensive and I do not really think I am cut out to be a true New Yorker -- plus it is SO expensive and I feel like I'm spending money on things that I do not actually enjoy. I am very hardworking, but laid back in nature. I love to snowboard, hike and paint. I need sun and to enjoy the outdoors. I have been to CO twice and absolutely love it-- my cousin lives in Boulder. My idea is that if you live in a place that is just so beautiful you can never really get too depressed.

My question -- is it a smart idea to move out there now? Where is the best place to live for someone my age? How are the job opportunities given my college major/ work experience? Should I move first and look for a job or vice versa?

I know I can excel in the right area. I am pretty much on my own...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 11:04 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Sensible routes

1. If you have $10K saved up. And don't own a large or banned breed dog. Just move here and find a job.

2. There are no shoe manufacturing companies in greater Denver that I know about, but I could be wrong.

3. If you have no money saved up, then save some. More than some.

4. Start hunting for jobs remotely. It will be very difficult as almost no business want to pay for:
interview travel
relo expenses

5. There are places in the USA besides greater NYC and Denver, CO. Many wonderful places.

6. Colorado has the 8th highest suicide rate in the USA AFSP: Facts and Figures: State Statistics

Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Your young with nothing holding you back. Why not move here, stay with your cousin, and look for a job? I don't know what one does with your major so can't help with what types of jobs would be available.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:05 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,136,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
. . .
2. There are no shoe manufacturing companies in greater Denver that I know about, but I could be wrong.
. . .
Would Crocs be considerd a shoe manufacturing company?

Old 01-17-2013, 06:32 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Would Crocs be considered a shoe manufacturing company?
HQ is in Niwot.
Manufacturing is worldwide.
Wherever labor is cheap. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/business/20suits.html

Old 01-17-2013, 06:59 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
LOve2Live wrote: My idea is that if you live in a place that is just so beautiful you can never really get too depressed.

Depression has little to do with WHERE you live, and alot to do with your thoughts ABOUT where you are living. Your move to Colorado will be alot more pleasant if you straighten out your thinking and handle your depression BEFORE you move. As the old saying goes: Wherever you go, there you are! A change of scenery might temporarily lift your mood, but unless the underlying depression has been dealt with, it will rear its ugly head again when you least expect it.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 01-17-2013 at 07:20 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 PM

16 posts, read 60,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve2Live View Post
Hello! I am a 24 year old graduate from Rutgers University 2011 with a B.A, in Sociology and minor in Psych. I lived in NJ my whole life, but after my mothers death in 2010, things started getting really depressing here. After college I went to Insurance School and was working at a small agency, but it was not for me. I got a job doing administrative work at a shoe manufacturing company in NY and am now living in williamsburg. I love the area for I am an artist myself, but it is very expensive and I do not really think I am cut out to be a true New Yorker -- plus it is SO expensive and I feel like I'm spending money on things that I do not actually enjoy. I am very hardworking, but laid back in nature. I love to snowboard, hike and paint. I need sun and to enjoy the outdoors. I have been to CO twice and absolutely love it-- my cousin lives in Boulder. My idea is that if you live in a place that is just so beautiful you can never really get too depressed.

My question -- is it a smart idea to move out there now? Where is the best place to live for someone my age? How are the job opportunities given my college major/ work experience? Should I move first and look for a job or vice versa?

I know I can excel in the right area. I am pretty much on my own...

IF you can afford it, follow your dreams. Your happiness cannot be judged in dollars.........It took me 48 years to realize that

Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Why not move? You are young and not tied down by a relationship, kids or animals (apparently). You have lived in one place all your life and are wondering what else is out there.

Given your college major, I have no idea what kind of job you would get -- social work, maybe? However, since you have been doing administrative work then you could look for that kind of job until you figure out what you want to do. Just because you work at a shoe manufacturing company now doesn't mean that you couldn't work in some other kind of company. That's pretty wide open.

I agree with mic111 -- see if you could stay with your cousin for a while until you get settled. Given your work experience and the kind of job that I would imagine that you are seeking, I don't think that you would get hired without being in the state.

When I was your age I packed up the VW bug and moved from Washington DC to Colorado. I knew one person in the whole state and had no idea where I was going to live or what kind of work I would do. Ended up living there for over thirty years.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:41 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,930 times
B.A, in Sociology and minor in Psych, experience doing admin work?

Sure, you can definitely move here, but let me give you some advice:

Learn how to mix a cocktail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado