Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,455,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Or you can move to the "Switzerland of Colorado" - Ouray.
I think that would be Aspen.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I think that would be Aspen.
Wrong:

Ouray Colorado - Come Visit

Ouray bills itself as the "Switzerland of America" because of its setting at the narrow head of a valley, enclosed on three and a half sides by steep mountains.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:22 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,455,268 times
Quote:
Wrong:

Ouray Colorado - Come Visit

Ouray bills itself as the "Switzerland of America" because of its setting at the narrow head of a valley, enclosed on three and a half sides by steep mountains.
I have to respectively disagree with you. Ouray is not by any ski area, does not have any 4 diamond restaurants or nice shopping. Its a nice town and has a lot to be proud of and I know they claim to be the Switzerland of the United States but personally I would classify Aspen more as its like the ski town I have been to in Switzerland much more then Ouray.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:54 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I've had Colorado friends go on ski trips to Switzerland for decades now and comment that the scenery was fabulous ... but if you wanted to ski, Colorado's skiing was far better.
Based on what? Quality of snow? Because in terms of terrain--no way... Ski areas in Switzerland make even places like Vail or Snowmass look tiny, there's no real comparison in Colorado for the size and extent of above treeline alpine terrain in Switzerland--where you can literally ski on a glacier below the Matterhorn and end up in Italy for lunch.

Colorado has plenty of fine ski areas, but the Alps is a world away in terms of size and terrain from almost anywhere in North America. Even places like Whister-Blackcomb would be considered a mid-size resort in Switzerland or Austria or the French Alps...

Old 03-29-2013, 02:58 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,922 times
Wink Nor Switzerland in snow, either

Many could argue the quality of their mountains, but as far as I know Ouray is the only town in Colorado with a sign proclaiming it "The Switzerland of America." A quite prominent one, too. It is located next US 550 at a pullout where one might park off the road, just south of town as one winds up the switchbacks, and at an elevation to provide a good panoramic view over the town. A sign most likely seen if heading north, down into Ouray.

Some chamber of commerce group probably thought that up, but in a way fitting. As far as I can tell, anyone with a familiarity with Switzerland might not see the similarity: the mountains are rather different in appearance. Yet undeniable that Ouray resides in a most picturesque and quite mountainous location, basically surrounded on all sides by high peaks.

Nearby—as the crow flies—Telluride is the one with the skiing. Colorado and Utah are justly renowned for the quality of their snow for skiing: being light and fluffy, or that with a new snow providing good deep powder. Switzerland, and the Alps in general from what I hear, tend to have snow of a higher moisture content, and seemingly in conditions often somewhat icy. That can be experienced with the skiing in the Sierra Nevada as well (think Tahoe), where the large amount of snow is customarily fairly wet and heavy. Decent powder is relatively rare, and must be found directly after just the right storm. If icy at times—and if one makes the mistake of skiing too early in the morning—due the warmer temperatures and all the sun, the snow is more often what could be termed packed powder (on groomed runs). Euphemistically there, and on a soggier note than that common in Colorado.

One can become accustomed to and even prefer such conditions. It is possible to comfortably ski in no more than a T-shirt at A-Basin in the spring. But far more likely one can get away with that more so throughout the winter at times in the Sierra Nevada. If able to veritably dance through the powder in Colorado, the same depth further west might at times be better termed "train track" snow—as one is likely following a straight line through it, unless adept and muscular enough to actually manage a turn now and then.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:28 PM

22 posts, read 50,578 times
Quote:
Or you can move to the "Switzerland of Colorado" - Ouray.
Yes I have heard that about Ouray being the Switzerland of America but I also read that it gets dark there very early and in general just way too many hours in darkness due to surrounding mountains.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:33 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,466,506 times
First, I will admit that I have not been to Switzerland, though it is one area of Europe that I would like to visit sometime. One thing that one does have to take into account when comparing Colorado with Switzerland is that Switzerland would easily fit within 3 of the largest of Colorado's 64 counties. Switzerland is about 10% the land area of Colorado.

A longtime family friend was fortunate enough to be able to work in Switzerland for a number of years. Curious, I asked him about his thoughts about Switzerland compared to his native Colorado. He said that, acre for acre, Switzerland had far more spectacular scenery than most areas of Colorado, Colorado's San Juans really being the only area of the state giving Switzerland a run for the money. He loved Switzerland's walkable cities and relative lack of sprawl, along with Switzerland's excellent and extensive passenger rail system (he never owned a car in Switzerland).

His biggest complaint was about the cost of living in Switzerland. It was (is) very high for most foreigners--even for him, and he made a very handsome income working there, well into 6 figures per year. He first went there when it was relatively easy to gain citizenship in Switzerland if one was working there. From what he said, that is now much more difficult. Switzerland, unlike Colorado, has figured out that it is quite possible, even preferable, to have a very healthy economy and high living standards with a relatively stable population. The Swiss are quite happy to cater to tourists, but really don't want much of anybody moving into their country. That is a very intelligent strategy on their part (too bad that Colorado can't/won't emulate it).

My friend ultimately returned to the United States, but not to Colorado. Oh, and he doesn't even ski, either--preferring other sports to the yuppie/skiing vibe.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:21 PM

178 posts, read 604,808 times
I spent maybe 2 weeks in Switzerland and several months across the border along Lago di Como in Lombardy. Hold on while I wipe a tear from my eye. OK..I'm back. I believe there are 2 Italian Cantons in Switzerland and I would definitely live in Bellinzona or Lugano if I had the chance. In my mind the only place in Colorado that even comes close to the incredible beauty of Switzerland are the San Juans. If I won the lotto, and I don't play too often because the odds are ridiculous, I would live part of the year in Montrose and part in Lugano or Bellinzona. If you do research you will find that Lugano is a milder, almost mediterranean climate, but also next to the mountains and snow.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:57 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,187 times
To Answer your earlier question, Swiss hves a different currency than the Euro. Swiss Franc is still used. The Swiss manipulate their currency (the Central Bank Intervene) to maintain favorably for them exchange rates so their currency doesn't follow the volatility of the Euro... Most of the time it moves the opposite way as the Euro. (i.e. the Euro gets stronger and CHF gets weaker against the US Dollar) The only reason this is important to moving there, is so that you are aware of what a Swiss Dollar is worth compared to a US Dollar and how that exchange rate can make or break you.

I looked at moving abroad awhile ago - and the above statements about how expensive and difficult it is are on par with my findings. At least anywhere you would want to move too.

Why just Colorado or Swiss? Have you looked at other areas/states? I have visited Colorado several times and I don't really like the vibe I get... Scenery is AWESOME though. Plus, it seems that Colorado is having all kinds of problems at the moment. I did not get that feeling in Utah though. Even SLC - not that I would move into downtown SLC either.

BTW, I didn't know that individual states could limit US Citizens from moving to them. I must have missed that part of the US Constitution... Immigration from Foriegn countires is a whole 'nother ballgame as they say.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:17 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
I would bail on Denver so quick if I could afford Switzerland. Don't get me wrong I love Colorado but if you can make it in Switzerland you have made it. It's so nice it's just about impossible to immigrate there. One of the highest standards of living in the EU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado