Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 AM

599 posts, read 953,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by contiempo View Post
Your arguments are poor, as is your attempt to change the subject. I have never worked or even met someone who worked in investment banking. But I will invest in a pension plan with 8% contribution for 30 years with a defined benefit at 100% of my salary for life. Why can't I "invest" in PERA?

Got passed over for that government job, didn't you?

Go **** and moan somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 09:28 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
pheteroi wrote: 1. The Department Of Education: Well, I'll give you that...to some extent. But I will also tell you that as I have traveled in the third world, educators would ask me to explain our national education program, and when I told them there was none, that it was mostly left up to the individual states and local communities, their mouths would sometimes literally drop open.

2. My former secretary, like you, complained constantly about Social Security. But when she turned 65 she was more than happy to accept the benefits...as was her husband who retired early for medical reasons. You're all hypocrites on that issue.

3. I've been hearing the SS and Medicare are going bankrupt for most of my adult life. Funny, it hasn't happened.

4. I have some concerns about food stamps. But all the people on food stamps are not lazy. And I doubt they're any fatter than the average person at the last Republican convention.

5. To be honest with you, I don't believe your health insurance has gone up as much as you say, nor will go up as much as you predict. Mine haven't increased any larger percentage since Obamacare began than they did any other year in the past several years.

6. For a country that is in a great depression, we're living kinda high on the hog.

7. I'm a Democrat. I don't know any hippies, nor anyone who has tried LSD.

8. Most of that federal regulation you ***** about occurred because of what big business did to the citizens of this country.

9. All the "first world nations" are broke. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration. So I guess you really do want us to be a "third world nation". Now that's patriotism! (In case you're to dull to get it...that's sarcassm).

Now, in regard to PERA, pension systems all around this country -- both public and private -- need some fixing. A pension is a contract with an employee, and contracts need to be honored. The pension system I'm in, as an educator, is making commitments to improve its status, but is not doing that badly. It is relatively healthy in terms of its investments, and the Republican governor had made a commitment to do the right thing. Our pensions make up for the shortchanged contracts we got. There were times teachers didn't get a raise in 3 or more years...and that didn't happen just once. Now I expect my state to fulfill the contract it made with me. There's a famous line in an old poem -- "a promise made is a debt unpaid". Governments and private corporations need to pay their debts to their pensioned employees. Anything less is unAmerican.

Well said. Nicely stated. The education system has served you well!

Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
.... The education system has served you well!
Me too. Those horrible nasty old public school teachers in Baltimore County, MD taught me how to read and write and think. They fixed my speech impediment. They showed me real science, not voodoo and fiction. They taught me how to use a keyboard too, and that was 20 years before the PC and interwebs. Who knew. The Army, a big believer in educating people and with its own entire set of schools and training facilities, taught me a lot and especially "critical thinking" skills. I'm now qualified to be your eminent moderator.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Dear eminent moderator....Thanks for your post above!

Old 08-19-2013, 06:07 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. The Department Of Education: Well, I'll give you that...to some extent. But I will also tell you that as I have traveled in the third world, educators would ask me to explain our national education program, and when I told them there was none, that it was mostly left up to the individual states and local communities, their mouths would sometimes literally drop open.

2. My former secretary, like you, complained constantly about Social Security. But when she turned 65 she was more than happy to accept the benefits...as was her husband who retired early for medical reasons. You're all hypocrites on that issue.

3. I've been hearing the SS and Medicare are going bankrupt for most of my adult life. Funny, it hasn't happened.

4. I have some concerns about food stamps. But all the people on food stamps are not lazy. And I doubt they're any fatter than the average person at the last Republican convention.

5. To be honest with you, I don't believe your health insurance has gone up as much as you say, nor will go up as much as you predict. Mine haven't increased any larger percentage since Obamacare began than they did any other year in the past several years.

6. For a country that is in a great depression, we're living kinda high on the hog.

7. I'm a Democrat. I don't know any hippies, nor anyone who has tried LSD.

8. Most of that federal regulation you ***** about occurred because of what big business did to the citizens of this country.

9. All the "first world nations" are broke. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration. So I guess you really do want us to be a "third world nation". Now that's patriotism! (In case you're to dull to get it...that's sarcassm).

Now, in regard to PERA, pension systems all around this country -- both public and private -- need some fixing. A pension is a contract with an employee, and contracts need to be honored. The pension system I'm in, as

an educator, is making commitments to improve its status, but is not doing that badly. It is relatively healthy in terms of its investments, and the Republican governor had made a commitment to do the right thing. Our pensions make up for the shortchanged contracts we got. There were times teachers didn't get a raise in 3 or more years...and that didn't happen just once. Now I expect my state to fulfill the contract it made with me. There's a famous line in an old poem -- "a promise made is a debt unpaid". Governments and private corporations need to pay their debts to their pensioned employees. Anything less is unAmerican.
A teacher AND a Democrat?! Say it isn't so...../sarcasm.

I have PERA, and at the end of the year, we're all losing it. Does it suck, sure, but I'll still be employed by SOMEONE, isn't that all you can ask for these days?

Old 08-19-2013, 08:07 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
I would opt out of SS tomorrow if I could. And here is a news flash, defined benefit pension plans in the private sector are gone. I have to save a quarter of my income to retire.

Just let me know when I can invest in PERA or an equivalent plan for private citizens. Make sure it is taxpayer guaranteed please.
Here's on thing that I think they should change about social security. Everyone contributes just as they do now. Upon your retirement you have the right to accept a lump sum of your contributions plus the interest those contributions would have earned in a bank over that period of time OR remain in the system and accept your monthly SS checks for the rest of their life.

Are you complaining about having to save a quarter of your income for retirement, and if so, why are you suggesting it for everyone?

Got news for ya buddy -- in most states with a state retirement plan, teachers are forced to contribute funds out of their pay toward retirement.

And, BTW, pensions in private industry are insured by the feds; not so for public pensions.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:46 PM

83 posts, read 150,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Got passed over for that government job, didn't you?

Go **** and moan somewhere else.
Nope, never applied for one. I have a standing offer though from a former colleague. I am seriously considering taking it because of PERA. I'll have less responsibility, but I will work far less hours with more time off. 5% pay cut.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Here's on thing that I think they should change about social security. Everyone contributes just as they do now. Upon your retirement you have the right to accept a lump sum of your contributions plus the interest those contributions would have earned in a bank over that period of time OR remain in the system and accept your monthly SS checks for the rest of their life.

Are you complaining about having to save a quarter of your income for retirement, and if so, why are you suggesting it for everyone?

Got news for ya buddy -- in most states with a state retirement plan, teachers are forced to contribute funds out of their pay toward retirement.

And, BTW, pensions in private industry are insured by the feds; not so for public pensions.
I know, I explained it earlier, 8-10%. I asked where I could sign up.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:02 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Nope, never applied for one. I have a standing offer though from a former colleague. I am seriously considering taking it because of PERA. I'll have less responsibility, but I will work far less hours with more time off. 5% pay cut.
Ok, I'm confused. You hate PERA but may take a job under it?

Old 08-19-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Ok, I'm confused. You hate PERA but may take a job under it?
Correct, I won't really earn or deserve it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado