Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 07:27 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times

Advertisements

Ah I see well you aren't the first with that dream. It will be difficult and challenging you have a long road ahead of you. As long as you stick to your goal and don't take government assistance I will welcome you into the state.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:27 PM

210 posts, read 305,338 times
Well maybe I shouldn't give up on my Self-Taught Zoology but point is my extended knowledge of animals has gotten me nowhere in life, not even a job at Petco, they want cashier experience instead.....

Old 09-07-2015, 07:28 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Let me be absolutely blunt. You have no skills. You have no decent work history for a 23-year-old adult. You've apparently squandered your first attempt at advanced education. You have a terrible attitude. I'm no "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" bloviator, but you have none of the qualities of people who actually succeed.

I have a relative who came out of a terrible situation and had multiple arrests under his belt by the time he was 19. But he adjusted his attitude and worked multiple crap jobs in construction and food service, and his diligence was rewarded when the construction managers saw how hard he worked and how much he applied himself. They sent him to trade school and he's an independent contractor these days who will likely be a millionaire by the time he's 40.

He's white, male and had no connections of note beyond the ones he could make himself. Shocking, I know. Of course, this was way back in the olden times 15 years ago, so maybe this no longer applies. (That's sarcasm.)

Let me guess. You think you're above working in a McDonald's. After all, you're above that "first come, first serve" nonsense at community colleges (which also raises the question of what you think would be a better system? Students selected by their inherent specialness?).

You're not special. You're a dime a dozen. We've already got a horde of you drifting around the state. So if you really want a different life, stay in MA, do the "hard yards," and get some credentials/references/skills while losing that crippling sense of entitlement.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Ah I see well you aren't the first with that dream. It will be difficult and challenging you have a long road ahead of you. As long as you stick to your goal and don't take government assistance I will welcome you into the state.
I can get government assistance and still pay taxes ya know.....

Old 09-07-2015, 07:30 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Have merged two threads into one thread.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:34 PM

Picking college classes does not go by inherant specialty but rather who needs the class to graduate the fastest. Also its true, I sound like a ******** but seriously though what I'm saying applies to real life as well. I have a crappy life here and I know that in Colorado or anywhere else for that matter, that can change.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:37 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
Waiting for a job? I thought there were programs there that helped you find employment? Also I aint acting like a victim I want to enjoy my life to the fullest but I can't here. I'm not listing any negative traits either I'm being honest. There's nothing wrong with being without a DL and a degree. I figured Colorado wouldn't pull this crap on me but if Cheyenne and Boise are better for me work wise and financially wise than I'll go there, but I still need help getting up on my own.
As one who routinely employs Labor Ready folk who live in the COMEA House (a low-cost charity shelter) or some of the flea-bag motels on Lincolnway in Cheyenne, and knows all too well the dire day-to-day circumstances of their survival here ...

I can assure you that if you think things are difficult in Boston for your circumstances, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Wyoming has far fewer public assistance resources than where you are now, and far, far less than Colorado.

Moving here with your skillset will have you standing in line with the rest of the workers hoping to draw a job ticket at Labor Ready each day, where if you're lucky and get along ... you might draw a ticket where you'll see 8 hours of minimum wage by the time LR takes all the payroll taxes out. With a $40/night motel on Lincolnway, you'll be sharing a flea-bag room with a couple of buddies to be able to get by on the $56 cash you get for the day ... if you draw 8 hours and get back to LR in time to cash out your job ticket for the day. COMEA has it's requirements to stay there and you've got to be able to get along there and be out each day to be allowed back in that night, plus they have a nominal subsidized fee structure and usually full occupancy going into each winter. If you don't get there in time for dinner service in the evening, you're out of luck and there's no restaurants close by their facilities; it's an industrial commercial area and miles to a truck stop cafe or a ways back to the nearest bar with food.

Getting around this area without a vehicle is incredibly difficult due to very little public transportation. Come wintertime, even walking from COMEA House to a place to buy groceries, even to a C-Store for their overpriced snack foods, will be difficult. This is a hard-core place to survive in a winter, and it can last for almost 6 months of the year. You need appropriate winter clothing and you'll not get work at Labor Ready if you're not reasonably clean and presentable each day. The manual labor marketplace here is quite saturated with folk here already, and come wintertime, the demand for workers falls off dramatically as construction trades help and outside work comes to a halt for the season.

I'm not gonna' tell you what to do, but I am gonna' tell you what you'll find here if you do come to Cheyenne. It's not an inexpensive place to be living here.

PS: as an employer in the Cheyenne area of manual laborers, the guys I'm gonna' ask LR to send out on my next job ticket are the ones that have a good attitude and work cheerfully as required to get the projects done. In all candor, the complainers, Labor Ready Engineers, and the drama queens that make my life difficult trying to get a project done are the ones that I tell LR to not ever send out to me again. I simply don't need the extra workload that managing such people to successful outcomes requires from me. I, too, have to make budget and performance requirements to be able to justify paying for my labor staffing. If I can't do that with a worker, I don't need them. IMO, what you say and how your attitude affects the workers around you is of paramount importance; ie, you can be a good hand at doing a task, but if you're disruptive to my other crew workers, I'll send you home ASAP. LR gives me the right to send an unsatisfactory (for any reason) worker home, and if you're on a jobsite miles away from home without transportation, it's not my problem. I've had more than one worker walk off a jobsite here that was 30 miles from Cheyenne and start walking home on the back county roads ... they've all made it, but were totally dependent upon the charity of other folk at the time.

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-07-2015 at 07:55 PM..

Old 09-07-2015, 07:41 PM

Well than where is a good place for public transportation and weed?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
Well than where is a good place for public transportation and weed?
And now we have what it really boils down to.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And now we have what it really boils down to.
Oh yeah can't forget the jobs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado