Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 12:58 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Black bears come across as shy, curious, and easy to scare but they can be dangerous. I was able to scare one off by yelling at it as it tried crawling through our kitchen window.
A bear was up on my deck a couple nights ago sniffing around my humming bird feeders. I turned on the deck lights and screamed at it through the screen door and it took off running like a scared stray cat.

Bears aren't too interested in getting to know you, but Mountain lions are a legitimate concern if you have kids and pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 04:46 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
A bear was up on my deck a couple nights ago sniffing around my humming bird feeders. I turned on the deck lights and screamed at it through the screen door and it took off running like a scared stray cat.

Bears aren't too interested in getting to know you, but Mountain lions are a legitimate concern if you have kids and pets.
I thought you was my neighbor until i read the elevation We're just above 6,000. Anyhow, We was over at our neighbors the other day and their back deck is covered with bird feeders. It's like a sheer straight down drop as well! Anyhow, they tell me they get bear cubs climbing up there all the time! I wanted to say the feeders attract them but they seemed okay with it.

Mountain Lions probably concerns me the most, you want know their there until their pouncing on you. There was an attack recently over in Aspen if i recall? A 5yr old was outside playing when a mountain lion attacked it. Thankfully the mother was able to fight it off and the child was relatively okay. So ya, keep an eye out on small kids and pets.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:38 PM

66 posts, read 101,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I thought you was my neighbor until i read the elevation We're just above 6,000. Anyhow, We was over at our neighbors the other day and their back deck is covered with bird feeders. It's like a sheer straight down drop as well! Anyhow, they tell me they get bear cubs climbing up there all the time! I wanted to say the feeders attract them but they seemed okay with it.

Mountain Lions probably concerns me the most, you want know their there until their pouncing on you. There was an attack recently over in Aspen if i recall? A 5yr old was outside playing when a mountain lion attacked it. Thankfully the mother was able to fight it off and the child was relatively okay. So ya, keep an eye out on small kids and pets.

Regarding the Aspen story--I was at a meeting in Grand Junction 2 nights ago with Parks & Wildlife and it was stated that the "Lion Attacks Kid" story was a wild exaggeration. It was more like the lion was laying around, the kid went chasing a ball or something and ended up running over the lion. Still not a good situation, but the Colorado Parks & Wildlife Northwest Regional Director (whom I have known for a good number of years, and trust completely what the guy says) was emphatic that the lion wasn't hunting the kid.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:05 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,636 times
Default Mountain Lions!

Just moved from Maine to Colorado, and WAS planning to do a lot of fly fishing here. But then I heard about mountain lions! Since I usually fish and backpack alone, I'm wondering if that's really a good idea? The biggest predator in Maine is the black bear and a simple growl will scare them away. However, mountain lions aren't hunted so could very well see us as a meal.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-25-2017, 11:12 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,940 times
They would rather eat deer.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:19 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Just moved from Maine to Colorado, and WAS planning to do a lot of fly fishing here. But then I heard about mountain lions! Since I usually fish and backpack alone, I'm wondering if that's really a good idea? The biggest predator in Maine is the black bear and a simple growl will scare them away. However, mountain lions aren't hunted so could very well see us as a meal.

Any thoughts?
Search the web for mountain lion on human attacks. They are very infrequent.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:10 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
I'm a frequent hiker and I often see bear trees - trees they scratch and rub to mark territory, etc., or ones they have climbed and left claw marks, but only have run into bears a few times. They were definitely more alarmed to see me than I was to see them. Mountain lion I haven't seen yet but have encountered tracks a couple times. Nearly all my hiking is within an hour of Colorado Springs and a fair amount much closer or basically in it.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:48 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post

Any thoughts?
Heading out into the Colorado back country alone for an extended trip is never a good idea, lions or not, but typically lions will not bother with adult humans.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:50 PM

231 posts, read 229,125 times
Is bear spray effective against a Mountain Lion?

Old 12-02-2017, 06:28 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Is mountain lion spray effective against a bear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado