Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 08:16 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,386,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
What do you think about Marijuana legalization?

I think it's some kind of sick joke that the federal government keeps it illegal when (almost) everybody knows it's less harmful than alcohol and tobacco.

I don't know that I'd agree its less harmful. We lack the long term research on this to prove that definitively. For some, it is a reasonable substitute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 08:42 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I don't know that I'd agree its less harmful. We lack the long term research on this to prove that definitively. For some, it is a reasonable substitute.
Being a product of 2 lifelong chain-smoking chronic alcoholic parents, I have a pretty good viewpoint from which to observe how those addictions affected their lives. My mother died at 62.

I am now 60 and have never used tobacco, but I have used cannabis daily for over 45 years. I have never even filed a medical insurance claim in my entire life (literally).

I have all the long term research I need to draw a conclusion.

Especially when I compare my life (it's actually a quite good one, you might be surprised) to my 71 year old brother's. He wasn't able to escape the alcohol demon that has run in my family's tree for generations. This is a word for word text I received just 2 days ago about his latest condition, from his step daughter. It is only the tip of the ice burg when it comes to how alcoholism has affected his life:

Quote:
Just so you both know, John didn't make it 24 hours in the new apartment without getting drunk. I made it clear to him, when he was sober, that I will not pay his bills, and I will not move him again until he moves to Sterling in July. I will go into the apartment before they lock him out and get my TV, my bed and his scooter. This time he will come out of rehab with Nothing. They can keep his clothes, my dishes, pots & pans, my recliner etc...I'm done. He has to hit his bottom. I will make the house payment on Sterling because the rent check covers it. He's literally going to have to be homeless to hit his bottom or in jail or a nursing home to stay sober. Otherwise, he will be dead in no time. I can't fix him and he doesn't want to fix himself. So sad.
I am SO BLESSED to have found a plant that has helped me to avoid the fate of my parents, grandparents, and brother. The criminal part of this story, to me, are all the folks who believe that I should be in prison for using a plant to help me pull myself up by the bootstraps and make something out of my life.

Last edited by Raddo; 08-06-2017 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: Added sad quote

Old 08-07-2017, 08:10 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,492 times
All the teachers on this board cry about not being paid much and how bad the schools are....well weed was suppose to help that, its not. 16th mall is an open air methlab, many areas are full of bums, Durango you now have to step over people on the main streets, you hear stories about ppl smoking in their back yards smelling up the neighbor....but were so progressive man!

Old 08-07-2017, 08:19 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times
It doesn't bother me being legal, because users are going to get it regardless.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
All the teachers on this board cry about not being paid much and how bad the schools are....well weed was suppose to help that, its not. 16th mall is an open air methlab, many areas are full of bums, Durango you now have to step over people on the main streets, you hear stories about ppl smoking in their back yards smelling up the neighbor....but were so progressive man!
The problem with your post is that it is devoid of facts. I will let others more familiar with the 16th Street Mall comment on that, but it appears you have listened to Fox News when it comes to Durango. Your comments indicate that you haven't actually been there recently. Here's the truth, from Durango's own town paper:

https://durangoherald.com/articles/159260

Quote:
“The reporter had an angle, and he took the information he got to fit his angle,” Walsworth said. “I told him I did not believe marijuana was the cause, and that was not quoted at all.”

What’s more, the reporter barely identified himself as a reporter, Walsworth said. He left a voicemail that may have included “something Fox,” but he really presented himself as a concerned citizen who was in town for the soccer shootout and wanted to learn more about the panhandling issue, he said.

“(He) certainly never said I am doing a story for Fox News, which just calls into question his credibility,” Walsworth said.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:55 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
The problem with your post is that it is devoid of facts. I will let others more familiar with the 16th Street Mall comment on that, but it appears you have listened to Fox News when it comes to Durango. Your comments indicate that you haven't actually been there recently. Here's the truth, from Durango's own town paper:

I have been to Durango, just last fall. I am there for work 1-2 times a year. It's a great place.....but IMO weed has had a negative impact on CO. I wish the state had tougher laws on transients, Im sure the folks behind Boulder do as well when they burned down a bunch homes. I have a lot of clients that come into town for conventions and the same reaction all the time.....Denver kinda sucks!

Old 08-08-2017, 09:16 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
Quote:

Actually, Durango is pretty bad for pothead bums, as well as other druggie bums. I need to go there for some services but otherwise avoid it even though the natural setting is gorgeous.

So you really think Durango's newspaper wants to reveal much about its negative aspects that can drive away tourists and potential homebuyers? They're no more unbiased than any other small city whose tax base is less than diverse.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Actually, Durango is pretty bad for pothead bums, as well as other druggie bums. I need to go there for some services but otherwise avoid it even though the natural setting is gorgeous.

So you really think Durango's newspaper wants to reveal much about its negative aspects that can drive away tourists and potential homebuyers? They're no more unbiased than any other small city whose tax base is less than diverse.
That's not the point. If they decide that cannabis sales in their town should be allowed, who are we to say what their reasons are?

The point is that if you were to convene a town hall meeting there tonight and took a vote of whether cannabis sales should be continued to be allowed, the results would be an overwhelming yes. They can vote pot sales out anytime they want to.

Compare that with the slant that Fox News put on the story. After reading it, you come away with the impression that store owners are scared and that a once beautiful mountain resort town is now a pit. You and I both know that isn't the truth.

The bigger point is that Fox or that reporter had an agenda and purposely slanted the story. It has fueled attempts for some people to report things like "you have to step over people" in Durango. It was the most read story on Fox News's website that day, and who bothers checking for facts? I mean it's Fox News, right?

As others on this thread has stated, and whom I happen to agree with, the "pothead bum" problem will ease, is already easing in fact, as more states legalize. Really, if the transient problem is the worst problem you can come up with for believing legalization has been negative, then I would call legalization a success.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:58 AM

472 posts, read 347,814 times
This is good!! There are some positive parts, but there are a lot more no so positive parts of weed. Could it be there so many hard core weed smokers are moving here? I think so. Maybe if people would use it responsibly and it would become legal nationwide, there wouldn't be such this problem.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:01 AM

472 posts, read 347,814 times
Quote:
Being a product of 2 lifelong chain-smoking chronic alcoholic parents, I have a pretty good viewpoint from which to observe how those addictions affected their lives. My mother died at 62.

I am now 60 and have never used tobacco, but I have used cannabis daily for over 45 years. I have never even filed a medical insurance claim in my entire life (literally).

I have all the long term research I need to draw a conclusion.

Especially when I compare my life (it's actually a quite good one, you might be surprised) to my 71 year old brother's. He wasn't able to escape the alcohol demon that has run in my family's tree for generations. This is a word for word text I received just 2 days ago about his latest condition, from his step daughter. It is only the tip of the ice burg when it comes to how alcoholism has affected his life:

I am SO BLESSED to have found a plant that has helped me to avoid the fate of my parents, grandparents, and brother. The criminal part of this story, to me, are all the folks who believe that I should be in prison for using a plant to help me pull myself up by the bootstraps and make something out of my life.
This is a cool and heart-felt story. I am so sorry about what alcohol has done to your family. I've seen it do some nasty things in my family. Just curious, do you usually feel good? Do you still feel motivated to work and get things done? Has it ever lost it's potency or effect? I am trying to find examples where people can live a good life, and have a career, raise a family on it. I'm assuming you probably keep your use regulated or maybe just use in the evenings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado