Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 09:17 PM

15 posts, read 43,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmers View Post
Thank you so much FinishSTRONG7 for taking the time to write this very informative post! It is awesome! We are planning to move there and my husband has family there in different areas so he has visited there and I have been there once for a wedding and to see family. It is beautiful and I'm so excited to move there...

I was going to ask your opinion, as far as being a non-college town and resort town but still not being too flat of an area with maybe less than 100K in population, which area would you suggest?

Thanks a bunch!
Simmers,

Thanks! I understand perfectly how much everyone is dying to hear about wonderful Colorado! For you I would suggest Golden, Littleton, Highlands Ranch(both between Denver and Golden off SR 470), Broomfield, and Louisville(both on the way and very close to Boulder off US 36). Golden is practically in the mountains but it's too big to be just a mountain town(pop 17,000, not sure if that's too small). I just drove through the other cities so I can't give a lot of insight. From what I heard, HR is a master-planned community, very pricey homes. Broomfield has a great new mall. Even though Longmont itself is flat, I wouldn't rule it out. It's 20 mins from Boulder and it's a great town. Hope this helps.

Sherman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 09:36 PM

15 posts, read 43,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post

COLO SPRINGS: I found the town to be too crowded. Lots of traffic in the Interstate as they are doing contruction. Didin't feel as comfortable there. I like the area churches and the whole philosophy of the town. But overall, I found it to be crowded, some areas of town seemed kinda undesirable to me. Didn't seem as clean as Fort Collins/Loveland, yet certainly NOT a dump. Yeah Pikes Peak adds a lot to the scenery, just amazing, but you will also get slammed with the high snowfall, whenever there is a mjor storm. Seems like Northern CO doesn't get THAT much snow.

Congrats on your choice. Get out of CaliHELL and go to CO. Just leave the CA mentality behind, think healthy, safe, and moderate political mentality and you will be home in CO! Smart choice. We are leaving Orlando for northern CO, which is wonderful!! I just hope the transplants are all thinking like you and I, trying to make and keep CO wonderful and not destroy it like they did here in Orlando.

Merry Christmas!
Chris

Chris,

Did some checking online and here are the snow stats:

COS: 40" avg per year
FTC: 53" avg per year

Trivial of course, just FYI. I heard Monument, a small town north of COS, get s significantly more snow. So your theory is right there, but I'm guessing the Monument Divide, which diverts the 'bad' weather away from the city, comes into play here.

Regarding traffic, I compared College Ave in FTC to Academy Blvd in COS during rush hour and the traffic flowed much better on Academy. More cars on Academy, but bigger road. As far as I25 goes, FTC was much better, hands down!

No worries about my mentality, I realized last week I was a Coloradan by nature who happened to be born and raised in CA!

Merry Christmas to you too!
Sherman

Old 12-20-2006, 09:33 AM

144 posts, read 638,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinishSTRONG7 View Post
Thanks for the compliment! My goal was to be as objective as possible and show everyone has their own place in this beautiful state. An interesting observation: Take home prices and COL out of the equation and IMHO Colorado is still a better place to live than California! Weather is Cali's best selling pt, but 6 1/2 mos of summer and 2 in of rain a year is soooo boring. I'll take 4 seasons and snow, thank you very much. And I'll take evergreen-laden mountains over the ocean any day. It's WATER--if I ever need my fix, I'll just fill up my tub and spread sand over the tiles! NOW add the home prices/COL in Colorado and it's a no-brainer!!!

Of course I should mention, nobody should move to Colorado if:
--they hate snow
--they don't like constantly changing weather in general
--they worship the beach/ocean
--they don't like a slower pace of life compared to LA,NY,etc
--they have no clue how to be respectful
--they love smog, 1 1/2 hr gridlock, a city profile of skyscrapers and 100 mile sprawl

Sherman
Being born and raised in the Upstate NY snowbelt region and knowing just what snow is, I'd have no problems in Colorado. In fact I miss the snow and miss the seasons. Sure there are a lot of things about California I love, but you have posted it best about the reasons to get out of CA and into CO! I hope to move there by the end of next year. And last night on the Food Network, they had 2 programs on food in Denver and Boulder. My girlfriend (future wife) and I watched it and are chomping at the bit even more now to go. Again, big kudos for your great post(s).

Old 12-20-2006, 12:15 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 432,795 times
Quote:
Yeah so bummed about not going to Durango. Heard such great things, especially the mtn biking! Just way too far to drive from COS. Definitely let us know how it was. Between you and me, we'll have the major parts of the state covered!

Sherman
Durango is nice, but since it's on the otehr side of the Rockies, it is very very dry.

It is also very expensive. Stick with the eastern side of the Rockies, it is prettier.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:29 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
Quote:
Chris,

Did some checking online and here are the snow stats:

COS: 40" avg per year
FTC: 53" avg per year

Trivial of course, just FYI. I heard Monument, a small town north of COS, get s significantly more snow. So your theory is right there, but I'm guessing the Monument Divide, which diverts the 'bad' weather away from the city, comes into play here.

Regarding traffic, I compared College Ave in FTC to Academy Blvd in COS during rush hour and the traffic flowed much better on Academy. More cars on Academy, but bigger road. As far as I25 goes, FTC was much better, hands down!

No worries about my mentality, I realized last week I was a Coloradan by nature who happened to be born and raised in CA!

Merry Christmas to you too!
Sherman

I am Coloradoan in mentality too! To be honest, I have ALWAYS wanted to move to CO since I was like 17 years old. Central FL was very very nice (been here 11 years now), but in the last 3 or 4 years, it's gone WAY downhill.... California downhill. Orlando is basically Los Angeles (we even have MS-13 gangs of illegal aliens here too, how similar to CA is that?), except we still have a few people that speak English in Orlando. But they are all leaving, no one can take the crime, the cost of living, and bad wages anymore.

I am just REALLY worried that CO doesn't become Central Florida (you know, with the out-of-state [mod cut]coming over and ruining EVERYTHING, creating crime, bringing drugs, deflating wages, causing traffic james that last 1h each way, etc ). This is what happened to Central Florida, I love CO, I don't want it to go to the toilet like Orlando did, I want to it continue to be wonderul, I want to invite my neighbors to a BBQ and not be robbed in the process or to be able to go to a grocery store and not see drug deals in the parking lot. All I want to have a cute little house, a nice garden/yard, help in the community, work and feel safe at home, ski once in a while.... know what I mean? I don't need to be rich, just pay the bills and feel safe, be outdoorsy (the weather is much better in Co than here, I have been there enough to know that). CO becoming FL (or CA) is really my #2 concern about CO... I want it to continue to be nice. Other than that it's undoubtely the best/healthiest state in the US of A!!! Not to mention, pretty and soooooooo affordable!

Just to make sure we're making the right move to the right town, we will check Co Springs (again) and then head to FTC and see if we still like FTC better or maybe Co Springs is the way to go. I like the family-oriented, church-going atmosphere of CO Springs, no doubt. FTC is not bad, it is middle-of-the-road (because of the college), but most family folk are more conservative. It will be a VERY difficult choice, I am sure, we really like FTC, but CO Springs has the Focus in the Family and Pikes Peak is right there.... but from FTC we can go to Estes Park and ski in Eldora..... ARRGGGHH this is too hard... it is all very nice, I wish I could have a house in each scity and the mountains, there is so much to enjoy!!!

Why can't it be March already?!?? We cannot wait to leave and stop paying $1,100 in RENT for a 2/2 apt!! I want to start living more and worrying less about 1h traffic james each way to and from work.... this is not living, this is existing, I don't think I have really live in the past 3 years, man, I only feel THIS good when I was in CO, we know this move will be so good, we will be going places all the time, man, I cannot wait. (can you tell I am ready 2 go?)

When are you moving to Co Springs?? Are you buying a house right off the bat or rent first? Do you already have a job (industry?) or will you look for one when you get there?

Chris ^_^

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-20-2006 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: offensive terminology

Old 12-20-2006, 05:54 PM

54 posts, read 302,155 times
Quote:
Simmers,

Thanks! I understand perfectly how much everyone is dying to hear about wonderful Colorado! For you I would suggest Golden, Littleton, Highlands Ranch(both between Denver and Golden off SR 470), Broomfield, and Louisville(both on the way and very close to Boulder off US 36). Golden is practically in the mountains but it's too big to be just a mountain town(pop 17,000, not sure if that's too small). I just drove through the other cities so I can't give a lot of insight. From what I heard, HR is a master-planned community, very pricey homes. Broomfield has a great new mall. Even though Longmont itself is flat, I wouldn't rule it out. It's 20 mins from Boulder and it's a great town. Hope this helps.

Sherman
Thanks for the information and advice. It was very helpful. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-20-2006, 06:56 PM

138 posts, read 468,582 times
Oh you guys! I am sooo jealous!!! I want to be back in CO so bad- I have been up here in northern Wyoming , where it is brown, dusty, windy, no snow!! No culture either! Being in a medium sized city (or by one) is great- you can have your rural land, but can be able to enjoy some things that a city has to offer, especially a college town! Jealous Jealous Jealous!! If only I could leave Wyoming!!

Old 12-20-2006, 08:31 PM

18 posts, read 67,602 times
Default schools

Just wanted to add if you are deciding between the Springs and Fort Collins (or anywhere else, really) to check the school reports. greatschools web site.

I hear great things about Fort Collins, but I do notice a couple shady areas.

Take Care.....still deciding myself....I made it here last night (Denver) but have been snowed in since.

My interviews (Boulder and Fort Collins) are postponed, others scheduled in January...

Old 12-21-2006, 08:45 AM

4 posts, read 16,314 times
Cool What shady areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandilinn1117 View Post
Just wanted to add if you are deciding between the Springs and Fort Collins (or anywhere else, really) to check the school reports. greatschools web site.

Take Care.....still deciding myself....I made it here last night (Denver) but have been snowed in since.

My interviews (Boulder and Fort Collins) are postponed, others scheduled in January...

I have been lurking around this board for a while..... Hello everyone? My family and I are planning to relocate to Fort Collins from NYC --- I have 2 HS age children.... What shady areas are you referring to?

Old 12-21-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandilinn1117 View Post

What are the Fort Collins shaddy areas? I didn't see them, or maybe I did, but I am soooo used to seeing ghetto in Orlando all over the place, I am kinda dessensitized.....

CAN ANYONE POST SOME FORT COLLINS SNOW PICS???

Merry Christmas!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado