Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 01:29 AM

72 posts, read 126,352 times

Advertisements

Hi :
My Green Card will be ready in the next 6 to 9 months.
I am a single male 32 years old technical engineer and dreaming for a place where is ideal for study and work and start a family.
I love cold snowy weather and hate hot summers.I afford to buy a house for around 40000 dollar and near a relevant good college to continue study.
I have 5 years of experience in managing factory utilities and machineries.
So where do you think is suitable for me?
Any suggestions is appreciated.
Thanx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 09:20 AM

87 posts, read 458,979 times
I've seen some trailers on craigslist.org that cheap. You won't find a house that cheap anywhere except maybe Detroit.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:00 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,983,639 times
Perhaps you meant 400k? In any case, I wouldn't worry so much about buying a house right now. I'd suggest instead that you look at an apartment rental for a couple years while you discover Denver and determine if this is where you truly want to live.

As for colleges, there are several in the area: University of Denver, University of Colorado - Denver, Metro State College of Denver, and Regis University (all in Denver), plus the Colorado School of Mines (Golden), or the University of Colorado (Boulder). You will have to meet some residency requirements to attend the public universities at subsidized in-state tuition, though for graduate school this often can be overcome by getting an assistantship, a realistic option if you are an engineering student.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:10 PM

117 posts, read 532,052 times
Not sure where you are now but have a look at Durango !

Old 08-31-2008, 11:16 AM

Thank you tfox.That is a good advice.For the Money I should say 40k is right, If it's too little,How much is the minimum?
Actually, Michigan and MichiganTech is the other state and university I am looking at right now.
By the way, Where has more snow fall, Colorado or Michigan?
For the record, I am from Tehran,Iran.

Last edited by ShahramTaba; 08-31-2008 at 11:28 AM..

Old 08-31-2008, 02:42 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,011,781 times
Neither Colorado nor Michigan gets as much snowfall as Tehran. Just testing your sense of humor.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:56 AM

Thanx for your testing,but I could use a simple answer.
By the way,Tehran gets only one or two snowfalls a year.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:37 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,983,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShahramTaba View Post
Thank you tfox.That is a good advice.For the Money I should say 40k is right, If it's too little,How much is the minimum?
Actually, Michigan and MichiganTech is the other state and university I am looking at right now.
By the way, Where has more snow fall, Colorado or Michigan?
For the record, I am from Tehran,Iran.
Shahram, Khosh Amadeed!

40k is maybe doable for a small condominium, but I'd say single family residences are starting more in the mid 100k range. The average price is more in the lower 200k range. But as I said, you're probably better off renting an apartment at first.

As for comparing Colorado snowfall and Michigan, you can probably look that up here on city-data. My guess would be that snowfall totals between Denver and Ann Arbor, MI would be similar, though Denver would have much higher average temperatures in winter and a lot more sun. Actually I think you'll find that Denver and Tehran are fairly similar in terms of annual temperatures and climate, though Denver does get more snowfall in winter and rainfall in summer than Tehran does.

As you probably know, there is an Iranian community in Denver, but not a particularly large one compared to the larger cities like NY, Washington D.C., and Los Angeles. We have a few Iranian restaurants here, and several Iranian-run grocery stores. I really don't know about Michigan -- parts of the Detroit suburbs have many Arab-Americans, but not sure about Iranians.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:53 PM

274 posts, read 628,227 times
Michigan Tech is in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan real close to Canada in the Keweenaw Peninsula. It gets really cold there and they have abundant snowfall. I googled "Keweenaw Peninsula" and found that it gets anywhere from 200-300 inches of snow every year. And I would guess that homes prices are cheaper up there compared to Colorado. My parents bought a cabin close to Alpena which is about 3/4 of the way up the state. It was a 2 bed 1 bath with a 2 car detached garage and they paid $21,300 for it back in 05'.

One of my best friends from High School graduated from Michigan Tech and got a pretty good job as a Mechanical Engineer when he got out working for John Deere.

Ann Arbor MI is about 540 miles south of where Michigan Tech is located at in Houghton, MI. Ann Arbor gets about 15-20 inches less of snow a year then Denver, right around 40-45 inches a year. I grew up and lived around the Ann Arbor area for 30 yrs.

Last edited by I_Want_Snow; 09-02-2008 at 07:08 PM..

Old 09-02-2008, 10:01 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,028,347 times
DO NOT look at Detroit - high, high crime - housing is low, but, the high crime, no jobs situation is the reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado