Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:33 PM

29 posts, read 95,052 times

Advertisements

Since no new threads have been posted lately regarding Durango, I thought I'd ask all of you what your predictions are for the 2010 Durango area real-estate market? Please give your thoughts on primary residential, duplex's, single unit rentals and vacation rentals. Where would you all invest this year? Thanks!

Old 03-09-2010, 05:01 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Nowhere. My opinion is that we poised for the next big leg down in the real estate market. Colorado was late entering this mess, but the stage is set for a vicious decline. In areas overpriced and heavily reliant on retirement, second home, and equity investment from other areas, I expect the downtown to be especially brutal. That pretty much describes Durango perfectly. I think it's just a question of how soon it hits and how long it lasts. Fairly soon and really long is my prediction, based on my observance of the markets in Colorado for 3+ decades now.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:27 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Can't imagine it will be anything other than a buyer's market.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Can't imagine it will be anything other than a buyer's market.
More like "catching a falling knife," as they say in the securities market.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:09 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
There may be pleasant surpries. I don't think the situation is as glum as some might have us believe. I'm willing to let my imagination soar with the possibilities. What is...is. Make's no sense to limit our imaginations to the trend that alreay exists. That would be a great mis-use of creative power!

Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.....Albert Einstein

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.....Albert Einstein

Old 03-10-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
There may be pleasant surpries. I don't think the situation is as glum as some might have us believe. I'm willing to let my imagination soar with the possibilities. What is...is. Make's no sense to limit our imaginations to the trend that alreay exists. That would be a great mis-use of creative power!

Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.....Albert Einstein

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.....Albert Einstein
This is where you and I differ. I don't consider a collapse in the real estate market a bad thing. The possibilities that I look at are that normal middle-class folks might actually be able to afford to buy a home without using financial smoke-and-mirrors to do it. I look at the possibility that a whole lot of people who were employed in building what was essentially non-productive and non-earning real estate crap might eventually find what would be truly economically productive employment. I look forward to the day when we are not wantonly destroying the natural beauty and historical heritage of places like Durango just so people can have some second home McMansion to go to just to goof off. I imagine the day when many Colorado communities quit being "cartoon" versions of real towns replete with a population rife with cartoon-like characters detached from reality to real communities with normal community values. I do think it is going take a cathartic crisis both nationally and locally before we can get there, but I say "bring it on." The sooner it happens, the sooner we change and adjust, and the sooner we get to something better than the hedonistic, unsustainable mess that constitutes much of the current Colorado and national "lifestyle." Of course, a lot of what I call the "spoiled brats" in this country won't like what lies ahead, but they'll just have to get over it. Party time for them is over no matter what--they just don't quite know it yet.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:16 AM

664 posts, read 2,094,667 times
I hope the housing market in that area (Durango-Pagosa) gets better. My father has been trying to sell a house in Pagosa for a while now and would really be nice if it would sell so he could move back to OKC and spend time with his grandkids.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:19 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
I don't know why people bother trying to predict markets. It's been known for a long time these things are not predictable.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:51 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,148 times
Short term trends.
Durango average and median listing prices - Trulia.com
RP

Old 03-10-2010, 10:54 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,148 times
Trends

■As a result of Colorado’s high foreclosure rate, the real estate sales market is declining. Although foreclosures are continually rising, some predict that the real estate sales market will improve within the next two years. Due to the number of foreclosures, the real estate rental market is climbing. Many homeowners are renting their properties, instead of selling, to preserve ownership. Meanwhile, some of the same homeowners find themselves renting other properties that have a lower monthly payment.
■In June 2007, Governor Bill Ritter signed into law four new mortgage broker bills that gave the Director of the Division of Real Estate regulatory authority over mortgage brokers in the State of Colorado. As a result, in addition to having regulatory authority over real estate brokers and appraisers, the Division of Real Estate now has jurisdiction over mortgage brokers, as well.
■One stop shopping is addressed through new laws that require disclosure of new or changing affiliated business arrangements between real estate broker and other settlement providers and/or companies. Settlement providers include but are not limited to, title companies, mortgage companies, appraisers and inspectors.
■The Division of Real Estate has a new Consumer Outreach and Education Department that will focus on providing consumer awareness while educating consumers and real estate professionals.
■The trend shows real estate broker applications for licensure are declining. Consumers, in the real estate market, are increasingly relying on the internet to obtain real estate information and services.
■The Division of Real Estate’s mission is consumer protection as well as creating a competitive market where business can thrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado