Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 PM

299 posts, read 903,465 times

Advertisements

The stretch of Interstate 25 that runs from Pueblo to the Fort Collins area is becoming far to dangerous, especially in the northbound lanes.

Every time I drive from Pueblo to Denver (once or twice a month), I see numerous drivers going 10-15 MPH over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic, and cutting people off. It amazes me that there aren't more deadly accidents in this stretch.

I've driven on other major highways in surrounding states (I-70,I-80, I-90, I-35), and it doesn't seem like there are nearly as many crazy drivers on those highways. Also, in every state I've driven through (WY,KS, IA, MN, SD, NE, NV, CA, TX, NM, UT) the speed limit was never higher than 70 MPH. In most states, the speed limit on the interstate is 65 MPH.

IMO, the state needs to lower the speed limit on this stretch to 65 MPH. If they want to keep the speed limit on I-70 from Denver to the Kansas state line, that would be fine with me, because there isn't nearly as much traffic on that stretch, and the terrain is very flat. I-25 north of Colorado Springs has way to many twists and turns, which is why I think a 75 MPH speed limit is to high.

What sayest ye???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 12:13 AM

18,001 posts, read 27,450,890 times
I was impressed with Michigan. Three lanes with trucks not allowed to go into the far left.

I-25 should be three lanes minimum from Pueblo to Fort Collins. In Denver proper, there are more than enough lanes to choose from if you want to go slower. Colorado Springs is nice unless you're in rush hour. In Pueblo, most people cannot comprehend a speed limit above 55 or 50. It took folks from New Mexico that travel it fairly often to complain and have north and south sections up'd to 65. But there again, most Pueblo drivers cannot mash their foot down hard enough to drive 65 in those zones... except for me.

The worst and most dangerous portions of the Front Range stretch that I've found is right at the apex of northbound traffic from the top of Monument Hill to about Castle Rock. If you speed through the southern sections of El Paso county, you're an idiot. You will get pulled over and you will get a speeding ticket.

I used to say that Oregon drivers were the most courteous drivers. Not true. Their speed limit is 65 and you either have those who don't care and drive 80 or you have those who like to drive 60 in the fast lane and won't get over if you want to pass them. So when you pass them on the right, they hog the center, as I give them a driving lesson and brush them back. So no... Oregon drivers are just like everybody else... selfish and aggressive.

I drive about 4 or 5 over and that's it. In some situations, it's obnoxious to go the exact speed limit. You try pulling that around Monument Hill and you'll get run over. But watch what everybody does once a trooper comes into the scene. They all drive 5 under... cept for me. I drive 4 or 5 over and they don't give me a ticket. I've been pulled over here and there, but just a warning.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:21 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
I think 80 is a reasonable speed limit on rural Interstates east of the Mississippi River, and 85 is a reasonable speed limit on rural Interstates west of the Mississippi River.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:51 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,455,268 times
I am ok with the speed limit at 75. From what I have noticed you can go about 7 mph over the speed limit and be ok. I do agree with McGowdog that I-25 should be a minimum of 6 lanes from Pueblo to Fort Collins as that would help the traffic flow by giving a extra lane for "slow" drivers.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:08 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,466,506 times
Nonsense. The best thing to do is to provide a viable rail transportation alternative (conventional rail, not high-speed) that will get cars off of the road. That is both much cheaper to build and maintain, and is leagues more energy efficient. It is a gross waste of taxpayer money to endlessly expand highways when we, in relatively short order, will neither have adequate energy supplies nor the ability to afford more gasoline--and we already have reached the point that we can not afford to maintain the existing highway infrastructure. It's over, folks.

As to Colorado drivers, especially those on the Front Range, they often make me ashamed of we Coloradans. There really is a chronic problem in this state with people ignoring the traffic laws and common courtesy. When I lived in Wyoming, most all Wyoming drivers followed the speed limits (contrary to urban legends saying otherwise). If you were passed by a vehicle exceeding the speed limit by more than 15-20 mph, it was almost inevitably a Colorado car. Same with discourteous driving and driving unsafely for road conditions. In bad winter storms, the cars in the ditch were again disproportionatly Colorado cars.

By the way, in my own driving record, I have received four citations in four decades and close to 800,000 miles of driving. Two of those were in vehicles that were later determined to have malfunctioning speedometers. I get where I'm going just about as fast as anyone else, and I don't have to speed or break traffic laws to do it. And I also get to enjoy those low insurance premiums, along with better fuel economy. I leave driving 80 or 90 mph to the money-wasting dumb***es.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 AM

^

We need both a 6 lane interstate, 3 lanes in each direction, and a HSR with a hub for the Colorado and New Mexico lines in Pueblo. It will be expensive but it will spur growth so the Front Range can be one of the top 5 regions in the country this century and next.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:14 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,671,465 times
Definitely with I-25 we need a minimum of six lanes for the whole length built to a high standard for high speeds.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:49 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,181,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
I see numerous drivers going 10-15 MPH over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic, and cutting people off... IMO, the state needs to lower the speed limit on this stretch to 65 MPH.
But then those people would just go 20-25 MPH over the limit, weaving in and out, and cutting people off. Right?

Old 05-25-2010, 10:10 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,466,506 times
Josseppie and wanneroo,

You are both stuck in the mantra of the past. Your vision would only make the Front Range look like the mess of Southern California. That is good enough reason right there to reject the concept, but the reality of our near future is going to make your path look like the stupidest mistake any government could make. That kind of thinking is one of the main reasons this country is broke now--government mis-investment and misallocation of resources into a system that is not sustainable and has no viable long-term future. Too bad we are so brainwashed that most people can't see it for what it is.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Josseppie and wanneroo,

You are both stuck in the mantra of the past. Your vision would only make the Front Range look like the mess of Southern California. That is good enough reason right there to reject the concept, but the reality of our near future is going to make your path look like the stupidest mistake any government could make. That kind of thinking is one of the main reasons this country is broke now--government mis-investment and misallocation of resources into a system that is not sustainable and has no viable long-term future. Too bad we are so brainwashed that most people can't see it for what it is.
That is why I say the Front Range needs both a 6 lane interstate and a HSR. That makes us more like the north east then southern California and will be needed as every metro area from the Pueblo MSA to Fort Collins/ Loveland MSA passes one million people this century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado