Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 10:39 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
There is a lot of momentum in Columbia. Nephron is close to expanding the new pharm plant, Main Street has a number of new retail shops (someone can help with a list), class A vacancy is in the single digits, a new housing project is announced almost weekly, Canalside continues to grow, Aflac continues to grow, Assembly is finally starting to get attention, a larger bank will still call Columbia home, Whole Foods, Basil, Trader Joes are coming online and new headquarters are moving to Main.

And, the new Moore School of Business will drive a lot of traffic once the new world class landmark building opens.

I would expect more retailers to announce as Columbia continues to get attention. If I remember right, there are about $100m in new projects coming to The Vista, that means that a lot of new announcements are pending.
It's amazing how similar Columbia and Greenville are doing right now development wise downtown. Greenville lands Anthropologie and Columbia lands Urban Outitters. Columbia has $100 million in development alone within the Vista while Greenville has it with ONE. Columbia has the USC business school while Greenville has the Clemson business school. Columbia and Greenville both have class A vacancy rate within the CBD at single digits along with bank headquarters growing. Crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
I won't shop at Urban Outfitters since I don't like the owner's extreme right politics, but it is good to have more retail in the area.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:10 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Because this thread for some reason lumps the Vista and Five Points together as one topic of discussion, I'll add that about halfway between the two districts the new USC School of Law will soon take up a whole block.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:16 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
It's amazing how similar Columbia and Greenville are doing right now development wise downtown. Greenville lands Anthropologie and Columbia lands Urban Outitters. Columbia has $100 million in development alone within the Vista while Greenville has it with ONE. Columbia has the USC business school while Greenville has the Clemson business school. Columbia and Greenville both have class A vacancy rate within the CBD at single digits along with bank headquarters growing. Crazy.
That is ineresting. Good to see each city focus on the core with a variety of projects.

And, although not in the Vista, construction of the new law school will be a great addition to Carolina's campus. The new building looks terrific. And, I forgot about the new 60k sq foot alumni center. While I wish this was closer to the Horseshoe, it will be a great addition in the Vista.

The only negative is that the movement towards the river and growth of the Vista will make it very hard to attract national retailers at 5 points.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:56 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,337,969 times
@waccamat
re:
Quote:
I won't shop at Urban Outfitters since I don't like the owner's extreme right politics, but it is good to have more retail in the area.
NASDAQ:URBN is a public company and the total insider stake including the founders) is 24% so while you're free to do whatever you please I'm not sure I understand your stance in this instance.

@GSP101
Quote:
The only negative is that the movement towards the river and growth of the Vista will make it very hard to attract national retailers at 5 points.
This is a positive. National retailers can cluster in the Vista and in doing so increase the differentiation btw the Vista and 5pts.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:41 AM

Here's Midlandsbiz's take on the Urban Outfitters announcement.

Congaree Vista Guild Welcomes New Development and Urban Outfitters to the Neighborhood | MidlandsBiz

Old 03-01-2013, 09:16 AM

596 posts, read 937,891 times
Five Points kind of seems like Columbia's old main street / downtown area. Main street just seems like office buildings and parking garages. I wonder what it looked like before all that.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
Five Points kind of seems like Columbia's old main street / downtown area. Main street just seems like office buildings and parking garages. I wonder what it looked like before all that.
I have often thought Main Street's name should be changed back to Richardson Street. That would take away the expectation that it should be any more "main" in terms of shopping and nighttime activity than any other street. It used to have stores, movie theaters, and just about everything you expect to see on a "Main Street." Instead of boarding up buildings like so many towns and cities did when suburbia became king, Columbia tore down a lot of them and put up office buildings. Others got 60's- and 70's-style facades, some of which are still there while some have been removed to expose the original facades for refurbishment. Main Street has only one parking garage on it though, the one you enter behind or next to the Tower at Main & Gervais. Some preserved old buildings are still on Main, but the 1500 through 1700 blocks are the main blocks that retain those types of buildings.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:39 PM

596 posts, read 937,891 times
why do some ppl in columbia want Main street to be a happening place as far as nightlife and shopping? i think five points and the vista can get the job done and it kind of makes columbia unique having two separated hot spots downtown.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
why do some ppl in columbia want Main street to be a happening place as far as nightlife and shopping? i think five points and the vista can get the job done and it kind of makes columbia unique having two separated hot spots downtown.
In some cities, downtown and Main Street are pretty much the same thing with just a few peripheral attractions scattered here and there away from the main drag. When people visit "Main Street" in those cities and then come back to Columbia, it's too easy to fall into the trap of comparing Columbia's Main Street with the other cities' and to forget about the other areas Columbia has to be proud of, two of which are the topic of this thread, so I'll get off of Main Street now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area