Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 05:54 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,770,297 times

Advertisements

Frenchman cites Columbia's "Famously Hot" weather and friendly people as reasons for picking the capital city for his new crepes and croissants eatery on Sumter Street

He first visited Columbia on the advice of a friend who had spent some time here, and now he's opening his own restaurant after dreaming about it for 25 years.

Crepe dream comes true after 25 years - Shop Around - TheState.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 08:49 AM

611 posts, read 921,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Frenchman cites Columbia's "Famously Hot" weather and friendly people as reasons for picking the capital city for his new crepes and croissants eatery on Sumter Street

He first visited Columbia on the advice of a friend who had spent some time here, and now he's opening his own restaurant after dreaming about it for 25 years.

Crepe dream comes true after 25 years - Shop Around - TheState.com

That's awesome. I hope he's successful.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:05 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,338,192 times
Default not to nitpick but that's on Sumter street/ but awesome nonetheless

That new sumter street garage with street level retail is almost done too and I know parking garage's are not normally anything to get excited about but if you've seen this one it seriously is the nicest parking garage in the city, no contest. And with M Fresh and the crepe place filling up the spots under the old garage those retail spots will be highly coveted.

And Main's immediate parallel and cross streets strengthening is a boon to the main vein.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:08 PM

When I named this thread I used the phrase "Main Street area" on purpose so that developments in the general central business district corridor could be included.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:51 PM

157 posts, read 249,086 times
Former Capitol Cafe/Brennan Building renovations:

http://m.flickr.com/lightbox?id=6923047482

Old 04-15-2012, 05:30 PM

A game changer for activity seven nights a week on Main Street is opening in August.

The Nickelodeon Theatre seeks to revitalize Main Street - Life & Style - TheState.com

Old 04-24-2012, 06:53 AM

8,247 posts, read 13,368,401 times
Any more news on the developer that wants to turn the second tallest building in the city into a Dorm? The former SCANA headquarters on Main?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Any more news on the developer that wants to turn the second tallest building in the city into a Dorm? The former SCANA headquarters on Main?
The only news right now is that city staff requested and was granted a deferral on the rezoning request. Aflac will be looking to house over 800 employees under one roof soon. Hmmmmm.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 AM

8,247 posts, read 13,368,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The only news right now is that city staff requested and was granted a deferral on the rezoning request. Aflac will be looking to house over 800 employees under one roof soon. Hmmmmm.

Aflac may be a better deal... I am not against the students but a 20 story building full of college student may not be within what the City has in mind for Main Street. ( Historical Note: I remember hearing stories about the old Wade Hampton Hotel.. which was a old hotel that used to house students on the site of the Capitol Center.. Heard they used to have to pretty rowdy parties that fueled the Main Street 'Animal House' scene in the 70s......Toga Toga Toga.... )

I know they want residents to live on Main Street but I think they want it more organic than dumping that many student in the area. I could be wrong.. It would be better if that type of development was in the Vista (innovista) or closer to Five Points (ahem.. the Greyhound Bus Station Site on Gervais and Harden)

Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 AM

I lived in the Wade Hampton and never thought about anyone wishing we weren't there. I would prefer that student housing not infiltrate downtown, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area