Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 10:37 AM

85 posts, read 91,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Richland County can use a premier outdoor store. Cabela's fills that necessity.

Costco is a sound competitor to Sam's Club.
Having shopped in both for many years, there is no competition. Costco wins hands down. I also like having a Cabelas. Columbia is really starting to come on as a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 12:40 PM

8,248 posts, read 13,368,401 times
Would it be wrong of me to say that I don't want to see any more development along Killian Road? Traffic was/is HORRIBLE on it and down I-77.......There was a wreck over the holidays on 26 @20 and everything was backed up to Habison and down 26 to Lexington Medical Center.. Dutch Sq. exit to Bush River on 20.. I have never seen anything like it.. and the wreck wasn't even major. I thought I was back in DC....SMH

Old 11-30-2015, 02:07 PM

377 posts, read 710,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Would it be wrong of me to say that I don't want to see any more development along Killian Road? Traffic was/is HORRIBLE on it and down I-77.......There was a wreck over the holidays on 26 @20 and everything was backed up to Habison and down 26 to Lexington Medical Center.. Dutch Sq. exit to Bush River on 20.. I have never seen anything like it.. and the wreck wasn't even major. I thought I was back in DC....SMH
I get that, the area's already feeling a lot less like the suburbs I moved there for, and while I'm beyond thrilled about Costco and Cabela's and a movie theater that isn't &*#$ing Regal, I won't lie and say I'm not concerned about what all that's going to do to traffic not just on the Killian corridor (which, holy CRAP lately), but on all the other arteries leading out of the NE as local traffic shifts onto them to avoid the added congestion on Killian. There aren't many and none of them can really handle much more. Something's gotta give, be it more lanes or better-timed lights or a The Stand-like pandemic that thins the herd considerably.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:47 PM

229 posts, read 395,650 times
Found this... Shows rushs is still coming and some of the land plots. Also shows "restaurant and dentist". Shows two more proposed stop lights!! Man traffic is going to get crappy. I don't know what "the rush" logo is in the bottom though. That's where it says rushs but the logo is weird.

http://www.providencegroup.com/prope...tail/flyer.pdf

Old 11-30-2015, 07:41 PM

It's a Rush Fitness Complex logo, but Rush's the burger chain definitely owns the land. I suspect an intern was in a rush to get the flyer out and slapped the wrong logo on it.

Tonight as I sat parked in the right-hand lane on 77 a mile away from the exit, waiting to get onto Killian, I had to wonder just how ugly things are going to get before the state finally gets around to adding an additional exit lane to accommodate the added cars.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:03 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nin_man View Post
It's a Rush Fitness Complex logo, but Rush's the burger chain definitely owns the land. I suspect an intern was in a rush to get the flyer out and slapped the wrong logo on it.

Tonight as I sat parked in the right-hand lane on 77 a mile away from the exit, waiting to get onto Killian, I had to wonder just how ugly things are going to get before the state finally gets around to adding an additional exit lane to accommodate the added cars.
The Rush Fitness Complex was acquired by Gold's Gym. Rush's would be a definite healthy and delicious option at Killian's Crossing.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:26 AM

7 posts, read 10,420 times
Default Widening A part of Killian Rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post

I have said this before they're going to need to widen Killian Rd., starting from 77 to Farrow Rd/555 by making it three lanes on both sides to deal with the current and future traffic near Killian Crossing.

Since the bridge between Farrow Rd by the car wash to LongLeaf Rd by the Rite Aid is a two lane bridge they won't be able to expand the lanes further down Killian Road. Unless they reconstruct or build another bridge for that section of Killian Road.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The Rush Fitness Complex was acquired by Gold's Gym. Rush's would be a definite healthy and delicious option at Killian's Crossing.
I need a flowchart. There's a Gold's Gym literally right next door, but the owner of that franchise (and the other four locations in Columbia) recently switched their contract to MÜV, with an actual umlaut over the U. So if that really is a Rush Fitness Complex, it will actually be a Gold's (news articles I read indicated that existing RFCs would be re-branded), and the Gold's that's a hundred yards away from there is going to look like it's owned by one of the guys from Mötörhead. And right smack in between the two gyms is a liquor store and a restaurant that specializes in fried chicken and cheeseburgers with chili on them.

I'm hoping my theory is right and it's just an intern with a tight deadline.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:29 AM

229 posts, read 395,650 times
I'm not sure how they can widen it, is the land they could possibly use owned by the property owners? It looks like it's stuck the way it is forever. They could change up the turn lane onto the highway and make the bridge over i77 larger to help alleviate some pain.

Since longgreen parkway now has two turning lanes it's been better for me to get on killian road. Hobart road is always an option as well.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:36 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,947,200 times
This development will add traffic, but not astronomically more than is already there I think. From the looks of the renderings, this is clearly not to the scale of a Sandhills and more so like a Sparkleberry Crossing or whatever the place is over there with the target is called.

Don't get me wrong, it will add some traffic, but most of the people coming to Killans Crossing will more than likely be the folks already traveling through there considering it is one of the main ways to get to many of the NE subdivisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area