Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 08:35 PM

12,883 posts, read 18,741,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Because Greenville and Atlanta illustrate this point very well and also give a good look as to how this could change the game in Columbia.
This lending company is focused more on the region, not specifically on downtown. As a region, I think Columbia is already on par with Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 10:19 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,945,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
This lending company is focused more on the region, not specifically on downtown. As a region, I think Columbia is already on par with Greenville.
Oh I'm not suggesting it isn't I was just giving an example of how people are starting to become more drawn to smaller cities vs larger ones and the opportunity that presents.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:03 AM

12,883 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Quote:
Oh I'm not suggesting it isn't I was just giving an example of how people are starting to become more drawn to smaller cities vs larger ones and the opportunity that presents.
Ok. I'll just substitute Columbia for Greenville in your post.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Ok. I'll just substitute Columbia for Greenville in your post.
Go for it.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:59 PM

16 posts, read 17,727 times
Quote:
Because Greenville and Atlanta illustrate this point very well and also give a good look as to how this could change the game in Columbia.
I am not sure Greenville and Atlanta illustrate the point. I think just the opposite.....Greenville's population growth, about the same as Columbia, is skewed more towards the over 55 crowd. Atlanta's growth is a much younger crowd.

When you look at cities that are growing and attracting the younger crowd, the cities are smaller than Atlanta, just not as small as Greenville.

But, I am glad to see the article pointing out that Cola is a good market. It is not growing as fast as Cola but grows on par with Greenville. The DT office market is very very tight, housing of all kinds are coming out of the ground from the river to Harden St. Devine St is one of the best neighborhood streets in SC.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:03 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,394,692 times
According to a comparison tool on Sperling's best places, Cola has a median age that is 4.7 years younger than ATL, and Greenville has a media age that is 0.3 years younger than ATL.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:19 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Columbia has its work cut out for it: The Best Places For Jobs - Bankrate

Old 05-04-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Cashman View Post
I am not sure Greenville and Atlanta illustrate the point. I think just the opposite.....Greenville's population growth, about the same as Columbia, is skewed more towards the over 55 crowd. Atlanta's growth is a much younger crowd.

When you look at cities that are growing and attracting the younger crowd, the cities are smaller than Atlanta, just not as small as Greenville.

But, I am glad to see the article pointing out that Cola is a good market. It is not growing as fast as Cola but grows on par with Greenville. The DT office market is very very tight, housing of all kinds are coming out of the ground from the river to Harden St. Devine St is one of the best neighborhood streets in SC.
I disagree, Greenville's growing age bracket really falls within the 25-34 crowd. While it does attract some of the 65+ crowd, most of that is not Greenville proper but rather Greenville County up towards the mountains.

Both Columbia and Greenville are seeing a lot of growth within that category and I think both represent great examples of where smaller cities have opportunity.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:45 PM

744 posts, read 747,592 times
This may be some of the worst reporting and evaluation of demographic information I have ever seen. Someone from The State Newspaper decided to re-publish and article from the Greenville news. Maybe since no one works at The State anymore.

Why are so many high-end restaurants coming to downtown Greenville? | The State

Some in the Columbia area might wonder why the capital city is sometimes passed over for such high-end restaurants. (Who are these "some," it seems the only restaurants we don't have are Charleston based. There is no shortage of high end restaurants in and all over Columbia.)

The answer might be in the numbers, some speculate. (Who are these "some," are they researchers at "they" university?)

Comparing the median income of Greenville, Columbia and Charleston, Greenville and Columbia are relatively close at $41,147 and $41,454, respectively, with Charleston’s median income at $52,971, according to the 2015 US Census. (This is the only fact you were able to accurately articulate.)

Closer inspection, though, shows that Columbia’s per capita income of $24,723 is much lower than Greenville ($31,043) or Charleston ($33,117) and the population of Columbia (977.8 people/square mile in 2010) is not as concentrated in one area as in Greenville (2,037.4) or Charleston (1,101.9). " (First off, per capita income is "the mean money income received in the past 12 months computed for every man, woman, and child in a geographic area." This measure does not represent income distribution, nor does it provide a closer inspection of median family income. Secondly, the fact that Greenville City has a higher "densitiy" than Greenville or Columbia is an annexation issue, not a measure of population density. for example, Fort Jackson's area is larger than the rest of Columbia, but includes a very low "counted" population.)

I get so sick and tired of people who need to tear down someone else in order to bring themselves up. This is not a zero sum for the state. Good things can happen and be different in different parts of the state. Please quit trying to find statistics and bend them to your unneeded argument.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:45 PM

678 posts, read 799,361 times
Lol wow. That density number for Greenville doesn't make any sense. Is it really twice as dense as charleston? I'll have to look more into that. I'll just be shocked if that's true but funny things can happen I guess when you look at cities and not metros. Anyway, there's also a very good reason why Columbia has a low per capita income and that obviously is students. Our city population has a way higher student % than either Greenville or charleston. When you look at non students I'm sure we're in line with the other regions. And many students spend their parents' or loan money so their low income doesn't mean there's necessarily little economic activity coming from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area