Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 02:36 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,272,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
I noticed that they are tearing down the old SMI building supply building at the corner of Huger and Blossom. I imagine they will break ground on the private dorms any day now.
It's about time! Was excited from the start to see those get going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 07:55 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Do yall think we'll ever get a skyscraper thatll top the Capitol Center's 350 feet? Itll be 30 in 3 years. Even Bama has one at 745ft. Does Columbia have new height restrictions?

Old 07-30-2014, 08:38 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,031,420 times
Yes, eventually. I don't foresee it soon, though. I think mid-rise in-fill is the trend of the day in Columbia and that is not a bad thing, even though I would love to see a 400+ ft tower in the CBD.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:50 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,845,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Do yall think we'll ever get a skyscraper thatll top the Capitol Center's 350 feet? Itll be 30 in 3 years. Even Bama has one at 745ft. Does Columbia have new height restrictions?
The CBD is the only place in Cola without a height restriction with only a few exceptions.

I have my doubts on a new tallest, but there's a little hope. Just gotta wait til the market gets right. Total vacancy for office is pretty high metro wide, with not a lot of contiguous space. The residential market has seemed to somewhat pick back up with a few apartment complexes and buildings on the way. And hotels are on the way DT, so we'll see how they do. Still hoping for that mixed-use.

But I think with Columbia Common on the way it might move a new tallest farther and farther out of view with so much residential, office and hotel space going in there.

And RSA tower kinda popped up out of the middle of no where for Mobile. But with all the new tallest going up in Miami, New York, Chicago, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Fransico, Boston and Philadelphia I can still see that day when something tops the BB&T building.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:04 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,272,969 times
I agree with Brussel, I think most everyone will be happy with a 400+ foot tower in the near future. I don't think Columbia is ready for a 700 foot tower, plus, it would stick out like a sore thumb in the skyline. I often use Mobile as an example, as their skyscraper is certainly a pretty tower, but it sticks out like a sore thumb as it is by and far the tallest building in Mobile.

SCSU- With the ever decreasing space in the CBD as you've been stating, will there be a need to wait a few more years and finally build an extra tall building? Or will Columbia continue to spread it's office space out with midrises and mixed development like the Columbia Commons?

Old 07-30-2014, 09:18 PM

746 posts, read 748,149 times
I think if a developer can find an anchor tenant, a new 400+ could be built. There is just not as much "fun" money these days to build a speculative tower. I think it could happen, but all the pieces would have to fall in place first. Also, I am a big cheerleader for a new 400+ tower.

Omaha is a good example, though. They built a 600+ building, and it does not look too out of place!

Old 07-30-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I agree with Brussel, I think most everyone will be happy with a 400+ foot tower in the near future. I don't think Columbia is ready for a 700 foot tower, plus, it would stick out like a sore thumb in the skyline. I often use Mobile as an example, as their skyscraper is certainly a pretty tower, but it sticks out like a sore thumb as it is by and far the tallest building in Mobile.

SCSU- With the ever decreasing space in the CBD as you've been stating, will there be a need to wait a few more years and finally build an extra tall building? Or will Columbia continue to spread it's office space out with midrises and mixed development like the Columbia Commons?
Well vacancy is still at 11.41% for the DT area which is about 400-500,000 sq. ft left. I made the statement of not enough contiguous space within DT which would constitute for a taller building. I could see a mid-rise or high-rise office building in the CBD if Cola Common office space doesn't get off the ground first.

Also your last question, I was saying with the current limits it would make things spread out once the current lots get developed, which shouldn't take long with all the announcements so far this year.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
I think if a developer can find an anchor tenant, a new 400+ could be built. There is just not as much "fun" money these days to build a speculative tower. I think it could happen, but all the pieces would have to fall in place first. Also, I am a big cheerleader for a new 400+ tower.

Omaha is a good example, though. They built a 600+ building, and it does not look too out of place!
I agree.

I believe if it's proposed companies will be pop up.

But you also have to look at when some of these buildings were built. All of the ones you have named so far came before the recession when banks were handing out loans, and developers were more willing to build in smaller markets. Today most of the speculative is in larger markets ex. today would be Salesforce tower and Wilshire Grand, possibly even the Hudson Spire.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:10 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
I mean I brought it up cause this has been the tallest building in SC since 1987. Thats quite a while, especially something only 350 feet high. Soon rollercoasters will be going that high. Charleston has obvious restrictions, but with Columbia and Greenville, Ive just noticed a stall over the years. I wasnt talking 700ft+, I was just giving an example of another state.

I know Cola and Gville dont wanna be like Charlotte and ATL, but I'd love to see the skylines grow a little faster. Charleston is definately speeding up with the midrises at least and Gville and Cola have gotten some new midrises in the past couple years, but I want highrise lol. And the buildings are only getting prettier. Architecture has changed alot since the 1980s. Yes IK its weird to call a building pretty.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:49 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I mean I brought it up cause this has been the tallest building in SC since 1987. Thats quite a while, especially something only 350 feet high. Soon rollercoasters will be going that high. Charleston has obvious restrictions, but with Columbia and Greenville, Ive just noticed a stall over the years. I wasnt talking 700ft+, I was just giving an example of another state.

I know Cola and Gville dont wanna be like Charlotte and ATL, but I'd love to see the skylines grow a little faster. Charleston is definately speeding up with the midrises at least and Gville and Cola have gotten some new midrises in the past couple years, but I want highrise lol. And the buildings are only getting prettier. Architecture has changed alot since the 1980s. Yes IK its weird to call a building pretty.
One reason there aren't more high-rises is that there aren't a lot of large companies based in South Carolina that would occupy a large part of a skyscraper. I do think there will be a new downtown tower announced in the next year or two, though. Whether it will be taller than Capitol Center, though, remains to be seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area