Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:34 PM

678 posts, read 800,386 times

Advertisements

Let's keep it real though. I am a generally liberal person, especially on social issues, generally pro-Obama, pro-immigrant, and pro gay-marriage. I do think blacks still do experience subtle and not-so-subtle racism in this country and they do have a tougher road in general due to a host of complicated factors. So I'm sympathetic to the black hardships, as much as a white male can be I suppose. I don't blame them if some happen to be worried how they're viewed or even hold a grudge against us. I probably would too if I were black.

I think it's important though to be able to speak openly and honestly. Do large crowds of partying black people scare most white people, at least more than partying whites ? Probably. I think Jesse Jackson said himself he used to be scared of black people following him on a dark night in the city. I dunno. Speaking honestly and openly as a white male I probably wouldn't want to live in an apartment complex with 200 partying young black people in the parking lot. Maybe that's sad. Maybe it says something about me. But just keeping it real. Come to think of it, I wouldn't want to live in a place with 200 white people partying either, but if I had to choose id choose the latter and probably be more worried in the former. Sad perhaps but again I'm just trying to keep it real. Race in the 21st century is complex and not a black and white issue , pardon the pun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 09:41 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,569,739 times
It's better to talk about it than brush it under the rug. I'm not African-American, but I felt that the racial qualifier was unnecessary. I wouldn't want to live anywhere that a neighbor had a party of 200 people in a parking lot. In their house, orderly in their backyard, ok, but not in a parking lot.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:45 PM

22 posts, read 37,653 times
*sigh* I guess we'll keep discussing this.

Let me make one thing perfectly clear. It had nothing to do with the color of their skin but the MANNER with which they were acting. Aggressive, loud, and drunk. If it was any other race of 200+ acting the same way, I would feel the same.

Perfect example: I was at a tailgate at Clemson as a Carolina fan with hundreds of drunk white people who were aggressive and I was extremely uncomfortable. Did anything happen in either situation I was near/involved with? No. Was I still uneasy about the situations? Yes.

I agree that there are still a decent number of people who are still somewhat racist about things whether or not they realize it but they aren't meaning to be (I understand that this doesn't justify it). But someone specifying whether a person or people are a certain race doesn't make them racist. That just breeds distrust between people and divides our society even further which is not something we should be doing.

Also, Racism is a two way street as anyone can be racist or discriminatory (which is different than racism for those of you who cry racist at everything), not just white people.

When walking down the street, I don't actively see race. But if I see a group of young men approaching me looking "sketchy," my common sense will tell me to be careful regardless of their race. If an aggressive homeless person approaches me in five points, I'm going to be uncomfortable regardless of their race.

Just because I was uncomfortable in a situation because of the way a large group of drunk people was acting and happened to mention their color, does not make me racist. In fact, I might not even be white. You just assumed I was due to the tone of my post about my aggravation with the degradation of what used to be a nice college student community into something less safe and less desirable as a place to live.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:57 PM

678 posts, read 800,386 times
True. White people at football games (and let's be honest , football games are mostly white people) can be incredibly aggressive at times.

Maybe I'm the jaded one. All this talk about race lately in the media has made me more race conscious than ever. It's just on my mind a lot. Perhaps I should work on that?

Old 12-29-2014, 10:06 PM

22 posts, read 37,653 times
I agree that this talk of race in the media is bringing to attention certain negative aspects of our current society like the fact that police are able to be blatantly actually racist and get away with it which I guess is good for people to know about.

But, the problem is that stupid political pundits and the media are using this to their advantage (Al Sharpton is worse than someone like Glen Beck/Rush Limbaugh in my opinion, and that's saying something, right?). They are hyping up these situations and blowing them out of proportions and causing people to feel justified in doing things like the riots in Ferguson (not the protests - the riots) or the targeted killing of the two NYC police officers by that domestic terrorist.

Instead of dividing the country and pitting white vs. black, men vs. women, gay vs. straight, etc., these people with influence should be motivating people to do better for themselves and better by others.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:45 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero0nc View Post
But, the problem is that stupid political pundits and the media are using this to their advantage (Al Sharpton is worse than someone like Glen Beck/Rush Limbaugh in my opinion, and that's saying something, right?). They are hyping up these situations and blowing them out of proportions and causing people to feel justified in doing things like the riots in Ferguson (not the protests - the riots) or the targeted killing of the two NYC police officers by that domestic terrorist.
Smh....again.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:48 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,371,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Whenever you use race as a qualifier for why the group was a problem, then it is a racist statement, whether intended that way or not. Would any African-Americans on the board like to offer their opinions?

I guess there are two ways of reading into zeros statement. 1) By saying the race of the individuals.. I can conclude that zero is probably not African American 2) If that is true would he have said XXX number of white teens hanging in the parking lot? as a qualifier?

That said, I wouldnt call him a "racist" though his description would make me feel that he may be "prejudice" to some extent.. I would consider him "racist" if he called the police when 200 African Americans are in the parking lot but not when 200 whites are in the parking lot and doing the same thing......because he is actually "acting" on his prejudice in a manner that affects someone else.. i.e. the police coming to end the party...

Old 12-30-2014, 10:03 AM

Back on topic.. Were the police that showed up from RCSD or CPD or Cayce PD? I thought that Cayce had a substation in one of those complexes down there because of the fact that it was a good ole fashioned land grab annexation thus putting it miles away from Cayce proper (via roads). The other issue with these types of development is they are already in sections of the City that are either industrial or lower income that without the benefit of gentrification, which in the case of Arthurtown is not happening since some of the areas down there dont even have public sewer access. Thus when the band stops playing at WB stadium..the area offers little to those students with a housing choice or to potential residents who have options to pick where they want to live.

I can see it becoming a party central (for any race) because it is isolated.. No homeowners association like in Rosewood or Shandon to keep them students under control.. thus the place will get run down from the partying..All it takes is a date rape, mugging, or worse to happen and all the females will move out for safety reason.. and many males may follow suit since many use their proximity to females off campus to enhance their social life. The original investors pocket all the money from the deferred maintenance, sell it to a corporate slum lord and voila.. you have "The Colony" the complex off of W. Beltline Blvd. that is privately held and crime ridden. Lets keep in mind that Hendley Homes, Saxon Homes and the like were all started as forms of temporary housing (military, low income families, etc) for one group or another and built in low in come areas that were in decline and evolved (devolved) into notorious complexes that eventually had to be destroyed...these complexes on Bluff Rd are already behind the 8 ball because of their location.. the rest of the chips are just beginning to fall.

Last edited by Woodlands; 12-30-2014 at 10:12 AM..

Old 12-30-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post

The City should turn down this development and force them to find another location. Hell, why not send them over to Columbia Commons.. they have plenty of land over there and the danger of it becoming a "slum" is less likely. In fact they could probably INCREASE the rents as the development occurs in the area and it becomes more desirable..and the area could transition from student housing to market rate with the additional amenities of the Commons.. That is not going to happen off of Bluff Road.;....The City is also invested in Columbia Commons with the infrastructure and the stadium.. why not try to prop it up more? If the City has to do any infrastructure work along Bluff Road, water, sewer, etc.. that grounds enough for turning it down... though I know they wont do it....

Old 12-30-2014, 12:43 PM

117 posts, read 183,983 times
So much has been done to clean up that area around the stadium but it seems like such a tall task with all the industrial business down there. I personally wouldn't want to live down there even if I was college age again because of the lack of grocery/restaraunt options. Area has gotten amazing for game days but still seems to be a stretch to call it a desirable location for full time residence. Someone mentioned trenching out the river to the stadium and that made me think it would be neat to see a new road built from the backside of the old farmers market to 277. Land looks clear... Is this feasible?? Most of that land is USC's now and that would create a true USC/Williams-Brice exit that could be further developed to attract travelers/restaraunts/housing to that area rather than forcing the issue on Shop and Bluff. This would make those new apartments being built a lot more desirable over long term as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area