Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 10:32 PM

22 posts, read 37,644 times

Advertisements

To those of you talking about these complexes becoming shanty-towns and things of that nature, it's already happening. The copper beech development hasn't been able to completely lease its buildings for a few years now and it's got some fairly low prices. I currently live in the development and the management is rude and incompetent. The amenities are wearing and not being fixed (the pool is starting to get gross). There is a major problem with crime and local, non-college student population are moving in and creating an unsafe environment which is increasing the problem causing more students to not live there. When I was in the leasing office, they had little stickers on their map for where units were already leased and i would say it was barely half at the beginning of the summer (probably close to 2/3s from what I've seen).

There are huge block parties where people are aggressive and loud. I was standing on my friends porch in the complex at his pretty large party of around 40 and witnessed what could have been close to 200 black teenagers were in and around two adjacent units and in the entire parking lot sitting and standing on cars blasting music. I'm just hoping that those cars were all their own. They were blocking vehicles and yelling at people trying to get into/out of the parking lot. Eventually the police arrived to break it up. There are increased patrols and hired police to live in the complex. It hasn't helped. The woodlands complex is right next door and is having none of these problems simply because it is about $100 more expensive per person and has a better reputation.

With these complexes going up near campus, these two further away complexes will eventually become ghettos, as it is already happening in copper beech. I'm still kicking myself for living here.

But, to be fair, there is still about what I would say is 3/4 of the population here being students so it isn't unbearable, yet. And that is a big yet. I have some female friends who are terrified of walking to the gym at night because they will get cat-called by guys hanging out on the front porches of some of the units. Is their fear justified? Not likely, but they shouldn't have to be afraid. The area is headed downhill and is bound to become similar to or a part of the rough areas off of south beltline.

Sorry if i sound jaded but I've had to put up with the ridiculousness of this place and the horrible management has aggravated me more than a few times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 10:58 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,568,167 times
^I fail to see the relevance of the race of the teenagers. Your post lost me at that point.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:26 PM

Sorry, it doesn't have any relevance. I was just recalling things as I observed them.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:20 PM

421 posts, read 574,616 times
Sorry Zero. Hopefully you can leave that place soon

Old 12-29-2014, 12:55 AM

Being a college student, I also know a disproportionate number of drug dealers in the community compared to others as well. And not the kind dealing small quantities to friends. The kind with a reason to own firearms.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:37 AM

117 posts, read 183,955 times
Wow- talk about walking on egg shells. I read this post and absolutely in no way read into your description of a group of two hundred or so people in describing them innocently as "black." I don't read at all that it was because they were black but because of their behavior. I love all people and actually feel that making a point to call out ZeroOnc for writing this post or even seeing it as offensive is way more of a sign of progress being needed than the post itself. Sorry Wacamatt you are a great contributor and have been for a long time and I mean no disrespect but that über sensitivity is a sign of racial divisiveness. How should he describe a group of two hundred people who have one thing in common who happen to be congregating? I think it seems safe to say from the other details in his long, well thought out post that if the group was white and displayed the EXACT same behavior he not only would feel the same way about it being a sign of the neighborhood falling down but would probably described the group as "two hundred or so white teenagers sitting and standing on cars, blasting music, and yelling at people as they entered the parking lot"

Old 12-29-2014, 06:42 AM

By the way, it's not in my nature to "put someone on blast" but I feel like ZeroOnc not only was attacked AND categorized incorrectly originally but the class with which he responded was further notice he was unfairly being accused of being devisive.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:27 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonatco View Post
By the way, it's not in my nature to "put someone on blast" but I feel like ZeroOnc not only was attacked AND categorized incorrectly originally but the class with which he responded was further notice he was unfairly being accused of being devisive.
The guy wasn't "attacked" and no one "categorized" him. Are we reading the same posts?

Old 12-29-2014, 11:19 AM

^I fail to see the relevance of the race of the teenagers. Your post lost me at that point.
Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Sorry I had to copy and paste because for some reason my phone wouldn't all ow to check the "quote message in reply" button. But this to me incinuated that because of the race of the group of people was being described that it was so inappropriate/confusing that he was lost. "ZeroOnc" took the time to give an in-depth response on-topic about concerns someone on this thread raised about some of this growth making it possible that the housing pool get diluted to the point that we could have concerns down the road as rates drop. He has already experienced some issues in a fairly new development and took the time to share his experiences. I read it and never thought for a second that he was making the race of the people the issue but when someone chimes in and says they fail to see the relevance of their color thus making the post uncomprehendable it paints ZeroOnc in a light that I don't think (and could be wrong) he was intending his post to be. After reading Wacamatt's post I fealt it cast an unfair racial undertone that didn't exist which would then be attached to ZeroOnc. Maybe I read into it incorrectly but it seemed rude and exaggerated to say you were lost to the point that you can't comprehend the point he is making and painted him in a negative light. That's what I think but I'm not the smartest guy in the world and don't want this to get too deep. My bad... Wipe the slate clean please

Old 12-29-2014, 04:42 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,568,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonatco View Post
I stand by my point - the race of the teenagers was irrelevant. The point could have been made as such: "there was a group of 100 people partying at one of the apartments" or something like that. I'm not apologizing for pointing out thinly veiled racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area