Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 06:08 PM

117 posts, read 183,955 times

Advertisements

Ok, just as I thought. That's the unfair accusation I thought I heard from your original post pointing out something you saw as racist when it wasn't there IMO. Thanks for clearing that up- looks like he was in fact categorized by you. I disagree and think it's unhealthy inject such hyper sensitivity I believe I probably want the same thing as you (equality for all) but we have different interpretations of what it takes to get there. You think he brought race into it I'm sure but I think you made it about race. Oh well, I enjoy our posts for the most part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 07:36 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,568,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonatco View Post
Ok, just as I thought. That's the unfair accusation I thought I heard from your original post pointing out something you saw as racist when it wasn't there IMO. Thanks for clearing that up- looks like he was in fact categorized by you. I disagree and think it's unhealthy inject such hyper sensitivity I believe I probably want the same thing as you (equality for all) but we have different interpretations of what it takes to get there. You think he brought race into it I'm sure but I think you made it about race. Oh well, I enjoy our posts for the most part
Whenever you use race as a qualifier for why the group was a problem, then it is a racist statement, whether intended that way or not. Would any African-Americans on the board like to offer their opinions?

Old 12-29-2014, 07:38 PM

22 posts, read 37,644 times
I am not now nor have I ever been racist. Not in the slightest. I'm sorry a single word in my post made it seem as though I am...

The point is that other complexes do not have these problems or if they do, it's not nearly as significant. It was an irrelevant detail but just a detail nonetheless.

I hate to sounds racist but this isn't an isolated incident. This has happened on multiple occasions by varying groups of people. College students party; whites, blacks, whatever race. Even some foreign (Arab) students (my neighbors) were "throwing down" and had a larger party that began to spill into the streets. However, I will note that there is a notable lack of aggressive behavior from most of them. I was making a comment on one that was so exceptionally bad that police had to show up and actually caused people to "scatter" to surrounding areas in the complex because they technically were not allowed to be there.

In fact, copper beech has changed policies making some absurd rules not allowing a congregation of more than ten people in a unit...which is just moronic. I'll have more than ten friends over while studying/watching TV.

I know it's going to sound racist to some but I'm just stating the facts here. The problem is that people moving into the complex are throwing parties and telling their friends and their friends' friends to bring anyone they know and before anything happens there are too many people (and drunk people at that) in the area creating hazard.

Btw I saw someone mention 100 teenagers...well, there's actually a pretty significant difference between 100 and over 200. (about 100% difference for those who are confused)

I actually worked as a minimum wage worker recently and got invited to a party by a coworker living here. He does not attend any school and told me that copper beech is seen as super classy in his old neighborhood (South Beltline) and is attractive for parties because of the college atmosphere is is seen as cool, exciting, and fancy.

Again sorry if I come off as racist or angry in this post but I didn't realize that I was going to get called a racist on a student living topic where I had kind of an insider perspective.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:40 PM

Also, I think you need to look up the definition of racism.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:01 PM

12,925 posts, read 18,770,297 times
If I came home to my apartment complex to 200 white people partying in the parking lot, I'd say to myself, "That's strange. Who parties in a parking lot like this?" If I came home to 200 black people partying in the parking lot, I wouldn't say that to myself. I would think it was typical and I'd be worried about where I lived. Sorry. That's just the way I see it. To me that's not racism.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:21 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Whenever you use race as a qualifier for why the group was a problem, then it is a racist statement, whether intended that way or not. Would any African-Americans on the board like to offer their opinions?
I think any person of color could respond to this. Waccamatt raised a very good point. When you grow up experiencing racism on a regular basis you become very attuned to its subtle (and not so subtle) manifestations. As a person of color, I have to admit that my first instinct when I read Zero0ne's post was that it had all the markings of race-baiting. I re-read the post and I still get an uneasy feeling in my stomach. In these situations, I have always found it best to err on the side of my instincts. Life experience has taught me that is the safest bet.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:39 PM

I just had to look up what race baiting is, and when i re-read my post I see very much so how you could get that. I'd also like to point out that this is also exactly what waccamatt seems to be doing.

How many of you are college-aged or younger? My generation hasn't experienced racism believe it or not. We don't even comprehend it. Of course, people still sadly see race and they always will just as they do gender, height, weight, or the size of someone's nose. However, this does not indicate racism.

Can we get back on topic of the original post?

I just read that they're building another large townhouse-style student living complex in between assymbly and olympia. Near the blowfish baseball stadium. I think the market is going to end up heavily over-saturated which will force prices down. Sadly, I'll probably be gone before I get to benefit from this.

Edit: I believe they're called The Oaks and already have a website up.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:10 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero0nc View Post
I just had to look up what race baiting is, and when i re-read my post I see very much so how you could get that. I'd also like to point out that this is also exactly what waccamatt seems to be doing.

How many of you are college-aged or younger? My generation hasn't experienced racism believe it or not. We don't even comprehend it. Of course, people still sadly see race and they always will just as they do gender, height, weight, or the size of someone's nose. However, this does not indicate racism.

Can we get back on topic of the original post?

I just read that they're building another large townhouse-style student living complex in between assymbly and olympia. Near the blowfish baseball stadium. I think the market is going to end up heavily over-saturated which will force prices down. Sadly, I'll probably be gone before I get to benefit from this.

Edit: I believe they're called The Oaks and already have a website up.
Smh...

Old 12-29-2014, 09:17 PM

...obviously that was a generalization intended to make a statement if you weren't able to pick up on it.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:20 PM

117 posts, read 183,955 times
I just read that original post again Wacamatt and their color was NOT a qualifier for why the group was a problem it was the behavior they displayed. The color was a descriptor... I was going to say that I belive most people regardless of background would read it the same way but I see that Davey 123 is saying it made him feel uneasy. I'm surprised at that but I respect it. My thought is if your afraid to say someone is black or white or Asian it seems more color conscience because it is the easiest descriptor. My example is without any connotation just what the person/people can most easily be described as. I think being overly conscious is part of the problem but I guess a non racist white guy sees racism less than anyone so mistakes may be made in judgement on my part... but my gut tells me it's too much hypersensitivity and defies common sense if you are walking on egg shells even when every part of your life in ACTION proves you believe in equality but because you say "he was a black guy" or something like that it could be perceived by someone as racist. Obviously the subject needs to be changed but we are obviously both reading this completely different even though the same words are on the screen for both of us but it seems that ZeroOnc has stated that was not his intent and I trust 1. my reading comprehension
2 that he says he didn't mean it like that. I'm done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area