Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 01:04 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,030,426 times

Advertisements

Of course not, and blue collar work is not Columbia's forte. Just using that as an example.

Perhaps I should have used the IBM and Fluor developments as examples, but my point remains that a stronger economy in any part of the city from any kind if growth is good for the city and region as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 01:09 PM

12,883 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Do you put a store in Greenwich Village? Or does that pull business away from midtown Manhattan?

Old 08-13-2014, 10:26 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Does everything have to be industrial?
No, but realistically, Columbia would land a large manufacturing development before a big F500 company relocation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
Of course not, and blue collar work is not Columbia's forte.
I wouldn't go that far. While Columbia has more white collar jobs than Charleston and Greenville due to state government, the banks, and insurance companies, there's still tons of blue-collar jobs in the area.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:34 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
I wonder if this "spill over effect" will reach places like Historic Waverly in the east and Colonial Heights in the north. Colonial Heights its the area along Colonial Drive and Marshall Street. It is between Richland Memorial and Farrow Road. Lots of opportunity for infill and rehab in this area...and its right outside Columbia Commons. I guess only time will tell.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:32 AM

46 posts, read 67,141 times
I hope it does, I drive down Beltline all the way from Devereaux to Main street on my way to work and that area between Two Notch to Main really needs some help. There are a lot of empty lots and a couple of vacant car dealerships. They recently built a Dollar General from the ground up behind the McDonald's at the corner of beltline and two notch though. According to Bing Maps there was one next to the Piggly Wiggly down the road.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:16 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No, but realistically, Columbia would land a large manufacturing development before a big F500 company relocation.

I wouldn't go that far. While Columbia has more white collar jobs than Charleston and Greenville due to state government, the banks, and insurance companies, there's still tons of blue-collar jobs in the area.
What will it take for Columbia to gain a F500 company? I really would like to see my hometown get one or do you think Charlotte is too close.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:02 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
What will it take for Columbia to gain a F500 company? I really would like to see my hometown get one or do you think Charlotte is too close.
I think Columbia's best bet lies with insurance, but Charlotte's proximity is indeed a factor. And I don't foresee SCANA rejoining the F500 list.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think Columbia's best bet lies with insurance, but Charlotte's proximity is indeed a factor. And I don't foresee SCANA rejoining the F500 list.

Remind me why SCANA moved out of the City? The development of the HUB aside.. If they had remained and simply relocated somewhere else downtown.. it could have introduced a new tower. If they wanted a suburban type of campus they could have moved over to the Commons.. They seemed to have jumped the gun with their impromptu exit especially since trends show corporations are not moving in mass to corporate suburban style office parks anymore for a variety of reasons.....

Old 08-26-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiknick View Post
I hope it does, I drive down Beltline all the way from Devereaux to Main street on my way to work and that area between Two Notch to Main really needs some help. There are a lot of empty lots and a couple of vacant car dealerships. They recently built a Dollar General from the ground up behind the McDonald's at the corner of beltline and two notch though. According to Bing Maps there was one next to the Piggly Wiggly down the road.

That entire area is the "forgotten City" part of Columbia. I think that area is perfect for some infill mixed use developments with the focus on workforce rental housing. Tear down the old car dealerships.. build apartments with service retail on the first floor and surface parking. Add developments, such as senior housing to some of the vacant parking lots near the grocery stores and build smaller multi family development on consolidate lots that contain residential structures that front Beltline between Farrow and Two Notch (lets face it most people would NOT want to walk out their front door of their single family home onto a street named BELT..anything.. because it is a highway. A new development can design to limit its intrusion...Because it is a major east west corridor.. bus lines can easily be enhanced to take people cross town, in town and out of town to suburban areas. Existing retail would be supported by the influx of new residents. As the core of Columbia becomes more expensive and desirable.. lower income residents may be displaced. They cant move to the Summit because of the increase in commuting cost. Redeveloping Beltline would be a good opportunity to provide additional housing options for seniors and working families closer to the core.....

Old 08-26-2014, 09:13 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,030,426 times
Their old office tower was functionally obsolete and they wanted to consolidate disparate employees into one corporate HQ. Columbia Common was probably not considered because of the cost and red tape, not to mention the redevelopment plans that have been in play for so long. There were some people who suspected the new campus was built to make them more attractive for a takeover by Duke or Progress since it a more economical option than renovating the Palmetto Center. Time will tell if that speculation proves true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area