Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 06:57 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Local retailers need all the business they can get. Competing against national chains (that offer the same shopping experience as every other city or metro that has them, except for Mast General Store) is making it difficult for the little guys to stay afloat.

"Shop Proud, Shop Columbia"

Independent retailers face challenges that chains don't - USATODAY.com

An edit is in order: BTW, this post is for Columbians and has nothing to do with any other city or metro, even though this thread was started by someone from another metro with negative intentions.
This article is interesting. Yet, it does not yield any new information. We all know that when times are tough, it is particularly difficult for independent retailers.

This is taken directly from the article: during a recession, consumers tend to favor low prices over value, which can hurt smaller shops.

This is true. I would modify this statement to suggest that you can get value at lower prices too. And, some chains offer the same (or similar) items at lower prices. If a person is trying to save money, then it obviously is more cost-effective to shop at the place that has the cheapest prices. If that happens to be a chain, then so be it. Again, this is nothing new.

I am a proponent of shopping at both local stores and at chains. Nevertheless, I admire your passion for shopping locally. It seems important to mention that there are many cities where local retailers and chains successfully coexist. I'm sure that you are aware of this. Yet, the urgency in your message sometimes seems to overshadow that reality.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:57 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,337,669 times
Default Good Vista News-AFLAC leasing a whole Floor at Huger/Laurel ATT building

Good Vista News: [duck logo going on building too]:

Aflac, which bought a Midlands insurer a year ago, is expanding in Columbia.
The Columbus, Ga.-based insurance giant, which competes with Columbia-based Colonial Life, has leased 28,000 square feet in the AT&T building at Huger and Laurel streets, the building’s owner confirmed Tuesday.

John Baker, managing partner of Baker & Baker Real Estate Developers, said Aflac will take the third floor of the five-story building at 400 Laurel St. and will have room to grow as AT&T reduces the size of its operations in the next year.
Aflac, which bought Columbia’s Continental American Insurance Co. in October in a $100 million deal, also will retain Continental’s two Devine Street offices, local chief executive Chris Goodall said. At the time it was purchased, Continental had about 163 employees. It since has grown to about 200, Goodall said.
The company is leasing the additional space “to accommodate current and future growth,” said Goodall, who would not say how many more employees Aflac is planning to hire locally. The company is planning an official announcement as early as next week, Goodall said.
When it bought Continental, Aflac kept the local company’s name. It has not formally announced a name change. However, signs on the Devine Street offices have been changed to Aflac.
Baker said the new sign for the AT&T building, approved by Columbia’s zoning board Tuesday, will include the name Aflac and “the all-familiar duck” the company uses in its marketing.
“We’re excited to have them in downtown Columbia,” Baker said.

[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Old 08-11-2010, 05:20 PM

12,918 posts, read 18,765,744 times
This move will increase Columbia's role as one of the insurance centers of the nation.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
This article is interesting. Yet, it does not yield any new information. We all know that when times are tough, it is particularly difficult for independent retailers.

This is taken directly from the article: during a recession, consumers tend to favor low prices over value, which can hurt smaller shops.

This is true. I would modify this statement to suggest that you can get value at lower prices too. And, some chains offer the same (or similar) items at lower prices. If a person is trying to save money, then it obviously is more cost-effective to shop at the place that has the cheapest prices. If that happens to be a chain, then so be it. Again, this is nothing new.

I am a proponent of shopping at both local stores and at chains. Nevertheless, I admire your passion for shopping locally. It seems important to mention that there are many cities where local retailers and chains successfully coexist. I'm sure that you are aware of this. Yet, the urgency in your message sometimes seems to overshadow that reality.
There are a few places in this country that put their foot down and refuse to allow national chains. Those places tend to end up on highest quality of life lists - cities in Vermont, Massachusetts and the like. Now don't get me wrong - I wouldn't expect Columbia to be one of those places and reject a trendy chain, but for as long as we don't have some of the sameness those chains bring, I won't be complaining.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:39 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I just joined The State so I can post there. My screenname is waccamaw.
That wasn't the one.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:02 PM

Has anyone shopped at City Roots in Rosewood? It's a farm that sells its produce on site. Their products are also available at several local stores.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,605 times
Default Duck logo vs. At&t

You mentioned the Duck Logo is going on the building. I know AFLAC applied for a sign but it doesn't say if it's going on the building or out front. AT&T has their signs on the building now. Actually AT&T is on both buildings at this complex. I can't imagine they will just bow down and remove their sign. As a Fortune 500 Company and one of the few in the Dow Jones Avg, I can't see AT&T conceding anything to AFLAC. As a consumer and investor I don't think that's going to happen, UNLESS AT&T wants it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
Good Vista News: [duck logo going on building too]:

Aflac, which bought a Midlands insurer a year ago, is expanding in Columbia.
The Columbus, Ga.-based insurance giant, which competes with Columbia-based Colonial Life, has leased 28,000 square feet in the AT&T building at Huger and Laurel streets, the building’s owner confirmed Tuesday.

John Baker, managing partner of Baker & Baker Real Estate Developers, said Aflac will take the third floor of the five-story building at 400 Laurel St. and will have room to grow as AT&T reduces the size of its operations in the next year.
Aflac, which bought Columbia’s Continental American Insurance Co. in October in a $100 million deal, also will retain Continental’s two Devine Street offices, local chief executive Chris Goodall said. At the time it was purchased, Continental had about 163 employees. It since has grown to about 200, Goodall said.
The company is leasing the additional space “to accommodate current and future growth,” said Goodall, who would not say how many more employees Aflac is planning to hire locally. The company is planning an official announcement as early as next week, Goodall said.
When it bought Continental, Aflac kept the local company’s name. It has not formally announced a name change. However, signs on the Devine Street offices have been changed to Aflac.
Baker said the new sign for the AT&T building, approved by Columbia’s zoning board Tuesday, will include the name Aflac and “the all-familiar duck” the company uses in its marketing.
“We’re excited to have them in downtown Columbia,” Baker said.

[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Old 08-18-2010, 11:02 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVINtheVISTA View Post
You mentioned the Duck Logo is going on the building. I know AFLAC applied for a sign but it doesn't say if it's going on the building or out front. AT&T has their signs on the building now. Actually AT&T is on both buildings at this complex. I can't imagine they will just bow down and remove their sign. As a Fortune 500 Company and one of the few in the Dow Jones Avg, I can't see AT&T conceding anything to AFLAC. As a consumer and investor I don't think that's going to happen, UNLESS AT&T wants it to.
The developers sell rights to the company with signage on the building and there are building with multiple signs. It has nothing to do with the size of AT&T. Besides, they aren't competing businesses.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:31 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Wow, I cannot believe how you children fight over Columbia and Greenville. No one get your feathers ruffled. I listed them alphabetically. I'm sure someone will pitch a fit. This sounds like high school or a bunch of 5 year olds fighting over Cabbage Patch Kids.

Both cities have great things about them. Both have things that stink about them. That's the nature of cities, towns, villages, counties, states, etc. Stop comparing each other! They are both VERY different. And from where I'm sitting in SC, I'd be THRILLED to have half of what Columbia has. I'd pee my pants with excitement if we had half of what Greenville has. Be happy you have so much where you are! Lots of us don't and it sucks.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:45 AM

That's a refreshing perspective. I've noticed it has been a few days or maybe even a week since any intense arguing about the two cities. Hmmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area