Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 11:45 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Who needs a time out and to spend some time standing in a corner? Back to be 5 year olds I see.

This is the COLUMBIA forum. Can we talk about COLUMBIA? This is supposed to be about retail coming to COLUMBIA. Greenville and Charleston both have their own forums. Go chat on them. Geesh. Enough bickering!

Anyone know if anything is coming to Village at Sandhill or Two Notch Road? Like Two Notch needs more stuff.....LOL
We were chatting about that a few pages back. According to their website, there are a few stores and restaurants that have opened recently or are due to open soon, so they're getting some infill.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:45 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Who needs a time out and to spend some time standing in a corner? Back to be 5 year olds I see.

This is the COLUMBIA forum. Can we talk about COLUMBIA? This is supposed to be about retail coming to COLUMBIA. Greenville and Charleston both have their own forums. Go chat on them. Geesh. Enough bickering!

Anyone know if anything is coming to Village at Sandhill or Two Notch Road? Like Two Notch needs more stuff.....LOL
Alright...fine back on topic. I'm pretty sure Academy Sports is coming to Columbia very soon. Possibly Harbison Blvd. from what I hear.

-Crazy 8 for Village at Sandill

-Arden B for Columbiana Centre

-DTLR for Columbiana Centre and Columbia Place

-Best Buy is moving to old Circuit City on Two Notch Road: http://ldiline.com/showpdf.cfm?proj=17317&file=001CVR_CS1.pdf&dir=CVR (broken link)

Old 08-26-2010, 11:50 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Alright...fine back on topic. I'm pretty sure Academy Sports is coming to Columbia very soon. Possibly Harbison Blvd. from what I hear.

-Crazy 8 for Village at Sandill

-Arden B for Columbiana Centre

-DTLR for Columbiana Centre and Columbia Place

-Best Buy is moving to old Circuit City on Two Notch Road: http://ldiline.com/showpdf.cfm?proj=17317&file=001CVR_CS1.pdf&dir=CVR (broken link)
How the heck do you find these things out? I see you posting like a maniac in Greenville about stuff coming. You need to find a way to get paid for finding out this stuff!

Old 08-26-2010, 12:12 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,647 times
There used to be a Gold Gym's, Ole Timey Meat Market, and some other stores on Two Notch (in NE Cola). They have torn down those buildings and are obviously going to build something else. Does anyone know what they are going to build at that location?

Old 08-26-2010, 12:43 PM

435 posts, read 1,530,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
There used to be a Gold Gym's, Ole Timey Meat Market, and some other stores on Two Notch (in NE Cola). They have torn down those buildings and are obviously going to build something else. Does anyone know what they are going to build at that location?
I believe that's going to be the new Dick Smith Nissan (yet another old-line Two Notch business relocating further up in the Northeast).

Old 08-26-2010, 04:37 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
How is Greenville outmatched when compared to Charleston? Both have major companies expanding (BMW and Boeing)
Boeing is still building its facilities, so how can it be expanding? Even without Boeing, Charleston's GDP is larger and its unemployment rate is consistently lower. Household and per capita incomes are higher also.

Quote:
both have major national retailers (J. Crew, Apple, Pottery Barn)
Charleston has more, and has many more of those sorts of retailers downtown.

Quote:
both landed Southwest Airlines
Charleston had a major low-cost airline before Southwest (Air Tran), and its airport is busier.

Quote:
both have around the same population
Charleston is growing faster.

Quote:
both have beautiful downtowns, etc.
Charleston's is more beautiful, more visited, more historic, more urban, more nationally and internationally acclaimed, etc. Charleston is mentioned in the same breath as cities like New Orleans, San Francisco, etc. in terms of the most visited and most beautiful.

So yes, outmatched. That's why you stay out of the Charleston forum, because you know you'd get your a$$ whooped.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:49 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,613,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Ummmm....perhaps you should try to travel a bit more so your post can be a bit more factual. Streets of Southpoint has both JCPenney and Sears as anchors.

One of the South Florida's best malls Aventura, has them as well. Lots of nice malls around the country have JCPenney and Sears as anchors along with other better anchors.

Check out Dadeland where Saks, JCPenney and Nordstrom all share the same customers.

Haywood is nice due to the fact it has stores like Apple, Pottery Barn, J.Crew, Aldo, Guess, Ann Taylor, Coach, etc, etc.....most stores Columbia sadly just doesn't have.
If Haywood had better anchors to offset JCP & Sears, then I would agree that it would put Columbia Malls to shame (which was the original argument) but, it does not. And, as long as you are fact checking, based on the directory, Coach does have a store at Columbiana. Greenville.......spelling OK???

The question is not whether or not Columbia can support national retailers (if you have evidence to the contrary, please share it). Retailers like Williams Sonoma, Banana Republic and others are in Columbia. And it is no secret that Apple has been scouting the area, the question is where they will go. Retail stores are specific in where they want to be to the point where some will not go in places where there are columns in the floor space.

I am not sure if Columbiana has more room to grow, anyone know that?

Old 08-26-2010, 04:56 PM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times
The comparison between Greenville's downtown (which reminds me of my parakeet's cage - a fun set-up but limited in the territory it covers) and downtown Columbia's massive spread will never die in these threads, thanks to the parakeets. I was noticing on the way home today how far and wide I saw people walking, biking and jogging on city sidewalks, and my drive home begins in West Columbia and ends almost at Forest Acres east of downtown Columbia. Columbia is definitely not a condensed little city; the street grid is very, very big-boned, and pedestrians are coming and going in little snippets all across the urban landscape during the day, while the nightlife districts are gaining people exponentially. The comparisons between these two distinct, unique cities are silly. BTW, my state government job is mentally draining and takes gobs of attention to detail, and it's all about service to the public, a service the offending poster had better hope he never needs, not that I wouldn't bend over backwards for him if he needed our services and I got his case, but that's beside the point. Fly away, little parakeets.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:00 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,613,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Between Greenville and Columbia, Greenville wins hands down, but honestly, it shouldn't.....Greenville had nothing to build off of. Greenville in the late 1980's had a rundown city center with no college, no state government, no major museums, etc. Greenville and Greenvillians worked hard and created from nothing.....the city did something amazing and now gets to enjoy the success.

Columbia however, did have plenty to build off of.....state government, state museums, a large university.....for some reason though, all those government institutions failed to really advance downtown Columbia into a great area. The Main Street area, though trying, is still fairly dead. Are Columbians not "go getters"? Do they not have "mojo"? Does depending on government and mindless government jobs breed mediocrity? Why does downtown Columbia lag its instate peers? Inquiring minds want to know.
Greenville has a nice downtown, no argument but, wins hands down??? Who in Columbia is not a "go getter"? Who does not have "mojo"? Are you talking about the entire area or the city government? You could also ask a similar question of Greenville......you are right in the middle of the I-85 corridor between 2 of the fastest growing cities in the country. 2 of the nations busiest airports (both operating nicely without Southwest-we do not need them in Charlotte) are an easy drive from your town and you are not even the fastest growing region in your state. Why? Raleigh, Charlotte, & Atlanta all have been growing at a tremendous pace yet, Greenville has some of the lowest income and education levels not only on the I-85 Corridor but, also compared with ite peers in SC. If you have the answers for Columbia, what is the deal with Greenville?

Old 08-26-2010, 05:16 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,338,192 times
Default Time for Some Impartiality in the Whole Greenville vs Columbia Smackdown

Look, they've both got their pluses and minuses, yes Greenville's Downtown is a more fully realized vision right now and Columbia's is still finding it's identity but Columbia's potential is huge if you look five years down the road. If commercial occupancy rates go up and you can have a fully occupied devine street, 5 pts, Vista and Main street then Columbia will be better than Greenville. Greenville's glass on the other hand is already three quarters full and has less room to grow it's downtown to to space limitations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area